Author Topic: Allegiance - the best game you've never played  (Read 10037 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Allegiance - the best game you've never played
One thing I have to mention. Our current version has trouble with the new Nvidia cards, as Nvidia dropped support of certain graphics functions used in older games. There's a beta test version of a DX9 compatible version available, and we have a great helpline. If the game seems to only get 10 FPS or so on your turbo-charged gaming comp, that's where the problem lies. Other than that, the game looks good and runs great even on really old machines.

I know. I used to play regulary, but lately I've been getting chrases...so I'm not playing ATM. *sniff*

Damn good game.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mika

This starts to sound pretty interesting. Could be the kind of combat "simulator" I have been looking for. Unfortunately, I'm currently out-of-gaming time since Ph. D. studies are getting on the way. Until I next time get that "screw the doctorate" -feeling.

Does Falcon 4.0 experience help? I've been playing flight sims since I was 12, but I never found WWII related flight simulations appealing.

Mika
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Well, the training missions have done a pretty good job of souring me on the game. The controls are much too fiddly for my liking and the gameplay just doesn't catch my fancy. I can't see myself ever having fun doing that 'nanning' thing and it sounds like it's something I'd have to do a lot.

Ah well. It's nice to know people are still playing stuff like this, anyway. They don't make games like this any more.

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Does Falcon 4.0 experience help? I've been playing flight sims since I was 12, but I never found WWII related flight simulations appealing.

Mika

Yes and know. If you've had the dedication to master Falcon, the learning curve of Allegiance shouldn't scare you. I was a rabid Falcon 3.0 fan back in the day  :yes:

Well, the training missions have done a pretty good job of souring me on the game. The controls are much too fiddly for my liking and the gameplay just doesn't catch my fancy. I can't see myself ever having fun doing that 'nanning' thing and it sounds like it's something I'd have to do a lot.

Ah well. It's nice to know people are still playing stuff like this, anyway. They don't make games like this any more.

Those old MS training missions are only good for... uh, not much actually. Fixing things with the nan is a very useful skill, but not something everybody does. There are pure combat pilots in the game. Just focus on Interceptors and Fighters if scouting isn't your cup of tea.

On the controls. I wonder if you fly with a joystick or a mouse? Try switching on the Quadratic Response instead of Linear Response, and aiming should become easier (the controls are slower close to center, and then accelerate towards the edges for quick turns). I've been playing (again) for over a year, and just adjusted those controls a month ago. I've been very pleased with the results.

Here's something I probably should have stressed from the get go:

Make sure to bind the up/down/left/right and Forward/Back thrusters so you can use them. There is no atmosphere to bank against, so any quick dodging and much of your overall agility depends on being able to fire all your thrusters. When you go head to head with an interceptor, and the other guy opens up on you with his miniguns, hitting the top thrusters and shunting your ship below his streat of fire (while still facing him and hammering away yourself) is how you win fights in Allegiance. Obviously you can substitude any sidethruster for the top there, and when you get the hang of it you want to be changing your vector all the time.

Make it hard for the enemy to hit you, and work on your own accuracy. That's the basic creed of the interceptor jockey. Even better is pouncing on enemies who can't see you, or who are busy fighting your allies  :cool:

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Here you go people, the best footage of an Allegiance deathmatch ever:

http://www.motionbox.com/videos/0a99d6bc1211e7c387?iid=switch_player_&type=hd

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I pretty much played in all roles.

INTs are fun, but since they can't jump they are slow to get from system to system.

FIG's have less firepower than int's, but they have shields and can ripcord, which makes them very useful for quick responses.

Bombers are also fun, atlough I prefer to be a gunner during such raids.

Stealth Bombers are the bomb. The planing, the setup of several SB's as they slip into a enemy system and hide, then wait. It's like a WW2 sub move, you wait, hide behind asteroids while your energy re-charges and avoid scouts dropping pulse probes. Wait for the setup (all SB's appox 6000m from the target), a diversion, then the attack signal. Move in, decloak and hope you can let the missiles fly before your paper-thin hull is gone.

Scouts are almost the most fun. You can actually do 3 things in them.
1. Nanny - following and repairing any crtitical ships - capships, miners, bombers
2. Scout - exploring system, placing sat probes all over hte places. Or sneaking and placing a rip boy strategicly
3. interferance - load up on proximity mines, use hte comotion during an attack to fly in front of the enemy base exit door and start dropping! Nothing beats a minefiled right at the base hangar or Aleph (wormhole)exit.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I turned off WD and Kerpasky and it seemed to log in for a sec, but then windows said there was a problem...

