Author Topic: Shadows Beta 3.1 (18/09/2012)  (Read 20964 times)

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Re: Shadows Beta 3.1 (18/09/2012)
you right....but them would work on cockpits, then adding an option for disabling them :D
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
cockpits currently have no shadows. i would probably have to do another high resolution geometry pass to do cockpit shadows its not worth it in my opinion. i have an idea to increase the number of shadow slices but i have to benchmark that and see how the gpu holds up. if it negligible i could conceivably do cockpit shadows.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:31:38 pm by Valathil »
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Just tested them. If it wasn't for some bugs in trunk like the thruster issue that we fixed with the Diaspora patches (that need to go back to trunk) I'd stick with a shadow build.

All of the R1 missions look great with the shadow effects, my system is pretty heavy duty so no performance issues here.

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Valathil

i just updated the archive on dropbox to fix a crash ive been having and to fix a black border in windowed mode so if you have crashes on mission load redownload.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
what i meant isn't the shadows into the cockpit model, but in what you see in 1st person view like the external hull, the nose etc.
I can understand that use shadows into cockpits should be more GPU expensive, but if you think about it, cockpits occupy half of your monitor...so having shadows outside and having all your fighter completely ''isolated'' from shadows seems a bit unconsistent IMO.

Plus, i can't explain the great performance loss compared to the alpha build... IIRC i tested a version where the shadows worked in 1st person view, and them were more high detailed than the current beta, but no FPS drops too much.

Anyway i'd like to point you did a great job on this, no complaints, just suggestions and feedbacks  :)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
torc, how feasible would it be to make cockpit in the normal model a detailbox which is invisible at very short range and give the ship a 'show ship' flag so that from 1st person you only see a fuselage and a hole where the cockpit would be? This hole could be filled with external cockpit model which wouldn't receive any shadows as it doesn't now.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Nighteyes

torc, how feasible would it be to make cockpit in the normal model a detailbox which is invisible at very short range and give the ship a 'show ship' flag so that from 1st person you only see a fuselage and a hole where the cockpit would be? This hole could be filled with external cockpit model which wouldn't receive any shadows as it doesn't now.

The main problem with this method, is that the model of a simple fighter would become incredibly large, think about it, every single fighter, raptors, MK7e's will all be carrying around with them the high detailed cockpit and its textures...

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
It's not what I meant. I say, keep the EXTERNAL model, reduced to bare hpoly cockpit and FILL the hole in REGULAR ship model using engine features, if there are such. If there aren't, you have the coder support if you find this idea good enough. Fuselage with hole as 'show ship' plus hpoly cockpit as 'cockpit pof file'.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Kobrar 44 thanks for the consideration... but i'm only an sound FX monkey :D

All the ideas here would be put under Valathil's eyes.
I'm just leaving feedback whit my shadows build  experience...since i've had the chance to test both alpha and beta whit Diaspora.

Offline Valathil

Shadows are now merged with the deferred lighting build @ http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81376.0
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