Author Topic: FS2 Stock Campaign Nameplates RELEASE  (Read 12088 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
FS2 Stock Campaign Nameplates RELEASE
Hi folks,

I have created nameplates for every ship in the main FS2 campaign which belongs to a class which supports nameplates -- Fenris/Leviathan, Aeolus, Deimos, Orion and Faustus.  The link includes all the required nameplates in addtion to edited main campaign missions with the nameplate replacement included.  The missions include the nameplates Galemp created for the two Hecate class destroyers in the campaign.  You will need the latest media VP and patches, specifically Stratcomm's nameplate fixed models and the new Hecate model.

http://www.fileh.com/NelsonAndBronte/FS2Nameplates.zip

This wasn't supposed to happen! :)

Of course, let me know of any feedback.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 05:46:15 pm by Admiral Nelson »
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: FS2 Stock Campaign Nameplates RELEASE
Erg, only one problem with sticking it in the mediaVPs...it doesn't look like you used the mission files from mv_effects to start from, so these missions don't have the skybox.

I don't know how to fix that, it probably only requires filling in a field in FRED for each mission.
-C

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Woot. This is the kind of stuff that I like - the little details which make the campaign that much more real.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Excellent work. No doubt boring and time consuming but this is the sort of thing I like to see too. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Awesome work mate. Exactly what I'd hoped they'd be used for. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline CaptJosh

Would the NTF really have had the time or resources to repaint their nameplates? In "The Mystery of the Trinity," The NTC Trinity had only been AWOL from the GTVN for three weeks, for example.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
With the standards and technology that far ahead, it probably would have been simple to do while it was under repairs. No more difficult than hoisting a new flag while in port; it's only one letter, not a full repainting.

If you wanted to be picky you could just call it "%TC Trinity" where the first letter has been partially stripped away and is unrecogniseable.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Admiral Nelson

Erg, only one problem with sticking it in the mediaVPs...it doesn't look like you used the mission files from mv_effects to start from, so these missions don't have the skybox.

I don't know how to fix that, it probably only requires filling in a field in FRED for each mission.

D'oh -- my bad. I did use the standard missions.  It's just copy and paste work to put them in the mv_effects missions, though.  Shouldn't take me too long.

I did wonder about the Trinity in particular, whether to put G, N or a painted out G under the N, and finally just said the heck with it.  The rebellion was in progress for a year and a half so many if not most NTF ships would have had plenty of time to repaint.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline CaptJosh

Good point on the length of the rebellion. I forgot about that. The NTC Trinity is about the only ship in game that might not have had the time.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

what skybox? :wtf:

anyway, i like this (re)release. but i'll wait until whatever the problem is is remedied. :)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Admiral Nelson

OKay, I have updated the file in the first post with the mv_effects missions for media vp compatability.

I see that Taylor does not recommend the use of TGA nameplates.  What would be the best thing for me to do with the TGA nameplates included here?  To what format should they be converted?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Pcx or dds
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I see that Taylor does not recommend the use of TGA nameplates.  What would be the best thing for me to do with the TGA nameplates included here?  To what format should they be converted?
Install NVIDIA's DDS utilities and use the nvdxt command line program (or whatever other program you have that supports DDS) to convert the images to DXT5.  Then just make sure that the compression didn't mess them up (I doubt it would for those things).

Actually I'll convert them if you want and post a link to the DDS versions.  Most of them aren't power-of-2 anyway and that's a no-no given how much extra memory they would use.

The good thing about DXT5 versions of the nameplates is that they will render faster, use a 4th of the memory of TGA (and one-half the memory of PCX) and work without the -jpgtga option.

Offline Admiral Nelson

If you don't mind converting them, that would be great! :)

That would ensure I don't screw up anything... :)

Edit: I made a typo in the Monitor's nameplate.  Fixed and re uploaded.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 07:58:45 pm by Admiral Nelson »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Had these done yesterday but wanted to test them first (some of the models I have don't use "nameplate" as the nameplate texture name so replacement didn't work at first).  These are resized to be power-of-2, converted to DXT5 with 4 mipmap levels.  The rest of the mipmap levels didn't really show anything since they were so small so I just skipped them.  I didn't test every ship but I tested most, especially then ones that were resized or that originally had PCX nameplates.

http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/misc/dds_nameplates.zip  (just the maps, no missions)

Offline Admiral Nelson

Thanks, Taylor.  A few questions for you: Would you mind posting the command line used to create the final files?  I can then write a little blurb on the wiki explaining the current workflow for creating nameplates.  I presume you just expanded the canvas to resize the non power of two nameplates?  There is no issue in the model expecting a 420 x 61  pixel nameplate and then getting a 512 x 64 one?

I have again updated the ZIP in the first post with the new dds textures.  Again,  Stratcomm's fixed models in the mediavp thread are required for use.  The missions are based on those in the effects vp so that one sees the skybox.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Thanks, Taylor.  A few questions for you: Would you mind posting the command line used to create the final files?  I can then write a little blurb on the wiki explaining the current workflow for creating nameplates.  I presume you just expanded the canvas to resize the non power of two nameplates?  There is no issue in the model expecting a 420 x 61  pixel nameplate and then getting a 512 x 64 one?
That's why I wanted to test before sending you the changes.  It looked ok, but I originally couldn't decide if the map was to be centered in the proper place or aligned at 0,0.  I enlarged the canvas size and centered the old layer before saving it back out.  That appeared to work perfectly but someone else may say that was the wrong thing to do.  I tested the resized images on several ships and it was lined up properly every time.  Give it a test yourself just to make sure though.

For nvdxt I just used "nvdxt -nmips 4 -dxt5 -file *.tga".  The "-nmips" option tells it how many mipmap levels to create.  4 would give levels down to 128x16 and 128x32 which is small enough.  I didn't use the GIMP plugin for this since it makes all mipmap levels and you can't restrict it.

I'll be sure and grab the new models, I've been using original hi-poly releases for quite a few of them a bit too long.

Offline starfox

I played mission"dunkerque" and went to look GTD mesana, only to notice it has some invisible textures around the nameplate.
I also noticed following wierdness...

Ertanax, Loyola and Malta both have GTC "Advocate" nameplate
Oberon, Rampart, Majestic, Refute, Alba, Cato, Conquest, Glorious, Impervious, Fortune, Maelstrom and Trinity are named "GTC Orff"
GTD Carthage also has missing textures around its nameplate
NTD Vindicator also has little piece of texture missing
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 01:55:52 pm by starfox »
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Admiral Nelson

Yeah I see that now.  It seems that the nameplate didn't like being resized.

I have the non-dds files here:

http://www.fileh.com/NelsonAndBronte/FS2Nameplates_bak.zip

I am unfortunately about to leave for the airport so I can't do more testing.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I played mission"dunkerque" and went to look GTD mesana, only to notice it has some invisible textures around the nameplate.
Woops!  :nervous:  That was the PCX file that had to be resized.  I'll have another go at it and update the previous dds files with the changes.  Will update here when that happens.