Author Topic: 2007-10-07 stable branch (Xt version)  (Read 55285 times)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: 2007-10-07 stable branch (Xt version)
Just a quick question that popped up in me mind earlier in another thread...

Is it possible to make an animated height map for the subspace vortex effect, or would it have no effect at all in the current rendering of normal/height maps?

If not, how difficult would it be to make it so?

:)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Uhh, no, you can't do that since it would crash when you are viewing weapons (as sip is NULL in that case).  Plus it makes the zoom behave in a non-uniform manner, which was avoided on purpose. :)
Oops, yes, crashes nicely :o Hmm.. 1 line of code :sigh:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Weird- The normal maps are working, but only for the Ulysses...

(sorry if this has already been noted, I didn't read the thread)

EDIT:
ooh, the Dragon is also all greeeeeen.

EDIT2:

Actually none of the normal maps are working. :(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 07:45:05 am by Snail »

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
I got the green dragon too (normal maps are working fine though).

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Is it possible to make an animated height map for the subspace vortex effect, or would it have no effect at all in the current rendering of normal/height maps?
No, but it wouldn't really do anything anyway, since both normal and height map effects are dependent on lighting and the warp vortex is rendered without lighting.

Using animated normal/height maps is something that will most likely wait until the material system goes in.  There is nothing in the current code that prevents use of animated maps (other than the fact that it won't bother to try and load them), it's just not all that efficient (on mod makers that is).  Perhaps for 3.6.11 I can be persuaded to add support for animated maps, but it still wouldn't be usable on the warp vortex since you couldn't even see the effect of the maps.

Oops, yes, crashes nicely :o Hmm.. 1 line of code :sigh:
It's no big deal. :)  I had tried something pretty similar early on in the new lab code, but it just didn't work out very well.

ooh, the Dragon is also all greeeeeen.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,49939.msg1010258.html#msg1010258

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I have GLSL enabled but Normal maps don't work. Is it related to the mediavps?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I have GLSL enabled but Normal maps don't work. Is it related to the mediavps?
Assuming that you are using -normal as well, the only other real problem would be mediavp related.  DaBrain changed all of the filenames in the beta mediavps, but in the normalmap VP I provided I used filenames for the older mediavps instead (for greater compatibility).  So if you are using a beta version from DaBrain then that is your problem.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
I'm getting the stutters in gameplay as well. Not sure exactly what causes it...but it really gets in the way of playing.

I'm running an 8800GTS and it works flawlessly with 3.6.9

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I'm getting the stutters in gameplay as well. Not sure exactly what causes it...but it really gets in the way of playing.

I'm running an 8800GTS and it works flawlessly with 3.6.9

Here is your answer:

One thing, people should test. Performance. These builds run smoother (more FPS) than old ones while looking BETTER.

BUT at least in my system I've got bigger slowdowns the very first time effects, (explosions, shockwaves, etc.) are triggered,...
Yeah, that's something that I do need feedback on from everyone.  I also randomly get bigger slowdowns at certain times.  None of those effects use the new shader code, so it shouldn't matter, but neither ARSPR or myself are able to get the same slowdowns when not using GLSL.  So, any feedback from any of you would be helpful with this.

But any info you could give Taylor would be great. Test whatever you think of...
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
New FS2NetD code:  The new FS2NetD code should fix a TON of bugs in the old code, plus just work better overall.  It is, however, incompatible will the old code.  So, anyone playing multiplayer will need to make sure that everyone involved is using this build in order for the games to show up.

Finally had a minute to try out the standalone fixes.  I noticed the servers, games, and pilots are not showing up on FS2NET.  Is this by design or am I just looking in the wrong place?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Finally had a minute to try out the standalone fixes.  I noticed the servers, games, and pilots are not showing up on FS2NET.  Is this by design or am I just looking in the wrong place?
The FS2NetD server/client is incompatible with what everyone has been using, so it has to run separately.  Eventually it will replace what is currently running, but right now it just sits there running no mods and doesn't show up on the website.  I can setup the mods if the mods actually want it, but the website can still only monitor one of the servers at the time.  I had thought about making a separate FS2NetD page just for monitoring the new server/clients, but so far not enough people are using it to warrant such a thing.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hey taylor, that reminds me.  I've been meaning to offer my services as a php website developer (professional now, I just got a job) to help out FS2NetD.  You need any help with it?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Hey taylor, that reminds me.  I've been meaning to offer my services as a php website developer (professional now, I just got a job) to help out FS2NetD.  You need any help with it?
Don't really need anything at the moment.  Adding mod support was the only big thing that we needed, and that has already been taken care of.  I'm not against some other sort of an upgrade though, if you have any ideas.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hurr...

