Poll

Which shockwave should be used for the next release?

2d shockwave
31 (37.8%)
3d shockwave
51 (62.2%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: 2d or 3d shockwaves for the next release?  (Read 37321 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: 2d or 3d shockwaves for the next release?
Hey those actually resemble the ones in the above screenshot :D
My vote still stands.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
As do I.  At least they give the impression of a volumetric object, even if you sometimes see them at odd angles.  The old retail versions stuck out like a sore thumb as being nothing more than the equivalent of sprites.

It gives a FALSE impression. That's the point. A real shockwave would never look like that.

Gods, people have some false expectations or reality and eventually become convinced "it's how it's supposed to be".
Reminds me of discussions with a guy who claimed two-haders are supposed to be heavy and that the light ones are cheap knock-offs, when in reality it's the opposite.

Trashman, I don't know how shockwave models are handled with multiple viewers.  Either they're synced so everyone sees the model in the same place or they're not.  No idea.  I would figure since they are models that they would sync though, but I don't know much about that code.

I'd guess it's handeled similar to any sprite or plane something.
AMT all the shockwaves are angled randomly. One would have to change that to remove the randomness and depend on player view.

Each computer does the rendering of the shockwave by itself.
The 3D model/2D plane doesn't have no impact on gameplay, since the radius in the tables is used for damage calculations and not the model itself.
Ergo, it doesn't matter if each PC renders the shockwave under a different angle relative to another viewer.

Remember!

"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Topgun

those poor little cat girls....

Offline Romanmolf

• n00b... And loving it

That's what we want, don't we?

ANYBODY HAVE IT?

It doesn't matter if it's realistic or not. It's good and we want it.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
[image]

That's what we want, don't we?

ANYBODY HAVE IT?

It doesn't matter if it's realistic or not. It's good and we want it.

"We wantsss it, Precioussss! Give it to usss!"

Seriously, if you want a ring of fire* you shall have it, eventually. We have no intention of letting the 3D shockwaves out of support; what we're contemplating is which version to put on as the default version.

And, like I said, it would be massively more convenient to have the upgraded 2D shockwaves on the default mediaVP's, and offer the 3D shockwaves as an option. For the same reason you want to be careful with salt, since it's easy to increase in food but really hard to extract once you have too much of it.

* Herra Tohtori is aware that the Ring coveted by Gollum is the One Ring rather than Narya, the Red Ring, the Ring of Fire wielded by Olórin...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
i'd actually prefer the upgraded original 2D shockwave, and if it has been done, anyone have it?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Romanmolf

• n00b... And loving it
That's what I said

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
That's what I said

NO U

That's the 3D shockwave.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Romanmolf

• n00b... And loving it
I am about to post this for the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000th time...

Do we have that? If yes, give lnk. If not, get it!

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
dude, fof. i am looking for the high-res 2D shockwave, not 3D shockwave. from that pic that you posted and "said" you want the cyan/blue 3D shockwave. learn to read, i beg you.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If you could make the 2D shockwave default, but give an option for the high-end 3D ones, that'd be great. Launcher flag?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
* Herra Tohtori takes a look at Romanmolf's postcount
* Herra Tohtori sincerely doubts Romanmolf's claims about that being his 10^18th post about the subject

Moving along...

IIRC, the 3D shockwave is in the 3.6.10 Beta MediaVP's. I don't remember right now whether it's a simple version or dual-layered version like that in the image seems to be...

Here's the 2D shockwave. In order for it to work, there must be no shockwave.pof that the game can use. If there is, the game will use that, and the 2D shockwave will be overridden by the 3D version.

In other words, to use this in conjunction with Beta MediaVP's, you need to open up the whatever VP file the shockwave.pof happens to be in, and remove it from the file, and if you come crying for support when you manage to botch something up I'm going to re-tell you to take backup copies of any VP file you start dicking around with. If you do not know how to accomplish this, this is not perhaps the best crash course into VP file editing... :nervous:

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
And because of that, that's why I say use 2d as default and have a separate 3d shockwave VP.  Easy enough to setup to use it instead, as opposed to the other way around.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

<snip>

Do we have that? If yes, give lnk. If not, get it!

The link will be when 3.6.10 is final. Now seriously, do you even know the meaning of the word 'patience'?

And in general for everybody else:

AFAIK, the decision will be to provide a 2D shockwave in the VP's with the ability (for those who want/can handle) an optional, seperate, 3D Shockwave.

And as for when that will be released, it is no different than any thing else: When it is done. You can either have it done right, or you can have it right now, but you cannot have both. And I for one would much rather have less of a headache by releasing when it is done right.

The good news is, once a few more things get tested and ironed out and we polish up a few edges and make sure that we haven't broken any compatibility, we will be (unless there are any last second surprises) be releasing. However, I don't think anybody has a direct knowledge of exactly when that will be.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Ok, since I seem to be greatly outnumbered, I want to say this:

Can we please have a 2D version of the shockwaves to be placed in mv_effects? The 3D one, which causes slowdowns, could be placed in mv_adveffects.

(I heard the VP's names are changed but I used the old ones to let you understand)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Zacam just said that would be done, didn't he?

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
In that case I support him... :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Jeez Mobius, RTFT :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Actually, the 3D ones (Yes, there are two of them) will be entirely seperate. Users will be able to choose a simplified 3D Shockwave or the more complex animated 3D Shockwave based on preference and/or system performance, while the 2D one will be in the Effects vp.

And to help minimize strain for systems, I aim to encourage that shockwave generating weapons have a way (even with a 3D shockwave present) to continue to use the 2D shockwave, since there can be a case where during a mission several of them can be going off in addition to ship explosions. If the weapons are still using the 2D on a smaller scale shock, this will keep the system speed up by not choking it up when they are all being rendered.

As for a per ship-type style shockwave, this is entirely do-able, but trying to impliment it now would induce a delay on the release to manufacture and test. And I only mention this because I'm pretty sure some one would inevitably ask.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Zacam, the poll has been created after a discussion in IRC, to decide which shockwave should be the default shockwave included in the effects and advanced effects VPs. The other one will be optional.

From the results of the poll, it looks like most people want the 3d shockwave to be the default one. We shoud respect that.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------