Author Topic: Mission Desperation - Cannot advance  (Read 4241 times)

Mission Desperation - Cannot advance
The mission where the Theseus is being refueled is bugged, and I cannot advance past it. I don't know why.

I destroyed all ships in the area, and defended the Indart. Killing the Indart triggers some dialogue to the effect of "We can't save you, we're leaving" but the mission fails after that. I finally managed to kill myself 5 times to get past this mission, but I don't know why I couldn't finish it.
This is my only contribution to FSSCP

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Mission Desperation - Cannot advance
You actually managed to save the Indart?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Uhmmmm... Yes! I am such a good pilot that I totally managed to save it. I certainly didn't set it to invincible or anything. Why would I do that?  :nervous:

In all seriousness, what's the mission flow on that one?
This is my only contribution to FSSCP

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Cheats can break missions. You have been warned :p
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
The mission flow is that
Spoiler:
the Indart is only suppose to survive long enough to provide enough fuel for one jump.  However, there just isn't enough firepower aimed at the Indart to keep a skilled player from saving it and breaking the mission.  Hull integrity and ammo will be stretched thin if you try and shoot down all the raiders, but it is entirely possible to save the Indart without cheats.  I have to purposely let some raiders through to beat that mission in a timely manner.

I think the solution here would be to have wings of Cylon Heavy Raiders jump in right next to the Indart - something I've seen in various FS campaigns to ensure that a light starship that is supposed to die does in fact die.  And if it's still not dead, use a SEXP to kill it.

The HLP modding community is normally good at taking into account alternative sets of events like this, so this was a surprising problem for me.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:33:01 am by Alex Heartnet »

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
you could sexp the Indart to die
Pure tylium can be easily detonated by a conventional warhead. Moreover igniting fuel lines on spaceships usually quickly result in their loss (Miniseries).
so basically what I am thinking is that compartment fires could affect the fuel handling systems on the Indart causing it to explode at a convenient point and save the GTSC Plato situation you seem to have at the moment
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

That would be pretty cheap. Not a great suggestion cause it would just infuriate people. Having more raiders jump in is the better solution.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I figured the internal explosions would provide a there was nothing that could be done, not played myself due to my PC being a ancient artifact but I imagine something like

in mission

At moderate Damage "This is the Indart we have compartment fires from that last hit we need more cover"
At slightly more damage "The fires are spreading, Theseus recommend you abort refuel"
At mission critical point "Get Clear Fires have spread to compartments adjacent to our..."
Boom

Debriefing "it was dumb luck the Cylons managed to hit something vital, nothing you could have done about it pilot you did well covering the Indart as well as you did."

it's even used in the tv runs and has happened in RL no end of times, yes it's infuriating if done badly, done well it's part of the plot.
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
New messages are a **** load harder to do at this point than simply adding more Cylons. For a start we'd have to call a voice actor back to voice all those lines.

And in the end, we'd still have the same problem, what if the Indart was never at the Slightly more damage point? Hell, what if the player does a really great job and it never takes a hit!

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
fair point

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
An event where the Indart survives should trigger. Something isn't working right.

Looking at the mission logic I'm not seeing how you're having this error.

If all hostiles are down the Indart evacs and undocks, and it cuts to the jump countdown.

Was the Indart disabled? Or something that prevented the undocking?

The only other thing I can think of is some wing that needs to die isn't arriving.

Edit- If eject indart happens and all enemies die this bug happens!

Okay, mission has been tweaked for Patch 1.

To save the Indart it has to stay above 25% hull in the mission and all wings down. If it ejects, it is doomed and that's where this bug crept.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:01:52 pm by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Tingil

Is this supposed to be fixed? I just had the same problem with Patch 1.0.4.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It definitely should be fixed. I'm on holiday at the moment so I can't do it, but this is a perfect opportunity to use the mission.log if any of the FREDders on the team are up for solving this one.

In the meantime you can play the final mission by going to the techroom, mission simulator and pressing CTRL + SHIFT + S so that all the missions are available.

Offline Lorric

That would be pretty cheap. Not a great suggestion cause it would just infuriate people. Having more raiders jump in is the better solution.

I disagree on that. It should be made clear to the player that there was nothing they could do. They may carry on trying to save it otherwise.

Put in a message to go with the scripted death, making it clear. Something storyline, like the stress of the battle caused some kind of death (reactor overload, hull breach, whatever.)

Even breaking the fourth wall and straight out telling the player that the ship has to die, but well done for killing everything then blowing it up would be preferable to me than trickery with new waves of fighters that only spawn if the player wipes everything out. Something like that could even be a fun easter egg type thing in a game.

There's also potentially still a risk. I remember seeing one video of FS1, where some player was sat on a spawn point with his wingmen. As soon as the waves of fighters for the mission were jumping in they were obliterated before they could barely even move. I'm talking like 5 seconds later everything's dead.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Adding new messages is a huge PITA due to the need for VA.

Offline Lorric

Adding new messages is a huge PITA due to the need for VA.

Ah yes, Shattered Armistice is voiced. That complicates matters.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
It definitely should be fixed. I'm on holiday at the moment so I can't do it, but this is a perfect opportunity to use the mission.log if any of the FREDders on the team are up for solving this one.

In the meantime you can play the final mission by going to the techroom, mission simulator and pressing CTRL + SHIFT + S so that all the missions are available.

There is an alt ending where the Indart survives, (it gets abandoned and scuttled after the refueling though) but for some reason those events aren't executing properly under some conditions.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If someone were to edit the mission so that it generates a mission.log and flagged those events, we should be able to figure out why it isn't executing.

If you can tell me the event names involved in that section of the mission, I can probably still set up a version of the mission that will do it.

Yay, I saved Indart too. :D