Author Topic: Default Gun Barrel Angle  (Read 10081 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Taylor, and it should be fixed in the next build.  It's a case of checking for a texture name with case sensitivity in a check for thruster glows in general from what I understand.  Check your Mantis bug, as he and I have talked about it there.

I guess it was technically a media issue to begin with, but since filenames have been pretty cleanly established as case insensitive in FSO, it does make sense to fix it in code.  Of course, fixing both would be a piece of cake (again, read the bug report; it's a 10-second fix in PCS) if you want to take care of 3.6.7 media in a way that's best for 3.6.7.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 02:50:12 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Nuke
did the spelling of relitive change in any recent builds :D
It's spelled "relative".  Look it up.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Originally posted by Goober5000
It's spelled "relative".  Look it up.

it was a joke dude, remember how bobb didnt know how to spell it when he implemented the feature. :D i think its gotten to where if you fixed the spelling of the variable name, modders would complain :D

wait i think it was changed [/moron]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 03:15:34 pm by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Well, I am continuing to work with plain ole ships.tbl for now -- it will be a trivial matter to copy and paste into an XMT file later.

Here are screenies so you can validate the choices of turret position I made.  Comments / feedback welcome.

Aelous: Four foward turrets face forwards, after turrets aft.  Barrels angled up 20 degrees.

Deimos: Two foremost dorsal turrets face forward, after turret faces aft. Barrels angled up 20 degrees.  Ventral turret faces forward with barrels at 45 degrees to clear ship structure.

Hecate: Forward three dorsal turrets face forward; barrels at 20 degrees.

After turret faces aft.  This turret doesn't seem to work properly, or is just so poorly constructed as to stand out badly. The new Hecate will be 100,000 times better.

I did not touch the short barreled ventral turrets, which are also horribly constructed and look awful altered.

Iceni: Turrets arranged logically according to position on the ship.

The ventral side turrets face out their respective sides.

Orion: Forward turrets are all facing forward, barrels at 10 degrees.

I go back and forth on which way to face the after turrets.  For now, the upper after turret faces aft.

As does the midships ventral turret.

If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
That hecate turret is the same as all of the others, except that :v: mounted it backwards in the geometry.   Bad :v:

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Admiral Nelson

Oddly, some turrets don't play nice with the animation code.  The gun barrels depress to the proper angle, and the turret itself rotes to the right place, but the gun barrels don't rotate with the rest of the turret!  The hi poly Satis and Aten are both like this:

Any ideas?
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Oh great, are those heirarchies not right?

Barrels should be children of their turrets.  Those might just be siblings.  I'll look in to it.

EDIT: Yep, they are.  I think I can fix them though without needing to have access to the scenes to compile them.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Ok, Fixored.

heirarchy_matters.zip

I didn't get a chance to check the Aten properly, so give it a thurough go-over.  I did look at the Satis though and it should be all good.  Props to Raa for hooking me up with the fixed model.  (I would have done it myself, but Raa mounted the whole turret backwards :rolleyes: )  If you run in to this elsewhere, let me know.

Admiral Nelson, make sure you include the fixed models with your final release, as they're necessary for proper operation.  Galemp may re-work the Aten some more because of some random turret targeting errors, but we'll deal with that when both have been released.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 11:12:03 pm by 570 »

Offline Admiral Nelson

OKay, that fixed the issue, thanks! :)  I should be done later in the weekend.

Offline Admiral Nelson

Okay, here's another issue.  I think that the animation code assumes that any given turret faces forward.  A turret which faces aft on the model itself confuses the system.  Look at the Medusa for instance -- the gun turret is always turned away from the gun barrels regardless of which way you instruct the turret to point via the animation code:

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
That's a problem with the model, not the animation code.  Topside turrets must ALWAYS face forwards, or even when you don't specify an angle the game will do that.  Same with the oddball turret on the Hecate.  Note it for the HTL conversion of those ships, but it's not something you can fix with the submodel animation code.

Offline Admiral Nelson

D'oh.  The Medusa and Ursa are both that way.  The high poly Aten's ventral turret is also backwards on the model (meaning that it is facing towards the prow, that is).

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
It's a well-documented rule, but everyone forgets now and then.  Unfortunately, unlike submodel offset and parent, I can't fix a backwards turret by editing the raw data.  We'll have to live with them being backwards until a HTL rendition (or in the Aten's case, Galemp's reconversion if/when he ever gets around to it).

Offline Admiral Nelson

All right, here it is:

Download

This release includes angle fixes for:
GTFR Triton
GTC Fenris
GTM Hippocrates
GTC Leviathan
GTD Orion
GTD Hecate
GTD Orion#2 (Bastion)
GTVA Colossus
GTCv Deimos
GTC Aeolus
NTF Iceni
GTT Argo
GVFr Satis
GVC Aten
GVC Mentu
GVCv Sobek
SC Cain
SC Lilith
SFr Mephisto
SD Demon

Some ships with crude geometry or turrets haven't been fixed; its not worth the trouble until they are high pollified.

Try it and let me know what you think.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 09:53:25 pm by 1537 »

Offline redmenace

Re: Default Gun Barrel Angle
Could we move this thread to the FSU forum?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Were the earlier issues with 3.6.7 builds resolved, or will these only work with new cvs builds?

Offline Admiral Nelson

AFAIK the support for XTM files such as this one is only present in post 3.6.7 builds.  The entries I made do work in older builds, but would have to be placed in ships.tbl.  That would mean that mods using a different ships.tbl would also have to be edited to see the effect.

Offline Admiral Nelson

I have made a tiny edit to the XMT file to support the new Hecate's ventral turrets.  The original release left them vertical as they were so crude and blocky the actually looked worse.  This edit depresses the barrels on these two turrets in an appropriate manner.

http://www.fileh.com/NelsonAndBronte/TurretAngleFix.zip

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Wow, really nice! I'm glad you did this.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Admiral Nelson

12/22/2005 update:
Added support for Stratcomm's new Medusa.  I do not actually have access to FS2 at my current location, so I'd appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to try this out for me real quick and make sure there is no issue.

Thanks!

http://www.fileh.com/NelsonAndBronte/TurretAngleFix.zip