Author Topic: Idea: Models (retail+mvps) in standard formats  (Read 6893 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Idea: Models (retail+mvps) in standard formats
It'd be a tremendously useful asset for modders and 3d modelers to have an archive (a .zip file) (or a separate archives plus a 'full' archive) containing common importable model formats such as .3ds, .obj, etc., for ships, missiles, and other special models.

I imagine the retail versions of these models would be a priority, just because mediavps models are more frequently subject to updates... For most models, I reckon only the highest LOD would be necessary... fighters might also need to have the shield meshes included. As for debris and/or destroyed submodels, I'm not too sure about that...

As for formats, I think the biggest ones are .3ds and .obj, but there might be others common ones I can't think of right now. It is important when converting that vertex positions, texture coordinates, and smoothing info (or vertex normals) are preserved, that everything is properly triangulated, and (depending on the format) that there not be redundant vertices or discontinuous faces.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Re: Idea: Models (retail+mvps) in standard formats
But why would you want to do that? To make it easier for people to use models from the archive to create cutscenes? To make a one-stop shop for all FS fan project resources?

It's easy enough to extract the POFs you want into a temporary directory, open them up in PCS2, and save them into COLLADA format.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
More of resource for modelers interested in HTL'ing retail models, or underdetailed/unappealing mediavps models. Or making Uglies, like the ones with Native American tribe names that Galemp made, or that Orion II design.

But I suppose it would also be useful for cutscenes.

One thing about Collada though, is that not all programs can import it. My modeling program of choice, Wings3D, is one such example. The conversion process from POF to Wings3D is the only thing that I particularly dislike.

Oh yeah, and the .dae files PCS2 exports are often no good  (according to Blender).

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The DAEs PCS2 makes work fine enough in 3d studio max.
However, sometimes PCS2 refuses to export (crashes with Array out of Bounds).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I agree with Aardwolfs suggestion. I for one am just a modeler\texturer and don't know jack about the convertion and blah blah, and tbh I don't have the time to learn it for now.

Sometimes I get the itching to HTL a retail model fast, but don't do it because I don't have an easy access to the original UVed ships (meaning I'd have to start it all from scratch). If for instance I want to HTLize a fighter, having the UVed original model, would allow me to do the HTL version (textured and UVed) in 30% of the time it would take me if I had to start from scratch.

Same goes if the creators of fan models would share their obj's with the community, so that if anyone needs to make slight changes to the models for campaign purposes. Its something that wouldnt cost the model creators any time, but would save lots of it to campaign creators

So having the files in .obj format would incite me to do a bit more sometimes. So go get those files :D
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
This sounds like a reasonalble plan. For example, I was wanting to compare the retail Athena to the current HTL model for accuracy; I could not export the geometry without PCS2 crashing. Thus, having a resource where all the potentially useful resources are in one place WITHOUT having to crack into the .vp files would be really great.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
i approve of the collada idea. cinema 4d has some minor bugs with said models but none too distrupting.

i did do something similar a long time ago for my personal pack and lost it afterwards. its a bit too much work for little gain, and honestly... almost any modeller worth his salt should know something about pofing.

POF-ing is really not that hard and really doesnt take too long to learn. lazyness of many modellers on the other hand...
Spoiler:
granted, i've been ****ing around with POF's, tables, textures, and everything else for the last 5-6 years so i'm not much to go by... + the fact i'm the only one in the tap team who can go from 3D model to ingame-worthy model without skipping out on other steps... wish i could unwrap uv's better but eh :p
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Considering there's a guide in my sig which spells rigging out in detail for Max users
and people unfamiliar with PCS2, shouldn't be much of an issue. All you need is a model that's
UV'd properly and a texture.

Should have an updated one up within a week, fixing a few things.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
lazyness of many modellers on the other hand...

Its not a matter of lazyness bro, its a matter of time. For instance, I still remember I spent days trying to get a simple fighter into FS using the old Styxx Max to Pof converter... and still it was full of bugs. During those times, I had lots of free time.
Nowadays, if I have 2 hours a day of free time (and keep in mind there are other things I do in my free time besides modelling for FS), I can consider myself lucky.
Perhaps in the time it would take me to get going with converting models from FS to Max or vice versa, I could have 2 HTL fighters done...

EDIT: on the other hand, for someone who is already very familiar with the convertion processes of FS, getting all the ships in a standard format (.obj for instance) would be fairly fast. A couple of hours of that person's time, would probably be worth a hundred hours of all the other modelers combined. Simple time economics really.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken