Author Topic: Turn Based Game Help  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Tarrith

Turn Based Game Help
Hey Peeps.

Total Noob when it comes to modding etc.
Soooo. Ok I've been playing turn-based pen and paper RPG's for ages. Lately, I've been going more digital and have a crapola amount of 2d art...then I came across Homeworld models in VRML.
I have a friend that's a programmer and we've discussed making a turn-based ship battle that's web-based
...then I came across the unbelievable amount of Freespace models. My jaw dropped. Oh my...
:O
My question is...is there a way to convert the Freespace POF files into WRL files? Hopefully not too painfully.
I realise there's was probably a collective forehead slapping that just occured, I am a noob at this but VRML 2.0 is the only way I know that can easily display a 3d model in a web environment. Unless I'm missing something.
I'd love to use the 3d models but if worse comes to worse will settle for the 2d.

You crazy peeps rock.

TD

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Turn Based Game Help
Hi,

Welcome aboard - watch your head for the Beam. we still beam new people right?

Total Noob when it comes to modding etc. [...] we've discussed making a turn-based ship battle that's web-based [...] I'd love to use the 3d models but if worse comes to worse will settle for the 2d.

Then before I say something about the technical side, an important piece of information/advice:

All Freespace-assets are still owned by Interplay. As such taking away the original models and textures is asking for legal trouble; as far as the "upgraded" versions used in the MediaVPs are concerned, legally they are derivative of the originals (owned by Interplay) but exist in a kind of laissez-faire space as long as that's acknowledged and not made/used for profit - taking them will prove to the legally problematic as well.

Most community created assets, like original ships, exist under whatever license the original creator/creators specified. You will have to look that up on an individual basis, if you want to use them in a commerical "anything".
In most chases that license is going to be the appropriate version of the Creative Commons License, as it is a gentlemen's agreement here on HLP. The terms of that license or whatever other license a creator specified apply when it comes to use, credit and compensation.

That may sound worse than it actually is, just something to be mindful about.

is there a way to convert the Freespace POF files into WRL files?

When it comes to questions of .pof-conversion, it is technically possible although it might not be a single-step solution. The .pof-format was (not my knowledge) only ever used by Volition and Parallax and as a result the number of conversion plug-in is pretty limited.

Check our Wiki on the list of possible programms: Wiki article on Modelling
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."