Author Topic: Let's Play... some ADOM! - WON ON 9/4!!!  (Read 11583 times)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Let's Play... some ADOM! - WON ON 9/4!!!
(No previous Part)

HEY!

In the interest of making things a little easier to navigate with very large, picture-filled posts running around in this thread, I've added some navigational tools to this post and to all the other actual LP posts. First, a Table of Contents:

Part 0: Introduction to ADOM; Meet Slade (You're already here)
Part 1: Starting again; Meet Lorna
Part 2: Hey, we're really adventuring now!
Part 3: The plot (such as it is) revealed; Miracles all around
Part 4: Exorcist, Holy Champion, Firebrand
Part 5: Yo, dawg- I heard you like summoners...
Part 6: T,T,T,T,T,T... reload, repeat, profit?
Part 7: Heaven or Hell!
Part 8: Over... it's finally over...

Original post begins below:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feeling a bit bored, so I thought I'd share a playthrough of a game that pulls off a very impressive experience, despite representing everything with a single ASCII character. The game, of course is ADOM- Ancient Domains Of Mystery (http://www.adom.de/).

Now, what makes a Roguelike unique? The biggest gameplay element is permanent death. Yep- you have one shot to win the game, if you die, then nice try, wanna roll a new character? The other main element that people will notice is the near-lack of graphics- every ...thing in the game is represented by a single ASCII character. Your player-character is @. A red dragon is a red D. Get the picture? It can be intimidating for new players, but veterans (like me) hardly see the character itself after a while.

"You've done this before?" Yeah. That's one of the reasons I decided to do an LP of ADOM- because I already know what I'm doing and have pulled off a win already. (half-hearted fanfare) Of course I'll be doing this with a guidebook document within arm's reach, so to speak, so I should never really be unprepared for anything.

"But one of the big things for a Roguelike is being unprepared and being suprised and..." With no due respect, put a sock in it. We do this my way, or we don't do the damn thing. I won't be savescumming, so I need every other advantage I can come up with.

Enough of this! LETS! PLAY! SOME! ADOM!

PART 0: INTRODUCTION

The title screen

We want to generate a new character, yeah?

Booyah! It may not be obvious, but the Candle is easily the best starting birthsign.

"Specific character" seems good. I happen to know a killer build.

Gender isn't that important for this run. Let's let the dice decide.

Dark Elf.

Paladin.

Character history. Cool stuff, but not all that important.

Ah. Talents. Like "perks" or "feats" in other games. I chose "Miser" and "Alert" which allows me to take "Treasure Hunter". That last talent increases the amount and quality of loot I'm gonna find. Potentially awesome.

Oh, God! What am I looking at!? Basically, right now this is the world map. My character is the golden @ symbol in the upper right. This will never change. I start a little low on HP because today's a Monday. Slade is my character's name. St is Strength- 13 isn't bad for a start. Le is Learning- 10 is a bit sub-ideal, but not bad. Wi is Willpower- 15's alright. Dx is Dexterity- 16 is pretty high to start. To is Toughness- 10 is not a terrible start number for this crucial stat (it directly impacts your HP). Ch is Charisma- 11's ok, because charisma isn't too important. Ap is Appearance, and is just about useless to a male character. Ma is Mana- 20 represents a pretty good connection to the magic flow of Ancardia (the world where ADOM takes place). And Pe is Perception- higher numbers increase the sight radius around my character. Very helpful. 

Next line: DV is dodge ability, and PV is Protection offered by my armor. I generally want both of these as high as possible. H is health. Self-explanatory. P is magical power. Doesn't matter right now, since I don't have spells yet, but becomes hugely important later. Exp is... really? You know what it is. DrCh is shorthand for my current location: the Drakalor Chain, and SP:101 is my Speed. 100 is average. I'll explain Speed in detail later. Adventuring time!

A small cave? Seems like the perfect place to start, and not just because there's a semi-secret and very helpful item in here.

Here we go.

Ah, my first victim, doubtless soon to be among thousands. The blue g to my upper-left is a Goblin rockthrower. We would do well to remember this poor sod.

Woo! A bit more fighting, and I've hit level 2! F yeah!

Here's what we went in here for: a blanket. But not just any blanket, a waterproof blanket which can protect my inventory from water damage. Time to leave!

It's time to go, because the monsters in this part of the dungeon are always 2x my level. Yeah, this becomes an issue real fast.

That said, we need to grind a bit if we really want to survive. The Infinite Dungeon is a perfect place for this. Don't worry- the rate of pictures is gonna drop off real quick. From this point on, I'll just be posting significant screens.

And there we have a start, gentlemen and ladies. I'mma play a bit more tonight, but that concludes the first post here.

[Edit: image URLs]
[Edit2: eye-catching stuff]
[Edit3: Organization and ease of reading overhaul]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 10:09:30 am by IronBeer »
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play... some ADOM! (A Roguelike)
....and I promptly get poisoned to death by a Dark Elven Warrior REALLY quick in.  :nono: So much for a real LP.

