Author Topic: The ugliest ship in Freespace...  (Read 19893 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Re: The ugliest ship in Freespace...
I disagree.  That center portion is just going to be staring in to the rear end of the container most of the time, and the "shivan triangle" looks far too much like a set of eyes to go there (not that what's there now doesn't also look like a set of eyes, just not exactly shivan).  I'd actually suggest trying to do something like what Nico was doing with his Moloch; put it somewhere less conventional.  Speaking of which, where is Nico's Moloch, and if he's not working on it anymore, what would I have to do to get it so that it could get completed in some form?
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Um, have you actually looked at the old Dis though?  I'm still scarred by those turrets.

They don't look that bad to me. :confused: They're very low on detail but many of the turrets on the original FS2 models were like that. The Dis model as a whole is unremarkable (smaller and crappier looking Sathanas) but there is a lot worse in there, like the original SAC 3.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Many mesh refinements. Suggestions on how to further enhance it are welcome.

Side by side with the old 'un:

I'm considering removing that 'shell' on the front of the cargo, and instead representing the little 'wings' through a set of spikes like I did on the back end of the freighter.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Spiky and evil. I like  :yes:

Noice!

...even though we only get to see it once...or twice...in the whole FS2 campaign.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Noice!

...even though we only get to see it once...or twice...in the whole FS2 campaign.

That's OK, I'm sure we can get Blaise Russel to do a campaign where you're stationed on a Dis and marooned outside GTVA space for 30 missions. *Readies candy* :p
-C

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
More enhancements, this time on the bottom. I have a feeling this is gonna be the final version.

And another iteration of the cargo's top. I think this is less clumsy.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Raptor

Pretty good.  The only thing I dislike (really) is that cluster of three re blobs in the centre of the front.

Not too sure why, but it just looks, wrong to me...  But bu all means keep going!
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a featureā„¢
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Nice! :yes:
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Pretty good.  The only thing I dislike (really) is that cluster of three re blobs in the centre of the front.

Not too sure why, but it just looks, wrong to me...  But bu all means keep going!

Same. It reminds me of HAL or the Sector X boss from Starfox64 or some other such goofy robotic entity. *shrugs* Just doesn't feel quite Shivan. Everything else is fantastic though.  :yes: :yes2:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
You'd prefer them symmetrically arranged in a triangle, like on the nose of the Cain?

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
The dis has allways reminded me of a dung beetle. :lol: Or ether brings back fearful images of a certain Stag Beetle.

Looks good. :yes:
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
You'd prefer them symmetrically arranged in a triangle, like on the nose of the Cain?

I think, like pointed out before, that they look more like eyes and that they look wrong being obstructed by the cargo pod. Try looking for another place to put them, maybe.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

those eyes remind me of sentinels from the matrix movies   :wtf:
they are the only thing that must be fixed in my opinion, either a triangle or no eyes at all (like in the orginal and would be better i think becouse mostly offensive ships have this triangle thing   ;7 ) maybe some kind of docking doors look at other shivan freighters, maybe one of them has something like this.
Overall nice job the model could be maybe a bit less "round" it would make it look more aggresivly.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
hmm. I'm thinking of trying out a kind of toothy maw, suggested by the original textures. I'll give it a shot and come back later.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
 :yes:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Tried a couple things.

In my opinion this looks way too anthropomorphic.

And this just looks wrong.

I still prefer the original eyes/dockpoints that I concieved of in the first iteration.

Hi,

While I can see how the first seems anthropomorphic, it has a much more aggressive appearance and looks better compared with the second. However, too me, it seems as if in the original Dis, those heavy metallic lines were not necessary "teeth" as it is implied in your creation. I guess you might consider trying to blend in the "teeth" into the background skin of the ship so that way the front of the ship does not resemble a mouth. I can't say much there since I have no idea when it comes to creating new ships like you have done.

You have done a great job remodeling the Dis. If nothing can be done about the front of the ship, I'm sure others will have better ideas than me, or you might just go back with the original front you had, which looked fine as well.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:37:16 pm by m2258734a »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
How does it look with just one large 'eye'? Like in the first pic, but with the other two removed. Might not even bother to center it, since it could look more interesting asymmetrical.
-C

Offline starfox

I don't know...I personally like the first "Eye Gonfiguration" the most, but one assymetrical could also be interesting.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 07:18:35 am by starfox »
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP