Author Topic: My 3.6.10 beams + missile trails patch  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
My 3.6.10 beams + missile trails patch
This patch is intended as a temporary fix until an official patch is made/adopted. It contains 3 beam textures which were posted by HerraTohtori in the 3.6.10 mediavps release thread, as well as a .tbm I made which restores all non-Shivan missiles to their original trail types (although I cannot guarantee that it is identical, and I couldn't remove the Stiletto II's trail because that apparently can't be done with a TBM once the trail is in place.

The issue with the beams, if you are curious, happened because the original textures were only 1 pixel wide and some graphics cards (including mine) didn't like that very much. That's as much as I know.

The .vp file can be downloaded here:

http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.471

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Re: My 3.6.10 beams + missile trails patch
Use this code in the TBM to remove the trail:

Code: [Select]
$Name: Stiletto II
+nocreate ;:
$Trail:
 +Bitmap: none

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
You can do that? I'll have to try that out.

I heard shortly after putting this thing together that the FSU team is very near to releasing their official patch anyway.

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
I kinda like the generic trails. Seems unlikely that every single missle would use a fundamentally different engine.

Anyways, could be that I just can't be bothered to do anything about it.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well it doesn't look as nice, IMO, and I think most others with an opinion agree.

I also noticed that I don't care for the Shivan missile trails that much; I like the missiles (to an extent) but the trails are all the same and they're kind of bland.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I kinda like the generic trails. Seems unlikely that every single missle would use a fundamentally different engine.

Anyways, could be that I just can't be bothered to do anything about it.
Actually even in reality there's countless corporations that make missiles so they end up using different parts.
But you don't see Sidewinders with green smoke coming out of it so... :P

Offline CKid

Actually even in reality there's countless corporations that make missiles so they end up using different parts.

Only in Ace Combat 6.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
They have green trails on Ace Combat 6...?

Offline CKid

Many of the aircraft that you can download from XBOX Marketplace come with custom colored smoke trails.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, but aircraft don't have different coloured engine trails, they use a smoke system (well, usually).

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Subluminal lasers™

If you want to have missiles with 20th and 21st Century engine smoke trails then so be it. But this is supposed to be what? the 23rd or 24th Centruy? You'd think by then missile engines would be entirely different than what we have today? Maybe by then we'd have totally smokeless engines which might be ION type of engines, or plasma which by the way we do have both working engines now.  Heck for all I know, it could be powered by a super high compressed gas of some sort that leaves no heat, visual and Ladar signature.

I think the bottom line is, if you like your missiles with trails, then have fun. If you don't like it, same thing have fun as you have the option of both.
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
I think the bottom line is, if you like your missiles with trails, then have fun. If you don't like it, same thing have fun as you have the option of both.

Ayup