Author Topic: A couple of things  (Read 900 times)

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
First off, I think there may be a problem with the mission parser, as I have encountered a problem.  In the mission "Straight, No Chaser" (SM3-04), some of the voice files arent playing.  Specificly, the SM3-04_Any* files.  Some other files arent playing either, but I cant determine which.  So could you guys look at the mission parser and find out what is wrong, so that this doesnt happen again?

Also, about the memory leak, is it possible for a temporary fix to flush the engine caches after the end of each mission?  This would take a few seconds, I would imagine, but it would prevent the leak from getting out of hand, as well as preventing my hard drive from working like it's on crack whenever the program exits because of a OoM error.  I think this should be done in the mean time until you have isolated and fixed the memory leak.

Finally, I'd hate to sound like a dick, but when was the last time the codebase was optimized?  I assume because of the bug-hunting there were alot of redundancies and extra stuff put in that would have unoptimized the code.  Just as well as adding new features and fixes.  Please dont bite my head off ;).

All concerns are based off the current builds (tested 7-7-04 thru 7-20-04).

-Scuddie

EDIT:  And can someone PLEASE fix the new posts icons?  Some read threads are appearing as new, and some new threads are appearing as read.  It's a bit irritating.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 09:14:13 pm by 739 »
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Scuddie
Also, about the memory leak, is it possible for a temporary fix to flush the engine caches after the end of each mission?  This would take a few seconds, I would imagine, but it would prevent the leak from getting out of hand, as well as preventing my hard drive from working like it's on crack whenever the program exits because of a OoM error.  I think this should be done in the mean time until you have isolated and fixed the memory leak.

It already does this at mission load, unloads everything first and then loads the new things for that mission.  Many, many hours have been spent looking for memory leaks and most have been found.  All known standard game leaks have been fixed in any build from this week.  All known OpenGL related leaks have also been fixed.  Fixes for D3D leaks are currently in the works.  No quick fix will do any good since we aren't sure where the leak is coming from.  As soon as we do though a proper fix will get implemented as quickly as possible.

Finally, I'd hate to sound like a dick, but when was the last time the codebase was optimized?  I assume because of the bug-hunting there were alot of redundancies and extra stuff put in that would have unoptimized the code.  Just as well as adding new features and fixes.  Please dont bite my head off ;).

Everyone is still in the process of adding things since the release of 3.6.  Any real optimization will most likely wait until a code freeze goes into effect so that we don't have to fight a losing battle.  Any optimization problems that are found while searching for the memory leak or adding new code will get fixed but it takes time to find where these things are hiding.  Every build that I make and use myself generates profiling data so problem areas are pointed out, at least in part, and anything that stands out is fixed.  None of the developers want the game to run slowly or leak memory or crash your computer but it takes time to find and address all of those problems.  We're doing to best that we can as quickly as we can.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
New things are cool ;)

That said, I'm hoping for a little more optimization myself.  I haven't run a build more recent than 3.5.6 (because my graphics card won't handle any more eye candy already, and because my computer really isn't built to run off of its page file) but from what I've seen, I can't wait to get a look at the new stuff in person.  Yay for new computers.

Originally posted by Scuddie
And can someone PLEASE fix the new posts icons?  Some read threads are appearing as new, and some new threads are appearing as read.  It's a bit irritating.

That's a cookie issue with the board code I think, it happens to me from time to time and I can't really pin down a cause.  On the issue of forums though, remember that all of the visable forums have at least one internal under them, so you'll see a forum with new posts in it from the main page but no new visable posts.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Ironically, one optimization I REALLY want to see done would be having things kept in memory between level loads, and only unused things unloaded. It'd really speed up mission loading time, especially if you need to convert some hi-poly models to the new internal format.
-C