Author Topic: Epic Tev vs. UEF discussion from IRC [SPOILERS]  (Read 20190 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Re: Epic Tev vs. UEF discussion from IRC [SPOILERS]
How is a three kiloton detonation physically impossible when our modern nuclear warheads easily achieve that yield?

uh, because they aren't nuclear.

Yes they are.

Even if they aren't nuclear it is entirely possible to be able to build something like that 300 years from now given that advances in technology and science allow for miniaturization.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
How is a three kiloton detonation physically impossible when our modern nuclear warheads easily achieve that yield?

uh, because they aren't nuclear.

Yes they are.

Even if they aren't nuclear it is entirely possible to be able to build something like that 300 years from now given that advances in technology and science allow for miniaturization.

A very good point.

Offline Infamus

Whatever. I try to make a suggestion and you automatically smack me with the sharp-end of a sledgehammer just because I'm wrong THE FIRST TIME. **** my old ideas.

Suggestion: Make a subspace-rupturing bomb that makes something in effect to a million black holes that last for Planck and release a massive resulting shock wave, that should work. Here's a table file, its a modification of the Trinity missile from ItDoH.

Instead of sticking with what we know, or staying it the past, why not use the past to look forward: innovation. Sorry for being an ass. No, I seriously mean that.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:17:05 pm by Infamus »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Is anyone else getting tired of this guy's retarded trolling?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I find it rather amusing.
Why so serious? (though I would admit, some people have told me that before)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Bo, Tesla made **** that was more powerful than a nuke,

Provide proof or GTFO.

Before you cite that crap about him being potentially involved in Tunguska, you should know that that one has been pretty much proven to be a meteoroid impact.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:23:44 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
and make it about 50,000 times more powerful

I've taken this quote out of its particular context, since it seems to be your general strategy for combating the Shivans. You don't seem to be considering the production costs- or even feasibility or physical possibility- of doing that for a certain weapon.

Let's take this thermite that you seem to be so obsessed with.

The Sathanas is 6KM long, and quite massive. Let's forget about the Dante and even the other 100 Sathanas juggs for a moment. How would you destroy one Sath with thermite? You can't just shoot it into the hull- if that were effective, the above-nuclear-grade Helios bombs would have pulverized the destroyer.

By all rights, a weapon as powerful as the Helios would cripple or completely rip apart a ship as large as the Sath if it were made of conventional materials. So what does that tell us? Materials science has advanced several centuries by the time of FS, and they have hulls that are known to withstand Helios bombs on a corvette. The Shivans have a cruiser that can withstand a Helios explosion.

There is one fact that you seem to be avoiding at all costs here: the Shivans are more technologically advanced than we are, and they have vastly superior numbers. Their numbers alone could overwhelm us. How exactly would you defend against 100 Sathanas juggernauts?

I want you to answer one thing, or I'll consider your entire argument to be a bunch of unverified BS that isn't supported by any canon facts about the GTVA and weapons in the FS universe. And I don't want any "Tesla could do it" crap either, I want an actual feasible strategy based on existing FS canon about weaponry and limitations in GTVA production ability.

How would you attack a fleet of 100 Sathanas juggernauts, their supporting ships, and an SJ Dante, with the resources the GTVA has?

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
plenty of species have gone extinct and have existed for millions of years FROM NATURAL CAUSES.

And you know what all of them had in common? No technology whatsoever. Dinosaurs never went to the moon.

Bo, Tesla made **** that was more powerful than a nuke, and he was born during the late 1800's yes, that long ago, WITH SCRAP PARTS.

A strategic nuclear warhead can vaporize an entire city.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Delta_V

it could replace the Gauss cannon ammo that the UEF uses

Now why would you want to do that?  Their cannons use antimatter-cored rounds.  I don't know how powerful Thermite is, but I guarantee you it is not as powerful as antimatter.  If antimatter doesn't cut it, the only other option in FS2 is meson weaponry. (And if that can't do the job, you're beyond screwed)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:33:43 pm by Delta_V »

I don't know how powerful Thermite is, but I guarantee you it is not as powerful as antimatter.  If antimatter doesn't cut it, the only other option in FS2 is meson weaponry. (And if that can't do the job, you're beyond screwed)

Indeed, while Thermite can burn as hot as the surface of the sun, antimatter/matter reactions should locally produce reactions even more devastating than the inside of a sun.

And while Tesla was a major badass, most of the popular legends around his "secret" inventions that are "much better than everything we even have today" are completely out of proportion and miss key facts that we discovered since then. While his ideas were genius, some of his devices were either completely impractical or outright impossible to make.

And none of his devices, especially none build out of scrap parts, was stronger than a modern strategic nuke - and no way in hell anything he created came close to a 50000mt explosion. (in an athmosphere like earth, that would be enough to basically completely devastate all of ireland and parts of the main british island)

Offline -Sara-

As far as I know thermite only works when spread over a surface, probably using a fuel (oxygen?) or something similar to combust and maintain. An advanced ceramic layer of some kind would probably reduce the effect, such as a carapace of sorts. Thermite also doesn't give a blast I think, just lots of heat. Beam weaponry does what thermite does, giving sustained heat onto a hull.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Topgun

As far as I know thermite only works when spread over a surface, probably using a fuel (oxygen?) or something similar to combust and maintain. An advanced ceramic layer of some kind would probably reduce the effect, such as a carapace of sorts. Thermite also doesn't give a blast I think, just lots of heat. Beam weaponry does what thermite does, giving sustained heat onto a hull.

heat is uber deadly to IRL space ships. seeing how Freespace ships can take antimatter/matter reaction explosions, I don't think its really a problem for them.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
heat is uber deadly to IRL space ships. seeing how Freespace ships can take antimatter/matter reaction explosions, I don't think its really a problem for them.

Even if the ships themselves could retain their structural integrity at white-glowign hot temperatures, I can see that being somewhat inconvenient for the crew.

Aside from that, normal solid matter can only stay solid (and normal matter) below certain temperatures, and I can see beams being capable of heating their target's surface to sufficient temperatures to simply convert the matter into a cloud of electrons, protons and neutrons rather than dicking around with more normal phase changes of matter.

It's even possible that the beams go even further and split the protons and neutrons into something more primal (see quark-gluon plasma)...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Infamus managed to seriously derail this thread. IMO a Tev vs GTVA debate is more interesting than a physics debate which, given the general nerdiness of the community as a whole, has been beaten to death long before now.

so.... back OT, Tevs suck

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Staying OT and completely in-character:

If Tevs sucked, they wouldn't be winning. :P

Offline Topgun

I think they both suck. Tevs suck for trying to force their authority on the feds, and the feds suck cuz they're hippies. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
the feds suck cuz they're hippies. :p

Neocapitalist, industrial, exploratory hippies?

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
the feds suck cuz they're hippies. :p

Neocapitalist, industrial, exploratory hippies?

Hippies who grew up?
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Infamus

Yeah, probably. But you have to start somewhere!

Hey, at least they are not as near as bad as the ****ing Gefs, their like the extreme leftist environmentalists from hell: lying to get there own way and trolling if they fail.

As for the Tevs, I see there point but they don't need to be so damn aggressive. And about the Feds, they are just defending their turf, But there is one small thing they need to know: "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:41:07 pm by Infamus »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Staying OT and completely in-character:

If Tevs sucked, they wouldn't be winning. :P

I bet the UEF are thinking along this line:

My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?