Author Topic: RELEASE: FS2 Stock Missions with Lightspeed Nebulae  (Read 33758 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: RELEASE: FS2 Stock Missions with Lightspeed Nebulae
Pleae post up any other minor bugs you may know about.

"Regulus" is misspelled as "Regulas" in several places. :)

At the end of the 1st mission, I thought I had pressed "Alt+J" correctly, then I had to help my father in a job. After half an hour, when I returned to the PC, I saw that I didn't press "Alt+J" correctly. And the GVD Psamtik was still here after half an hour, because the wings deployed by the Psamtik (Theta and Zeta, IIRC) didn't have any movement order, so the Psamtik never departs.

This is definitely a bug.  Mantis it.

I've seen it myself as well... apparently, ships which arrive via fighterbay (as opposed to via subspace) just stay still.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Hey, I remember noticing this in Just Another Day 2. In the mission where you have to kill Not Derek Smart, the Lawyer wing of Basilisks just stays where they begin. As I approach, target and attack them, they retaliate, however.

I assumed it to be part of the campaign. You never know in those fun capmaigns what is a bug and what is meant to be.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dysko

I've tried with FRED (launching some figthers from an Orion), and the fighters actually stay still...
I'm Mantising the bug.
And sorry for the off-topic, Admiral.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I've been using FRED recently to launch fighters and they all work fine. I'm not using RC 7.9, however, just the old RC 7.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Fixed the 'Regulas' jump node misspelling.

What else do we have for bugs? :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline ShivanSpS

Something can be done about Nebtu? if you save it, there is nothing in the debrief and him, and again, if you save it, they reach the jump node and nothing.. do not jump.

I know that the Nebtu is not supose to live, but is indeed hard to save it, but is posible.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'd suggest making it certain it dies as anything else would need voice acting work.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Entirely nit-picking here, but if you're fixing things, even though it's not technically broken, could "As Lightning Fall" get the appropriate "s" at the end, please?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Admiral Nelson

Fixed.  That's the objective exactly, to correct picky stuff such as this. :)

I'll look into the Nebtu.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
As Lightning Fall may be correct, though, no? Lightning could be plural... and things fall.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

where should I put this vp? in the media vp dir or somewhere else?
does it work with all scp options, or do I have to use a special flag for it to work?

thanx,

Bartus

Offline Admiral Nelson

Whoops, Raa is right,  "As Lightning Fall" is actually correct:  Luke 10:18  "And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven."

The vp should go in mediavps, along with the Lightspeed nebula vp to work.

I was told there was a bug involving Bearbaiting.  This is after the Sathanas jumps out and you are to engage the Beleth.

Destroying the Beleth means that you fail the objectives to disable the primary beam cannons of that destroyer. Shouldn't destroying the Beleth mean that those objectives are already met?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That's right; I remember getting burned with that bug at least once (which really cheesed me off, considering how many tries it took me to disable all 4 of the Sathanas' beam cannons).  I'd say that destroying a ship pretty much renders its primary beam cannons ineffective, wouldn't you? :p

Edit: After taking a quick look at Bearbaiting in FRED, failing those three secondary objectives doesn't have any consequences whatsoever (i.e., debriefing-wise), other than the failed objectives themselves.  It is frustrating for first-timer perfectionists (like me) if they don't snag all three of the beam cannons, but it really doesn't affect the outcome either way.  (Plus, taking out at least one of the beam cannons first helps you protect the Sobek that jumps in after the Sathanas leaves, and losing that ship does affect the debriefing.)  On the other hand, like I noted above, it is rather illogical for those objectives to fail when the ship is destroyed; besides that, I seem to remember at least one other mission in FS1/2 where a similar objective (for either a subsystem or a turret) registered as true once a ship was destroyed.  Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Edit 2: Gah, Goober snuck in on me. :p
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 01:48:59 am by Mongoose »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It is indeed a bug.  But it's the fault of the mission designer, not the programmer.  The reason the goals work the way they do is so that you can separate subsystem goals from ship goals.  Otherwise, in a situation like "Into the Maelstrom", it would be harder to tell whether Alpha 1 disobeyed orders by destroying the Maelstrom without first taking out its front turret.

With that out of the way... yes, I think it would be good if Bearbaiting was fixed in FRED to mark those goals true when the Beleth is destroyed. :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 01:45:28 am by Goober5000 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I don't think it's a bug at all. By not taking out the beams as quickly as possible you give the Beleth extra time to shoot at the Thebes. At least one of those cannons is able to shoot the Thebes from where it is and Command can't say for certain that the Beleth wouldn't have been able to manouver to bring the other guns to bear. By ignoring Command's orders you placed the crew of the Thebes at risk. Whether you destroy the Beleth in the end or not is rather immaterial to that.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Whether you destroy the Beleth in the end or not is rather immaterial to that.

Indeed, but then you have the secondary bug where Command yells at you if the Beleth escapes, even if it's disarmed. :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Command doesn't yell about the cannons on the Beleth AFAIK though. The presence of a Shivan destroyer in Capella with or without cannons is surely something worth shouting about wouldn't you agree? :D

Even if we assume that it won't be able to repair them in time to be a danger it still may have fighters on board that could have prevented the Colossus from winning in High Noon.

What happened with this file? It seems that it doesn't exist anymore :(

I've only an old version on my HDD, but it has a few bugs i found out during i play the main-campaign again.
I found an invincible GTD Phoenicia in "bearbeating", allied ships (except the Colossus) without active Beams in "their finest hour", sathanas blips at the wrong place in some capella missions (why there're still these sathanas cargo containers in "into the lions den"?) and last but not least a buggy final mission, when i get the outtro exact the same time, when capella goes supernova, so a minute too early and it's impossible to get the "bad end" of alpha 1.

because of this bugs i want to download an updated version of this campaign, but the link is broken :( I hope somebody has a correct link for the current version :)
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline ShivanSpS

The Phoenicia should be invul... its a bug to be destroyed. But I prefer the old way, you dont know when if going to live or die.