Author Topic: Infinity Blade  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
I downloaded Infinity Blade shortly after I got my new Ipod Touch. I thought it was pretty mediocre, despite its excellent combat system and technically impressive graphics (which I thought looked very bland). It was just too repetitive for my tastes, and its storyline had no depth whatsoever. I quickly came to the conclusion that it only got so much praise because it's an iOS game and people have much lower standards for those (a 9? Seriously, IGN?).

I got Infinity Blade II and Awakening a couple of days ago. I only recently finished Awakening and started the second game. I haven't played it for very long, but it already seems like a vast improvement. The combat system has been expanded with two new fighting styles, the story is far better, and the game itself is much longer with more environments and bosses. The graphics aren't hugely improved from a technical perspective, but they look much nicer and more varied. The background music also greatly enhances the atmosphere, giving the game a lonely and mournful feel. I should probably finish the game before fully judging it, but so far I can think of many handheld and a few console games that it surpasses.

Anybody else played this game? And if so what did you think about it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:33:58 pm by Apollo »
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline Mikes

I downloaded Infinity Blade shortly after I got my new Ipod Touch. I thought it was pretty mediocre, despite its excellent combat system and technically impressive graphics (which I thought looked very bland). It was just too repetitive for my tastes, and its storyline had no depth whatsoever. I quickly came to the conclusion that it only got so much praise because it's an iOS game and people have much lower standards for those (a 9? Seriously, IGN?).

Pretty much that. The mobile gaming world is literally a world on its own... and what counts as "outstanding" there, often wouldn't stand a snowflakes chance in hell to even compete with a 5/10 console/PC game.

As I got my Galaxy Tab I dove all excited, head first, into mobile gaming and came out utterly disappointed just a few months later.

My recommendation on mobile is... stick to ports of older actual console and PC games... the platform is perfect to make those old gaming gems shine. The new stuff however is pretty much, without exception, garbage. (literally... haven't seen a single "mobile exclusive" game that wasn t utter crap or worse: utter crap with some idiotic cash shop scheme on top)

Some recommendations: Telltales the Walking Dead. Emudotcom ports of R-Type, Raiden, etc. Some old Final Fantasy (1-3) titles by Square (if you like JRPGs). Spacechem maybe as well, although I find it works better with a mouse. And if you are into adventure games there are the Monkey Island remakes and Broken Sword as well.

ScummVM runs pretty well on mobile too and supports all kinds of games nowadays.
If you feel adventurous you can even try installing GemRB and try to get Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale etc. to run.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:31:43 pm by Mikes »

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Pretty much that. The mobile gaming world is literally a world on its own... and what counts as "outstanding" there, often wouldn't stand a snowflakes chance in hell to even compete with a 5/10 console/PC game.

As I got my Galaxy Tab I dove all excited, head first, into mobile gaming and came out utterly disappointed just a few months later.

My recommendation on mobile is... stick to ports of older actual console and PC games... the platform is perfect to make those old gaming gems shine. The new stuff however is pretty much, without exception, garbage. (literally... haven't seen a single "mobile exclusive" game that wasn t utter crap or worse: utter crap with some idiotic cash shop scheme on top)

Some recommendations: Telltales the Walking Dead. Emudotcom ports of R-Type, Raiden, etc. Some old Final Fantasy (1-3) titles by Square (if you like JRPGs). Spacechem maybe as well, although I find it works better with a mouse. And if you are into adventure games there are the Monkey Island remakes and Broken Sword as well.

ScummVM runs pretty well on mobile too and supports all kinds of games nowadays.
If you feel adventurous you can even try installing GemRB and try to get Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale etc. to run.

In general, I'd say you're right. I've downloaded 6 iOS exclusives, and only two of them (Infinity Blade 2 and Dead Space) are actually good. The rest are either bad or mediocre. However, I will say that the lack of quality is more due to designers being lazy than the system's limitations.

Don't you have to jailbreak your iPod to get emulator games?

Offline Mikes

In general, I'd say you're right. I've downloaded 6 iOS exclusives, and only two of them (Infinity Blade 2 and Dead Space) are actually good. The rest are either bad or mediocre. However, I will say that the lack of quality is more due to designers being lazy than the system's limitations.

Dead Space is a good example imho. (Didn't play Infinity Blade). I would grant that Dead Space is "very good" for a mobile game...     but take just one look at the "real" Deadspace 1/2 and you quickly realize how simplistic, limited and repetitive the mobile variant really is. Has nothing to do with the graphics or the capabilities of the device either... the simplicity of the encounters  may have to do with the awkward (in comparison) touch controls however.

Don't you have to jailbreak your iPod to get emulator games?

Not sure on that as my experience comes from the Android variety.

As far as ScummVM goes, it is a rather respectable piece of Software. 
I would be really suprised if it wasn't available for regular phones in Appleland.

GemRB is as well, but propably too experimental/unstable/complicated to gain official approval.

Either of them requires that you actually buy the games you want to play. (GoG is a great place for that.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:21:59 pm by Mikes »

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Wow, someone on HLP actually played Infinity Blade and IB2!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Dead Space is a good example imho. (Didn't play Infinity Blade). I would grant that Dead Space is "very good" for a mobile game...     but take just one look at the "real" Deadspace 1/2 and you quickly realize how simplistic, limited and repetitive the mobile variant really is. Has nothing to do with the graphics or the capabilities of the device either... the simplicity of the encounters  may have to do with the awkward (in comparison) touch controls however.

As far as ScummVM goes, it is a rather respectable piece of Software. 
I would be really suprised if it wasn't available for regular phones in Appleland.

Dead Space might not be anywhere near as good as the console version, but it's good enough that I would be willing to pay for a DS version of it. Infinity Blade is pretty mediocre, but Infinity Blade 2 is much better and easily one of the best portable games I've ever played. The PS2-quality graphics are also very impressive in a market where N64 quality is usually the best you can hope for, and it has good gameplay and storyline.

Nope, no ScummVM in Appleland.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
I have both Infinity Blades but I like the fights on the second much more than the first.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
I have both Infinity Blades but I like the fights on the second much more than the first.

I prefer the second's too. Much, much more variety.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/14/infinity-blade-free-until-feb-21/

Infinity Blade is free this week!  A great time to try it.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D