Author Topic: "lite" versions of effects and textures  (Read 6072 times)

Offline Svizel

• http://165thbdhr.com
"lite" versions of effects and textures
Recently after i updated my media files on effects_c and textures_b game started to hang and it become kinda unplayable, especialy in shivan missions, so i thought about a "lite" version of those files to have an alternative which provides at least some level of eye-candy but still keep reasonable memory usage / performance on slower PCs. I know you all have a lot of your own work  to do so i tried to do it myself. :nervous:

First of all thanks to WMCoolmon, Lightspeed and Cetanu who had the patience to answer my stupid noob questions and sorry to everyone who's masterpices i destroyed. ;)

mv_lite_effects_c1.vp
  • no .tga files
  • all original .pcx effects
  • all weapon effects resized
  • .pcx versions of .tga only efects

mv_lite_textures_b.vp
  • no .tga files
  • no larger textures (except for Lucifer which needs it badly, i just resized this texture on half)
  • all shine/glow maps in .pcx format and FS2 retail texture sizes

If you never had a problem with current media files don't even bother with downloading, game will only look worse for you...
If you have problem with hangs in game or high memory usage problems even with -jpgtga flag and large textures turned off, give it a try... :)

...and one bonus on end:
Black Ares textures
  • original texture artwork from Cetanu
  • added shine/glow maps
  • .pcx version only
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 03:41:22 pm by 1183 »
...but what do i know, i'm just Drunk.
Proud deck swabber of BDHR,
tamed monkey of TeamWars admin team.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
That's the "real" Ares!!! ;)
*downloads*
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Nice work. :D

I don't need these but I'm sure there are many who will.

BTW for those who play multiplayer and single player it may be worth creating a special multiplayer -mod folder and adding these to it. That way the high res textures only cause a slowdown in singleplayer.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
sweeet!
this is gonna make playtesting a lot more eye-candy like :D
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Looks great Sviz :yes:

Although I personally won't need it (yet) since I am one of the lucky few that can run the original VPs without too much probs so far  :)
Battlestar Galactica mod for Freelancer: www.bsg-galactica.com

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I noticed that the jumpnodes suddenly vanished. Did this include Raa's jumpnode fix? If not, here is the link to it:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,25699.0.html
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
There's a new version of the jumpnode out, look for it in FS Modding.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Kosh

So it's all Bob's fault the jumpnode dissappeared. Thanks Strat.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline Svizel

Originally posted by Kosh
I noticed that the jumpnodes suddenly vanished. Did this include Raa's jumpnode fix? If not, here is the link to it:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,25699.0.html

Those files only repleaces effects and textures media files. Fix for jumpnode problem is part of mv_core.vp, in current version (b) it includes older 2 lined jumpnode model. You will have to ask someone who's taking care of media files now (when WMCoolmon is gone) to repleace the model in core to this newer version. :)

Offline Kosh

I just dl's Bob's new jumpnode, and it looks really cool.

Brain I/O error

Offline Svizel

While i was experimenting with DDS format for effects (which turned out to be completly unusable for this job) i revisited lite effects package and made few updates:
  • Resized static weapon effects on half (who will find visual difference during gameplay gets cookie ;))
  • Fixed some weird-sized animations on the "nice numbers"
  • Added 2 missing animations (oopsy :nervous: )
  • Resized all nebula background files on 32x32 (they are only one-colored so no need for them to be large :))
  • Removed resized shieldhit animation, older actually looks better than new one resized imho...
  • Converted missile maps on dds format (works fine for maps)

Also i'm working on lite version of Lightspeed's new texture pack. It's far from complete so a lot of larger ships with shared textures looks kinda weird, but i might post here link on some pre-release later.
New lite texture pack will not keep original FS2 texture size but also will not include huge textures. For example fighter and bomber textures will have 256x512 or 512x512 pixels large A version textures which in DDS format takes 128k or 256k for shinemap and 64k or 128k for main texture (no alpha channel). This will offer quite nice graphic enchantment while keeping memory usage on reasonable value. :nod:

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
LS's new texture pack is basically a 'lite' version. DDS versions of everything... :wtf:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Svizel

Originally posted by Raa
LS's new texture pack is basically a 'lite' version. DDS versions of everything... :wtf:

emm.... sorry but 1MB large textures are far from beeing "lite" :)
DDS format isn't all... If you create 1024x1024 image it won't be small just because you save it as DDS... if you make it only 512x512 it will be  4x smaller and if you save it without alpha channel it's 8x smaller than 1024x1024 original... that is what i call "lite" ;)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Oh... but without the alpha channel, environment mapping will be messed up. As in ships with reflections over the entire hull, and at maximum strength...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Svizel

Originally posted by Raa
Oh... but without the alpha channel, environment mapping will be messed up. As in ships with reflections over the entire hull, and at maximum strength...

That would be for sure if there was removed alpha channel from shinemaps... But hey i'm not going to do that :p
I was speaking of base ship textures which don't need alpha at all cause they have it all on 100% anyway and it makes texture to have half size without alpha. :)

Offline Svizel

Here's preview for new "lite" texture pack... It's build on current ShineLT-build5.0 containing same number of files but with different texture sizes. Note that this is not final version, texture sizes and maybe even format (for glowmaps) may change.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken