Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 269880 times)

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Isn't MW4 freeware, now?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Last I heard, yes.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I got bored of checking to be honest. This way my bro's got the CDs too. (bless, CDs :lol:) too.

Uziel still my favourite. Dunno what all this mek pack crap is though.... :rolleyes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
New mechs, and a few gameplay enhancements, as well as working online multiplayer.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I only LAN it when i'm "allowed :lol:" to borrow his cd. The bloody git's only had the thing 3 days....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
New mechs, and a few gameplay enhancements, as well as working online multiplayer.
Kinda miffed I couldn't use them in Mercenaries, though.

Uziel was my favorite medium 'Mech too, as well as the Hellhound.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Hellhound for the win!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Cougar, **** year.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
My Uziel will eat your Cougar

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hellhound for the win!

While I think the MW4 Hellhound is the best mech in the game (in Mercs, that is), it's definitely not a Hellhound.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Neither is the Chimera (a Chimera, I mean), and probably half a dozen other 'Mechs.  The Chimera, I know for sure, is 5 tons too heavy.  The others don't mount canon schemes or schemes that even COULD be canon.  Then again, those things can mount so much damned armor it's not like it matters.

On the realism (:ha:) scale, it goes BattleTech ---> MechWarrior ---> MechAssault.  I'm hoping the new one leans a little closer the BattleTech than the last one did.

My Uziel will eat your Cougar

The Cougar would probably like that.

So where's this MW4 freeware I hear about???

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not out yet. Go to mektek.net to get the latest news. They're currently working on getting an online installer/matchmaking/updating prog running. They will release it real soon nowTM.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Enzo03

Answers are Coming!(R)

Actually, they have already come, except for the ACTUAL RELEASE DATE.
Here's the thing: Don't go running off to piratebay for a copy of the game just yet, simply because they said "oh hey we get to give this out to you guys so here, but you gotta wait".
It won't work that way. Only the version Mektek is going to release will be authorized as the free release...

Hopefully it isn't news to anyone.

Also, regarding the Mechwarrior reboot's legal issues... I have found a post that may be a bit disturbing for some unseen fans such as I:
Quote from: Gwarsbane, on the Mektek Forums,
I'm closing down this thread because you guys just don't seem to understand.

HG has all the proper international legal rights to stop any company (or any one in general if they wanted) from using those designs anywhere around the world (except Japan, because thats where another company has the rights).

Just because the court case happened in Japan doesn't mean its limited to Japan. The actual owner of the images just happens to live in Japan, thats where HG had to go to get the rights for those images, though they don't have exclusive rights as there is another company involved and thats who FASA went to. Thats where FASA went to go get the rights to use those same designs. But they should have talked to both HG and the other company at the same time about the international/North American rights to those images, but they didn't. HG took FASA to court for using their internationally legally protected images to make a profit. HG won because of they legally did everything right. FASA lost because, while they tried to do everything right, they only went to one company and that company gave them rights they were not legally able to give them.

What HG did this time around, was legally everything they were suppose to do. When they seen the warhammer walking around in that trailer they sent out C&D letters to everyone involved, including those hosting the videos, and those who made the video.

The image/design of the mech is a lot like the HG image/design. I've heard many numbers over the years on how much an image can change before its considered original, 30% 40% 50%. I don't know what the actual number is but to me, and untrained eye, that designed looked very close to the HG image/design and HG thought so too and since all the legal stuff had not been cleared as we had all thought it was, HG is doing what is legally allowed to protect their legally owned internationally protected copyright on those images.

Like it or not, HG is legally allowed to do what they are doing. They are protecting their legally protected international copyright on those image/designs.

What does this mean for the future of the unseen? I don't know, my hope is that everyone that needs to be involved can sit down and talk and reach an agreement that would make everyone money and even better, make the fans of the unseen very happy.

And on a side note, no they don't own the rights to those names so, S&T could use radically new and different designs with those names and no one could say anything about it.
http://www.mektek.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=140841&pid=1161063&mode=threaded&start=100#entry1161063

Not that it is what I agree with or would like to mention. Some people still want to argue, so they made another thread (which will probably be locked)
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

What's Harmony Gold's problem. Are they making any money off these designs? Selling some DVDs of an 80s cartoon. Granted there was Shadow Chronicles but that was pretty lackluster. Dunno if they're doing more.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The real great part about it is that all Harmony Gold owns are the rights to a heavily-edited mash-up of three different animated series, none of which it created in the first place.  And because of that, they're able to somehow prevent completely-unrelated shows like Macross Frontier from being feasibly licensed over here, or sue over a random mech design in a game.  It's wonderful how rights ownership works, innit?

