Author Topic: 3-28-04 build  (Read 11846 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_Bobboau_3-28-04.zip

ok, I bumped the limits for LS's nebulas and I think I found out were those weird overbrightening effects in the nebula were comeing from (not sure if I fixed the right thing, check this)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
nice. unfortunately I don't have time to test this now (so it'll be either late today or tomorrow), but expect some test results from me soon :nod:
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Shaka

Just take an look and :

Equip a squadron is ten faster than the 23... I click and I've the weapon I want :D

There is big noise in sound :confused:

When I move fast, the stars seem glowing more...

(soz for the Bastion, that was a custom sm3-09.fs2 lost in a folder :lol: )

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
hmm, okay, it's fixed some errors, all but the problems of the shine/eviro maps not working seem to be gone.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the loading studder should be signifigantly reduced/gone completely, I had it preload all sound at the begining, that might cause some problems on lower spec computers.

have I fixed the over brightened nebula?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 11:32:45 am by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Zarax

This build runs fine for me (software mode).
The Best is Yet to Come

I don't know about the overbright nebula.  You've made it dimmer but it's still too "thick".

Look at my previous screenshot (in the 3-23 build I think), there seems to be too many layers of nebula being rendered.

On the other hand, it feels better now :)

The stutters seem to be still there since it's always when textures are being loaded into texture memory when it stutters for me.  But I'll try a few more missions.

the stutters due to ships warping in are reduced (not sure if they are GONE), but I still get a major stutter when a background planet (32-bit TGA) comes into view for the first time in a mission.  Afterburner trails are still invisible.  I'm not sure about the LS nebula thing, he might have to release a new table or something...
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

Have it load everything in the background before you can play, perhaps?  Another stupid idea by someone who knows nothing of what he's talking about.  =3
For great justice.

that's what Bob did, i just suspect he missed the background planets
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Downloading...
Downloaded!
Launching...
Hmm, well i still get the Unrecognized Command Line Perameter bug for -htl, but im running a Geforce FX 5600 so its no biggie
shinemaps look better, but you need to get that env_mapping in there, and the nebulas are cool, though the brightness didn't bother me before either.  didn't test for the alt-tab bug, and load times were the same, and it stutters (as it always has) whenever something new jumps in

Turambar
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

The command line has been changed to -nohtl now.

HTL is on by default.

Environment mapping isnt going to come until 3.6 is released.

The nebula we're talking about is THE nebula, as in the swirling pcx's. It seems to be better this time so Bobboau's fix works.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
oh, ok, thats good to know *feels somewhat dumb*
and ya, i was talkin bout that nebula, don't know where the s came from

Im planning on learing modelling!  Once i get good I'll start making better versions of the existing ships, It will be a while, but not too long (I'm a fast lerner when it comes to things that aren't schoolwork) Just warnin' y'all you'll be hearing more from Turambar Mwahahahahahahahaahhahaahha!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah...
anyway, damn, I realy thought I had the studering fixed, so things are getting fogged to quickly, it is suposed to be quite thick.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Alt-tab prob still occurs with me.  I'm also getting a CTD when I commit to replaying a mission after I die, but I think this is a problem with the mission.  I'll have to test it under the -16 build, which doesn't have the alt-tab prob thing.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, alt-tab has yet to be addressed
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline SA22C

Most stutters are gone for me now, there's only the occasional one here and there, usually when a audio message pops up.  The supernova effect worked just fine in this build as well...

The nebulae look better, but they are certainly thicker than the original FS2.  I think I like it better this way.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Okay finally found time for a brief test:

The Nebula Thing

Seems to be fixed - thanksssss bob! The only thing is that a FRED build with the new limit will be neccessary (so that you can select *ALL* background images from the drop down list, instead of having to edit them in in NotePad). So, get a FRED build capable of it (and FREDogl) and you'll have one bug less on Mantis (issue 0000155 ) ! :D

Diffuse

Seems to have gotten even worse, especially background images are now rendered at an unnatural brightness - i'm still hoping for the 'adjust diffuse' command line, as the standard value really is a bit of overkill when/if you also want to use ambient.

Other Bugs

I didnt run into any of those..... YET. :)

I'll keep you updated on anything I find out - i should have time to properly play and test in a few days.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

how do i get the nebula thing to work?  i downloaded them last week... is there an update?
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

Offline Shaka

I just get this message in the last mission of the campaign :
(I copy the windows cause my connection sux these day and I can't up to my ftp)

Error: ai_find_path tring to find a path (15) that doesn't exsist, on ship Boerhaave
File:d:\FSO\fs2_open\code\ship\AiCode.cpp
Line: 3845

Call stack:

fs2_open.exe 005c7c5a()
fs2_open.exe 005c856e()
fs2_open.exe 004bc848()
fs2_open.exe 004be949()
fs2_open.exe 004beb17()
fs2_open.exe 00497b1a()
fs2_open.exe 00426bbd()
fs2_open.exe 011da760()
fs2_open.exe 011e85a0()