Author Topic: Bells and Whistles??  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Kayroe

Bells and Whistles??
I got b5 and the first thing I noticed was I couldn't use my mediavps.
Just curious if there are any file I need to obtain to get the cool features from regular scp in b5.

Such as the new high quality beams.  Or shine and glow maps.

I heard some one mention the shine maps in b5, but my b5 looks so vanilla freespace it's not even funny.  When I used the mediavp's from freespace.... I get some beams and the high quality glows on the engines, but everything goes black.  I loose my nebulai and everything.  Tried Open GL and Direct 3D.  I beleive i'm even now using the lastest launcher 5.4.  Latest build for the game. The 3.3a patch is weird.  It has so many different .exe builds I didn't even know what to use.  The 2006 P4 improved one crashed like crazy (I have a p4 3.06 with HT) the 2005 version starts fine -- still no shine maps or anything.  Just curious if anyone has any input i'd be much obliged, thanks in advance.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
First of all, don't use FS mediaVPs with TBP. It's not going to work.

And about the exe's You might grab a never build from the SCP. I haven' played for a while, but could someone tell him wich is the most recent build that works with TBP? (no black boxes etc)

Once you get a newer build make sure you apply all nifty graphics options in the Laucher. After that you should have all glow maps and glowpints and bells and whistles.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Kayroe

I dunno dude, I got it working... and I do get some effects, but it still no where near regular FSO.  The thruster glows are still stock in Babylon, and they are in te screen shots.  The lasers are the same low quality lasers too, only thing thats better is the backrounds, and the beams from capital ships. Certain things have I guess a glow even tho it's not really a glow, just a little illuminated.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Yes. Well... Thethursters and lasers and stuff like that, are supposed to look like that. There are numerous improvements on effects in Freespace, as people are working stuff for it all the time. But with TBP you get the latest release, which looked breathtaking back when it was released. Now the effects may look outdated to golden eyes. Thats just the way it is until the next release.

You could post a screenshot that shows some background, fighters and capitalships, so we can be sure you got TBP on it's fullest.  :nod:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Uhhhh!  :nervous: I haven't got TBP so this may not help, but isn't there an option in the launcher to turn stuff on and off for TBP??? Just an idea!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
... but isn't there an option in the launcher to turn stuff on and off for TBP???
It's a damn good idea. Especially since I had already thought of it. :D

Once you get a newer build make sure you apply all nifty graphics options in the Laucher.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
... but isn't there an option in the launcher to turn stuff on and off for TBP???

Hence the nervous smiley and the "this may not help". But I thought I put it more succinctly  :rolleyes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

look at this:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,38070.0.html
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Kayroe

roger dodger the screens will be from the first level of RW.

1280x768, all options on -- OpenGL Trilinear and 8x AF on a GeForce 4 TI4400 = no slow down... even in freespace.

Screens are Jpeg loses a little bit of quality, but pretty much it's close. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 05:43:01 pm by Kayroe »

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Yep. Thats the way it's supposed to look. But your ambient lightning is a bit bright. Type a few custom tags in the launcher to tone down the light. I'm sorry I can't remember the commands and I'm in school so I can't copy you my own. But search a little around the boards, or check the wiki. When you get rid of the bright ambiebt light, you'll be able to see how cool the ships actually look with their glows and blinking lights. 8)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
-ambient_factor 75

Type that into the custom flags section of the launcher.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kayroe

Huge Difference.... wow.  Still like to see thrusters :-) Can't wait till 3.4.....