Author Topic: Aten debris off-center?  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Aten debris off-center?
Some reason the debris from the Aten cruiser spins about an off-axis (one that comes nowhere close to the center of the debris pieces)... Has anyone else noticed this?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Aten debris off-center?
Maybe the blast waves always blow it apart off center?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The HTL* Aten is riddled with bugs anyway.

* - (HTL sounds cooler than high-poly... can I please call it that?)

Offline Axem

Only if you call the original models Glide (since those models were optimized for Glide rendering).

I notice this glitch with the faustus too, as well as the hit box for that ship being totally screwed up.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
The Aten is a screwed up model. It was victim to a bad conversion or something, or just crappy modeling.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
It has an all new model for the next MVP set, so you can consider this fixed already. :)

Axem; I'll always call them HTL models because it implies more of a change than a simple high-poly model. :p
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Axem

True, they are typically more than a high poly model. Stuff like less texture maps and whatnot. So how about calling it HTL optimized? :p

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
*sobs* I promise you all, as soon as Styx releases a MAX exporter that Kazan is happy with, I'll re-export all my mediavp models.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
lol, don't worry about the rest of them - I've sorted all but the zephyrus now. All your ones in the upcoming MVP release are rock solid stable. :)

That said, the Zephyrus is currently too far gone for it to be so easily fixed, so we can't put it in the MVPs as is. :(
The use of transparent textures makes it far more difficult to repair than your other HTL stuff, and as such I know I would just end up practically rebuilding it from scratch.

Basically there are a lot of places with impossible geometry - mainly around the interior of the transparent textures and where that interior meets the hull as it's kinda like having parts of the hull volume sectioned off by polys. This makes it very unstable, because 3d apps just can't figure it out. Would it be possible to turn the transparent texture stuff into actual geometry as you did with the faustus, and also map it out onto one big texture? It currently uses a total of like 43 individual map files when the shine, glow, normal and height maps are counted. :\

Also, don't be afraid to add a lot more detail, as it seems you didn't add very much external greebles or anything to the original model. :)

Axem: Fine you win! I shall call them HTL optimised, abreviate it to HTLO, and then chop off the O because it makes it look like a retarded version of Y HALO THAR.

:p
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Basically there are a lot of places with impossible geometry - mainly around the interior of the transparent textures and where that interior meets the hull as it's kinda like having parts of the hull volume sectioned off by polys. This makes it very unstable, because 3d apps just can't figure it out. Would it be possible to turn the transparent texture stuff into actual geometry as you did with the faustus, and also map it out onto one big texture? It currently uses a total of like 43 individual map files when the shine, glow, normal and height maps are counted. :\

That should be done.  More polygons and fewer textures is better than fewer polygons and more textures.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Every time you make FSO call setTexture(), God kills a kitten.