[Edit: a visual aid for great justice]
[Edit2: part of the overhaul efforts]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 10:11:24 am by IronBeer »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Oh god this game is SO HARD.

Also your images are all broken.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Also your images are all broken.
Really? I thought I got the format right...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's not the forum tags that are broken, the links just don't link to anything so nothing shows up. Are you linking to a private gallery or something?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I can see them just fine myself.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Work for me now.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Oh god this game is SO HARD.
In the beginning is usually where the trouble is. Once you get to about level 10, survivability tends to go way, way up. Is there something in particular that tends to ruin your day?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Man, I like old fashioned RPGs like Exile and Avernum, but this is REALLY YE OLDE-SCHOOLE. Can you feel my self-disappoint?

In any sense, more please. :D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I've dumped a bunch of time into this, although a lot of it was save-scumming. The appeal of spending 99% of my time replaying the same initial 10% of the game just doesn't appeal to me. :)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft

Quick Navigation:

Part 0: Introduction to ADOM; Meet Slade
Part 1: Starting again; Meet Lorna (You are here)
Part 2: Hey, we're really adventuring now!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well. After the intense let-down of our previous character, Slade, I have decided to start again... but this time with a character who's got her feet on the ground a bit to start. Meet Lorna, another Dark Elven Paladin, sharing her journey with HLP starting at level 10:

THE EPIC OF LORNA, PART 1: EARLY GAME
This time around we've already got the waterproof blanket, some decent equipment, some experience, and a hint of ever-handy intrinsic fire resistance from munching a fire beetle corpse.

Welcome to Terinyo. We're here because a couple handy quests originate here: the Healer quest, the Druid quest, and the puppy quest. The Healer and Druid quests are mutually exclusive: you can only choose 1. I decided to do the Druid quest, because the reward from the Healer (the Healing skill) Lorna already has. Our druid friend here wants us to go kill a fallen druid who's posted up in a cave, corrupting the local wildlife. We'll do that later. Even with our relative headstart, the dark druid eats unprepared PCs for breakfast.

I also decided to take on the Puppy quest- all we have to do is find a little girl's puppy lost in a cave, and bring it back to her. Simple right? Of course, nobody tells you that the cave is a practical deathtrap for lov-level PCs, so we're gonna postpone that one too.

First stop is the ****hole bandit town of Laweni-who-cares-about-the-spelling.

One big reason to stop by is to visit the shop (second building from the left), and the master thief's home (big building, leftmost room). There's a lot of stuff to do early on, but I'm already past it. Dumped a lot of useless gear, and grabbed a couple useful things. Onward!

This is as good a time as any to fill y'all in on the story here. The continent of Ancardia is under siege by the forces of Chaos (not entirely unlike the WH40k variety)- they just don't quite realize it yet. This dungeon, the Caverns of Chaos, is the primary locus of the Chaotic incursions. Progress in the game is mostly marked by descent through this dungeon's 50 levels. There's a bit more, but I can address that as we go along.

Ah! Our first checkpoint, the Arena. Just like the name suggests, we can fight **** for gold here- in fact, we'll be doing that later for a quest. A little more importantly, this level is a great source for light, nutritious food. Ratling merchants (light blue "r"s) near the arena proper (area to the right) sell, among other things, fried bats and cooked lizards, both of which are great.

AAARGH. This situation isn't nearly as bad as it appears- I'm surrounded by jackals, most of whom will never even land a hit on me. Those asshole dogs were summoned by a jackalwere (orange "d"  up and to my right). The fight is only the least bit dangerous, but very annoying as I wade through all the pages of combat messages. Also, this is another landmark room- the big room. It's a room with basically no walls, and a very high rate of monster spawning. Enemies that summon more monsters can easily fill up the screen with their petty, annoying spawn, so I need to kill as many creatures as possible to avoid a long-term problem.

Here's something special that I felt should be pointed out: a magic pool, directly to my right. Drinking from these pools can cause a variety of magical effects, in any combination of powerful, petty, helpful, and harmful. I point this out because pools are a pretty good source for a WISH, which is exactly what it sounds like. I don't want to dick around with something that could totally ruin a young character yet, so we'll simply remember this.

Welcome to Dwarftown, the main "town" in ADOM. It actually has quite a few amenities, going clockwise from the top-left: a shop with occasionally helpful stuff (and an owner who rips off Dark Elves), a village elder who assigns several quests, a training hall where I can turn (a lot) of gold into attribute improvements, a smithy (that can teach smithing and allows you to do work, both at very high prices), a tavern with a grizzled old gladiator and cheap ale, a small secret room with a mysterious mystic, and a temple with an altar I cannot use do to Lorna's Chaotic alignment. We'll be fixing that soon.