I run vista home premium and ran it as admin... No idea...
I ave dx10 and net 2 already but I dont use ie or that extra dl extension I use ff...

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
There are some problems with various Net Framework versions.. In my case, I got logged-off/kicked out of the game periodicly every 15 minutes. Damn irritating.

Go to the forums and the tech support threads

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Sorry to hear about the tech problems. Vista is fiddly, and the net framework needs to be the correct one.

Our tech support guys are very helpful and skilled. Just be polite and have a bit of patience on that forum  :)

It's worth the effort to get the game working. The 15 min crash sounds awful! Do you use the experimental graphics engine?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I recall using some new exe downloaded from the forums .Uninstalled it since.

Damn, now I'm soooooo drawn to playing it again. :p

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
I know. I used to play regulary, but lately I've been getting chrases...so I'm not playing ATM. *sniff*

Damn good game.

Same here  :sigh:

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, re-installed it and played last night.

Damn 15 minutes crash is back. Methinks it has something to do with my card drivers. Still, was fun.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
When I played it last a bunch of weird yellow squares  (or circles, I forget) started appearing over everything, and it slowed down 'til finally it froze and crashed.  :blah:

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Trashman & Hellstryker, check if your problems are described in the tech support FAQ, and ask for help if they aren't. It would be great to have you guys back in the game.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I had the same issue as Hellstryker. Using the DX9 alpha build from here solved it.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Trashman & Hellstryker, check if your problems are described in the tech support FAQ, and ask for help if they aren't. It would be great to have you guys back in the game.

I got a reputation there for being a crazy commander (curtesy of trying to early..altough some of my tactics were so crazy they actually worked :P I still recall detonating a Nova bomb in my own base and vaporizing the whole enemy attack force :lol: ) and a pain-in-the-ass scout/fighter (cause I sooo love proximity mines + enemy base exit combo :lol: )

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
The currently played version is Community Core 03 (I think I have the version right).

Phoenix faction has been removed as fundamentally unbalanced (and unpopular), and we are waiting a new faction to get it's finishing touches. At the moment the Squads are duking it out in a long league, the first matches of which have been fought now.

Academy is a bit out of date, but still gives a good place to start or refresh memories.
http://www.allegacademy.org/index.shtml

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I hope Phoenix gets back, altough rebalanced. It's just had too cool ship designs.

Offline Mika

Yes and know. If you've had the dedication to master Falcon, the learning curve of Allegiance shouldn't scare you. I was a rabid Falcon 3.0 fan back in the day

We are planning to do some on-line fighting with my friends me being the wing leader. That'll be when I have time to do that. Allegiance doesn't really sound that bad when it comes to learning curve, the only thing is that there are different kinds of gameplay elements included. With modern day jet sims I have managed with the old faithful CH Flightstick Pro, this particular piece being maybe 14 years old. They say that it would be good to map some thruster stuff on joystick. I'm wondering if this would mean I have to buy a new one.

I still own Falcon Gold. MiG-29 was neat also, I loved the IRST and helmet mounted sight. "Go back to computer games, comrade!"

Just to clarify, is there a difference between nose pointing vector and velocity vector in Allegiance? If so, can you make it as large as you want? And if so, then this would be exactly the space combat "simulator" I have been wishing for.

Mika
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
[quote author=Mika link=topic=60477.msg1193057#msg1193057 date=1232565595
Just to clarify, is there a difference between nose pointing vector and velocity vector in Allegiance? If so, can you make it as large as you want? And if so, then this would be exactly the space combat "simulator" I have been wishing for.

Mika
[/quote]

It is all that. You have full freedom of movement, and can turn computer assist totally off you you want. Your ship is a newtonian rocket, except there is space drag. You can just adjust the throttle and point the ship, and you'll more or less go there (eventually) but you have true inertia, and your ships side thrusters will actually have to kill the momentum and...

Trust me, it's good. Download it and find out. If you need help, I can come and show you the ropes. We use Team Speak 2 a lot, so one can have voice coms too.

I updated my joystick recently btw, and can recommend this sweet (and fairly cheap) baby:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/joysticks/devices/297&cl=US,EN

More people play with mouse & KB, but I never got into that. Each to their own.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:02:07 am by Adept »