Maybe not for FS2NetD, but we could sure use some help with IndieGames. :)

This is not a code issue or problem, just something I noticed and how to fix it...

There's (at least one) mis-named file in the normalmap pack, namely fighter03-01a.dds, which should be fighter03-01a-normal. It causes the Shivan Dragon to be greenishly transparent and damn ugly. So if your SF Dragon looks green and partially transparent, it's because of this, not because of any card/driver issue (because it uses intended normal map as a texture, which doesn't work very well as you can imagine.

I fixed it by extracting the file from the normalmap VP to ..\normalmaps\data\maps\ and renamed it appropriately; then extracted the Dragon texture (real fighter03-01a.dds) from MediaVP's, and shoved that to the same normalmaps data subdirectory to override the mistakenly named file.

If one extracts this normalmaps vp to a directory such as the one you propose, and -normal -height is enabled in the command line, will the new build search down through the mediavps directory until it finds what it is looking for?  Right now, I have the normal maps running but I have just dropped the nm_test.vp into the main mediavps directory.
mb:  Asus A8AE-LE, athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz, 1024mb ram (2x512 pc3200), evga geforce 7600 gt 256mb gddr3 pci-e, hdd 142gb, 56gb

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
If one extracts this normalmaps vp to a directory such as the one you propose, and -normal -height is enabled in the command line, will the new build search down through the mediavps directory until it finds what it is looking for?  Right now, I have the normal maps running but I have just dropped the nm_test.vp into the main mediavps directory.

It's just vital for anyone understanding how and where FS2 looks for game data, and related to it, how you should handle different mod installations. Spend some time reading and understanding it. Believe me when I say it can save you TONS of troubles, (and it can save moderators a lot of time reading and answering "this mod/mission/game doesn't work" posts.   :nervous:).

You can read about it in several places. Here you have two from wiki:
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/FS2_Data_Structure
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Command-Line_Reference#-mod
(And, of course, Karajorma's FAQ. Look for any post from him and you've got the link in his signature)
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Kara's FAQ = External Sites > The FreeSpace FAQ link on the top of every Forum page.

EDIT: and, (when I finish it :rolleyes: ) there will be a wikified version of Kara's FAQ, too.

It's just vital for anyone understanding how and where FS2 looks for game data, and related to it, how you should handle different mod installations. Spend some time reading and understanding it. Believe me when I say it can save you TONS of troubles, (and it can save moderators a lot of time reading and answering "this mod/mission/game doesn't work" posts.   :nervous:).

You can read about it in several places. Here you have two from wiki:
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/FS2_Data_Structure
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Command-Line_Reference#-mod
(And, of course, Karajorma's FAQ. Look for any post from him and you've got the link in his signature)

Thanks for the information -- I've generally understood most of what FS2 does so far, and haven't promulgated a lot of "this doesn't/didn't work" posts.  I was really just looking for some clarifcation.  I'll read the links.
mb:  Asus A8AE-LE, athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz, 1024mb ram (2x512 pc3200), evga geforce 7600 gt 256mb gddr3 pci-e, hdd 142gb, 56gb

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Thanks for the information -- I've generally understood most of what FS2 does so far, and haven't promulgated a lot of "this doesn't/didn't work" posts.  I was really just looking for some clarifcation.  I'll read the links.

Oooops, sorry if you missunderstood my words. I didn't want to accuse you of anything. It was more a general thought...

And nevertheless, as a general rule, hard-light forum members are extremelly polite and willing to help anyone, (even when they ask about FS & 2+1  :lol:). I was just pointing a little sin, we all commit from time to time...

Oooops, sorry if you missunderstood my words. I didn't want to accuse you of anything. It was more a general thought...

And nevertheless, as a general rule, hard-light forum members are extremelly polite and willing to help anyone, (even when they ask about FS & 2+1  :lol:). I was just pointing a little sin, we all commit from time to time...

No problem at all -- I think my post may have come off wrong, as well, I genuinely meant thanks for the info :)  I checked it but will give it a more exhaustive read later tonight.