Author Topic: [WIP] Kn'thrak: A mod-for-a-mod for Wing Commander Saga  (Read 7180 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
[WIP] Kn'thrak: A mod-for-a-mod for Wing Commander Saga
Lately, I've been developing a mod-for-a-mod for Wing Commander Saga. This mod, which takes place within the same universe as the 2008 City of Ember film adaptation, which sadly remains as a once-off look into the world of Ember which may not happen at least in our lifetimes, making it a once-in-a-lifetime screen adaptation. This mod explores the fate of, and what's left of the world of Ember, probably at the onset of the fulfillment of Kn'thrak, the ancient prophecy foretold the dawning of an era of "great darkness", when a race would come forth to destroy all who reside within the galaxy. In other words, the game centers on an ancient prophecy. In this regard, the world of Ember is among those fallen, right after the end of the 2008 film itself.

In a series of episodic campaigns, you play as a Kilrathi pilot fighting for the very survival in the face of the coming darkness.

This mod features playable Kilrathi ships with the ability to warp-out, but is compatible to WCS, which provides the possibility of its main assets being upgraded someday. It will feature the Nephilim ships from Wing Commander: Prophecy.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Re: [WIP] Kn'thrak: A mod-for-a-mod for Wing Commander Saga
How many WIP campaigns do you have now?

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
Three. And four if counting Shattered Stars. Or five if counting FreeSpace: Reunited.

I'm compelled to make this for two reasons: to update WCS to today's standards and to create a space combat game that explores the fate of the world of Ember in the point of view of the aliens, in this case, the Kilrathi. The latter is obvious because since the City of Ember's release more than ten years ago nothing is heard regarding a follow-up or even a reboot, even after Disney purchased Fox last March.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Where does it say the wcs assets are being upgraded?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Where does it say the wcs assets are being upgraded?

Bryan will do that all by himself, right?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
😭😭😭
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

I think it's doable. As for Bryan it takes just add a handful of polies and they suddenly become 100% his upgrade work.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 02:10:59 pm by Nightmare »

There have been upscales in the wing commander side. I do think converting to fs2 will be quite a chore though, may be easier to make an importer for wing commander models. Sincerely Bryan, godspeed, I am really looking forward to trying out a wing commander mash-up. Please though, no Kinney? I joke I joke, with the checkpoints it became much better.

you haven't played anything Bryan produced right

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Merry Christmas Bryan. 🎉🤶🎅🌲
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Because I wanted to upgrade and update Wing Commander Saga to its recent builds. So, I decided that this is more than just a mod-for-a-mod.

Firstly, it takes place within the movie universe of the 2008 City of Ember. You fly as a Kilrathi fighting among the clans. The title do relate to something I can't tell you just yet.

Second, it serves as an upgrade/update mod for WCS assets. I am doing this to keep it up-to-date.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Firstly, it takes place within the movie universe of the 2008 City of Ember. You fly as a Kilrathi fighting among the clans. The title do relate to something I can't tell you just yet.

But why? Why do you feel the constant urge to mash 2 completely unrelated IPs together?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Because I wanted to upgrade and update Wing Commander Saga to its recent builds. So, I decided that this is more than just a mod-for-a-mod.

The WCS saga does already run on recent (regular builds) thanks to Admiral Nelson.

But why? Why do you feel the constant urge to mash 2 completely unrelated IPs together?

It's Bryans Recept For Success

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter

It's Bryans Recept For Success
It's my idea. I am trying to keep the community alive in the long-term.

The WCS saga does already run on recent (regular builds) thanks to Admiral Nelson.
The assets may need upgrading, though.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Three. And four if counting Shattered Stars. Or five if counting FreeSpace: Reunited.

I'm compelled to make this for two reasons: to update WCS to today's standards and to create a space combat game that explores the fate of the world of Ember in the point of view of the aliens, in this case, the Kilrathi. The latter is obvious because since the City of Ember's release more than ten years ago nothing is heard regarding a follow-up or even a reboot, even after Disney purchased Fox last March.

Are any of your Three Campaigns for WCS and are they available for Download this late to the party, also is it as easy as unziping a file to WCS Directory and having it show up on the Campaign Selection Screen? 

