Author Topic: Delenda Est and the Dreaded BSOD  (Read 2644 times)

Delenda Est and the Dreaded BSOD
So, with the release of Antipodes 6 and its fabled dramatic frame rate increases, I decided to test it on Delenda Est to see if I also recieved the improvement. I load up WiH, everything runs smoothly. I select Delenda Est from the tech-room. Mission loads a bit slowly but fine. It then takes me to Noemi's log entry.

Now here is where I've had problems before. Once it gave me a BSOD on my original playthrough, after clicking on the continue button on one of Noemi's logs, but it never reappeared. However, after I click on the continue button in the log to take me to the briefing screen, the BSOD appears and ruins my day. Following the normal support instructions, I switched my build to normal 3.6.12 and created a new pilot. This time I actually get to see the briefing for a split-second before my computer descends into the depths of hell.

This issue is specific to War in Heaven, as I have tested several others and they run fine. Any ideas?
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Delenda Est and the Dreaded BSOD
You're going to want to post a log. This does not sound like an issue specific to the War in Heaven data if it's causing BSODs.

I'm away from my computer at the moment, I should have the log tomorrow afternoon.
~Nighteyes

Offline Parias

In addition, what does the BSOD actually 'say'?  The blue screen is much more than just a generic "something broke" crash - it'll generally contain specific error codes and debugging information with which to ascertain the cause of said crash so that further troubleshooting may be performed. If your computer is rebooting on its own immediately after the blue screen error appears and this is preventing you from reading the error data, then be sure to disable the 'Automatic Restart' option in the Windows System Properties screen. Or in a worst-case, review the Event Viewer logs for a rough summary of the crash data, or even upload the resulting Minidump file it would have created - C:\Windows\Minidump.dmp by default - somewhere for further review.

There shouldn't be anything specific to FS2 or WiH which, individually in itself would cause a blue screen error - if there was, reports of such issues would be much more common.

The Windows and FS2 logs.

[attachment deleted by admin]
~Nighteyes

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Try disabling -post_process and -window.

What's this? "3612_Ant-Cache.vp" And this business? "cbanim.vp"

Past that...it doesn't immediately look like an issue with BP data or even FSO. Try getting the latest nightly. I wish I could be more help.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
3612_Ant-Cache.vp is the cache files for the 3.6.12 mediavps when using the go_faster code (which is now in the nightlies).

@carbine7
Also remove -mipmap because it degrades video quality.

Out of my curiosity can you please try and see if you can crash with this nightly build?

Otherwise, based on the module that is causing the crash, please update your sound card drivers.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Parias

Thanks. Here we go -

Code: [Select]
Caused By Address : portcls.sys+228d3
A quick Google search shows PortCLS.sys to be related to an integrated sound board of some sort - heh, in fact, almost every hit (if not every other hit) is about someone complaining about blue screen errors related to this sound card for all sorts of various reasons. Since the blue screen error in your case is pointing the finger at this driver as being at fault as well, I'm gonna wager this issue indeed does not specifically lie with FSOpen / WiH.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name

Thanks. Here we go -

Caused By Address : portcls.sys+228d3
A quick Google search shows PortCLS.sys to be related to an integrated sound board of some sort

Initializing OpenAL...
  Using 'SB X-Fi Audio [0001]' as OpenAL sound device...
  OpenAL Vendor     : Creative Labs Inc.
  OpenAL Renderer   : SB X-Fi Audio [0001]
  OpenAL Version    : OpenAL version 1.1

He's not using integrated sound board, and a fast googling suggests that portcls.sys isn't part of soundcard driver files, it's the Windows XP system's sound daemon.

However, he is using Hardware sound renderer, so I would recommend switching to Generic Software on Audio/Joystick tab on Launcher, then see if problem persists.

- heh, in fact, almost every hit (if not every other hit) is about someone complaining about blue screen errors related to this sound card for all sorts of various reasons. Since the blue screen error in your case is pointing the finger at this driver as being at fault as well, I'm gonna wager this issue indeed does not specifically lie with FSOpen / WiH.

Well, it's a Windows system file rather than any individual sound card's driver file - but the sound card drivers it interacts with are likely the result of the crash.

There are a few things you can do, first of which I already suggested - set sound to Generic Software in Launcher.

Second, update your drivers (or re-install them, but don't hold your breath, Creative's drivers are notoriously crappy).

Third, make sure your onboard sound card (if any) is disabled in BIOS, as having multiple sound devices (even if deactivated on the OS) can cause wacky stuff even though it shouldn't.

Fourth... well, you can disable sound temporarily and see if that gets you past the crash site safely. In fact that diagnostic might confirm or falsify the hypothesis of the problem being sound-related.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, will try them out tomorrow and see how they go. I suspect disabling the on-board sound card in BIOS should do the trick, as I have neglected to do that.
~Nighteyes

Offline Parias

He's not using integrated sound board, and a fast googling suggests that portcls.sys isn't part of soundcard driver files, it's the Windows XP system's sound daemon.

Ha! You're actually right - my bad. That's what I get for trying to troubleshoot after a long day. Apologies.