The real great part about it is that all Harmony Gold owns are the rights to a heavily-edited mash-up of three different animated series, none of which it created in the first place.  And because of that, they're able to somehow prevent completely-unrelated shows like Macross Frontier from being feasibly licensed over here, or sue over a random mech design in a game.  It's wonderful how rights ownership works, innit?

Doesn't Macross Frontier use new designs? I assume they don't have SDF-1s and VF-1s and VF-1Ses etcertera in there so why would they have any rights? I don't get it. Though knowing Macross, they probably through in a Mac Monster in there just for the fans to drool over (ie me).

Another thing I don't get is that Macross II the movie and Macross the original series are both here. Hell so is Southern Cross and Mospeada. I know. I own them all. So what's the difference.

I know on Classic battletech .com there was some big "yah we're getting the unseens back! booya!" kinda thing going on but I figrued it wasn't going to happen anywhere and apparently I was right.

Though with this video game. How a company can develop a game totally and use old designs without getting permission first is baffling to me. It's like developing a Star Wars game without the rights.

Also notable is that Classic Battletech does jhave "reseen" art for these old designs which look similar enough to probably appease the fans in the video game. So why they can't use these I don't know. Same difference.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
And because of that, they're able to somehow prevent completely-unrelated shows like Macross Frontier from being feasibly licensed over here, or sue over a random mech design in a game.

Frontier would be impossible to license (for dubbing, at least) over the music, not Harmony Gold.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
And because of that, they're able to somehow prevent completely-unrelated shows like Macross Frontier from being feasibly licensed over here, or sue over a random mech design in a game.

Frontier would be impossible to license (for dubbing, at least) over the music, not Harmony Gold.
Ah, that's right, I'd heard something about that as well.  I'd imagine that Harmony Gold wouldn't make things any easier, though.

Doesn't Macross Frontier use new designs? I assume they don't have SDF-1s and VF-1s and VF-1Ses etcertera in there so why would they have any rights? I don't get it. Though knowing Macross, they probably through in a Mac Monster in there just for the fans to drool over (ie me).

Another thing I don't get is that Macross II the movie and Macross the original series are both here. Hell so is Southern Cross and Mospeada. I know. I own them all. So what's the difference.
From what I understand of the situation, it has nothing at all to do with specific designs, but instead with the copyright of Macross as a franchise.  Harmony Gold apparently retains the US sub-license of the original Macross series due to its role in Robotech, and so any domestic license of a Macross series would have to take place with their agreement.  ADV's release of the original Macross is in partnership with Harmony Gold, and I'd assume that Manga Entertainment had to work with them to license Macross II and Macross Plus.  The issue's also complicated by the various Japanese companies that hold partial rights to the series.  This Wiki article for Macross Zero mentions some of the complexities; I'd imagine the same circumstances apply to Macross 7 and Macross Frontier.  Combine those issues with the possible financial infeasibility of paying Harmony Gold to release anything over here, and it's small wonder why we haven't seen more Macross domestically.

From what I understand of the situation, it has nothing at all to do with specific designs, but instead with the copyright of Macross as a franchise.  Harmony Gold apparently retains the US sub-license of the original Macross series due to its role in Robotech, and so any domestic license of a Macross series would have to take place with their agreement.  ADV's release of the original Macross is in partnership with Harmony Gold, and I'd assume that Manga Entertainment had to work with them to license Macross II and Macross Plus.  The issue's also complicated by the various Japanese companies that hold partial rights to the series.  This Wiki article for Macross Zero mentions some of the complexities; I'd imagine the same circumstances apply to Macross 7 and Macross Frontier.  Combine those issues with the possible financial infeasibility of paying Harmony Gold to release anything over here, and it's small wonder why we haven't seen more Macross domestically.

I still want to see a DVD of Macross: DYRL. The movie adaptation of the original series.
The only version I saw had 30 minutes cut out, and was dubbed by someone who learned English as a second language.  

It was awful.