Wishful Thinking, I know, Tut...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
They are not.

Ah, Well Thank Ye for the Timely and Succinct Response, ne'ertheless.

I have Decided to Attempt to Install the the 3.2.12 Inferno Build (which is required to play the Tech Demo Pack and some of The WC4 Remade Missions) however I am Starting to Think given all the Forum Posts on Here and the CIC that  I have read today that perhaps the Initially Wing Commander Saga Prologue was a Free Space Open Mod that used a Separate Launcher and a Patched Version of FS2 rather than the WCS Stand Alone Game and that I need to Get FreeSpace 2 from GOG and Then Patch and Upgrade It to Play These Mods rather than try to Run Them via the WCS Stand Alone Build?  Is my hypothesis anywhere hitting the Mark?  So Far I have Been Extracting Things into the 'WCHFAssets' Folder that I created in the 'Wing Commander Saga' Folder... and various other Extractions into the 'Missions' Folder but like I said, I kinda think given that These Files were Created Years before the Initial Release of the Stand Alone Game and it was Originally a Mod for FSO, that all my attempted Installations and Such may have been in Vain, and Hopefully don't mess up the Standalone Version, Tsk...

I am working with Source Material that is Over Decade Old based on an Original Content that is Closer to 30 Years prior, so I am not Expecting a Plug and Play Experience at this Point.  I remember having to Go Out and Buy a 300 Soundcard (Creative's SoundBlaster) just to Hear Voices in the Original Game, Tut.

Anyhow, Thanks Again for Getting Back at Us so Swiftly ~

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Can't you Just Use Knossos? That is Our Plug and Play Installer. Maybe What You Want isn't on Knossos

I wasn't entirely aware that there were actually two Versions of WC Saga until the Wee Hours of This Morning, the Stand Alone Saga and the FSO Version, courtesy of @Novachen.    From the Hours I Spent Reading Here, on the WCSaga Forum and the CIC, I gather that the latter has seen some Visual Updrades, I'm not all together sure what else has been modified but I suppose I am Soon Going to Find Out.

My Initial Intentions was just to Take the Path of Least Resistance (and One where I wouldn't have to Deal with Recalibrating my HOTAS, I am not Sure if That is Going to Be Much have Issue per the FSO Version of Saga or Non) and just attempt to to Extract the WCHFAssets Folder into the 'Wing Commander Saga' Folder, I now think that if those WCIV missions will work at all I will probably have to created a 'mod' folder within the 'Wing Commander Sage' folder and attempt to run it through the Launcher.

I am gathering it's not be quite as Easy as putting @Aginor's 'ASSM_v001.fsa2' file into the 'missions' folder and have pop in the Campaign Menu like the his Gaunlet/Capship Trainer did in the Simulator.

I realize the above is Wishful Thinking and I will more likely than Not have to Mosey On over to the FSO Version of Saga and familiarise myself with Knossos and Install FS2 for the Frist Time since I had the CD Version over twenty Years Ago, Tut.  Then apply the FSO 3.2.12 Inferno Version (altho I haven't researched this Topic Fully as of yet but I am already kind of assuming that there is more Recent Build than that given that it was released over a Decade Ago, I suppose I'll have to research and hope that Knossos plays well with whatever Build that be.)  Anyhow, Thanks for the Tips, Suggestions et al.  I'll more than Likely Report back with Issues and or Accomplishments.

Salu'

Oh, given the Title of This Thread, I guess I should just assume that both 'Kn'Thrak' et 'Sivar's Hand' are on Indefinite Hiatus for the Time Being since most of the Posts I have Read on Those Mods date back to 2015, before I even experienced WC Saga the First Time Around, all good - - The FSO Version of WC Saga must have both the Prologue and the Full Darkest Dawn Campaigns to Keep Me Busy, actually given all that I have stated above if the FSO/Saga is too Pesky to Figure Out in the Short Term I may just try my Hand at Giving the Original Game (Freespace 2) a Whirl with the Enhancements that FSO and the Subsequent Versions Bring, I'm sure that is Allowed, Tut ~