I feel now that this isn't a bad time to work on the quests we picked up earlier, but first I want to ask the dwarven elder if there's anything HE wants us to do. Asking him about "quests" reveals that he wants Lorna to prove herself by slaying a swordsman. (Thank God- it's a common creature). And I know just the place to find such a swordy asshole.

Bawhawhaw. Knock, knock Mr. Druid. We're here to kill your ass!

Now, before we go and ruin our Dark Druid's day, I want Lorna to change alignment. We can do this via the altar (a white _ right and down from Lorna). Changing alignment can be tricky, since you risk pissing off one of a couple deities, so, as a precaution, I've dropped almost my entire inventory in the corner, save for a cursed cloak that I won't miss anyways, and some gold.

To actually pull of our alignment change, we first check to make sure the room is locked off (already addressed). If the room isn't locked off, a speaking monster could wander in and sacrifice us to their gods while we're standing on the altar. Bad, but hilarious; and it works the other way around. So, we just offer (shift+o) one gold piece at a time until our alignment changes and our new deity welcomes us in. Then, we offer most of our remaining gold to build up some piety.

All done. Check the alignment- it's gone from Chaotic to Neutral. Also, now that my new goddess likes me, I can do some cool stuff. Dropping potions of water on an aligned altar results in Holy Water, an immensely useful item. I dip one of my Scrolls of Identify into some of this Holy Water to bless it, then read the scroll to instantly identify all of my items. Fun. Also, I can drop unidentified items onto an altar to find out whether those items are Blessed, Uncursed, or Cursed.

Hey, what'd I tell ya! Lorna was certainly prepared for Keethrax's brand of bull**** (largely via an amulet of light to counter his Darkness spells), but again, I'd leik to stress that he can easily pillage young characters. So, to the victor go the spoils- the Black Torc (which I still don't quite know what it is- it's an artifact amulet that can also be thrown like a boomerang) and Keethrax's corpse, which we can trade to the good druid for a Potion of Cure Corruption- extremely valuable later on. Oh, and I wrecked a Swordsman earlier in the dungeon. 2 for 3, shall we make it 3/3?

This cave only appears after accepting the puppy quest. Let's do it! Let's save a little girl's puppy! FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

We were too late. Oh, well. We can still return the corpse and tell the little girl for an alignment boost. (Which is what I really wanted out of this quest).

Living within this little clearing is an old retired barbarian. He gives us a quest to kill 20 more of our first kill. In exchange, he'll teach us about Courage. I wisely chose a Goblin Rockthrower to be Lorna's first victim. I'm not gonna go out an hunt 20 more specifically- I'll rack them up soon enough.

After turning in our initial quest from the dwarven elder, he gives us another quest- to go become Champion of the Arena. Really, not all that hard. In addition to my gold winnings, I also earn the Golden Gladius, an artifact shortsword. It's pretty good, but far more valuable to me traded in for some training from the grizzled old gladiator.

At this time, I take on most of the dwarven elder's remaining quests: first is to venture beyond the Animated Forest. It's mostly a patience game, sliding between mostly apathetic wandering walking trees and dodging the hostiles until I find the down stair. Having played several games of ADOM, I say "**** that". Seriously, sneaking around in the Animated Forest sucks a lot. There is an alternative, but it could easily get me killed- the overrun and conquered Dwarven Halls, a 2-floor gauntlet of out-of-depth danger. On the first floor of the Halls, I'm alerted to the presence of a Tension Room (a locked room filled to the brim with monsters). In older games, I've seen a level 12-ish PC massacred by Ancient Dragons on this level of the Halls, so when the down stair doesn't appear without me popping open any doors, I wisely use a scroll of monster detection. What it reveals makes me glad for my discretion: a tension room full of a variety of Giants, fortunately well out of my way. I cautiously locate the downstair and move on. The next floor has the stair located mercifully close; I pass through and finish up. My reward? A well-charged blessed Wand of Fireball. Sweet.

The last quest I do for the elder for the time being is to wipe out a tribe of Ogres making their home just beneath Dwarftown. By and large, the fight was very simple, and the quest nets me a nice set of gear. Some of it I hold on to, the rest I sell.

After slinking through the very hostile Dwarven Halls and pummeling a Stone Golem, I locate the Ancient Scythe "Moon Sickle", a powerful weapon of Chaos. Most Chaotic artifacts simply corrupt the wielder over time, but Moon Sickle only corrupts you when it scores a hit on an opponent. Oh, yeah. Moon Sickle can also corrupt any potion into a volatile Potion of Raw Chaos. The Sickle is sweet, but I won't really be using it much for now.

At some point during all this adventuring, I manage to decipher a few of my spellbooks and learn a little magic. All the spells you see there are useful. Divine Key lets me unlock locked doors, bypassing any traps; Lesser Divine Touch is a Stun Ray spell; Minor Punishment is basically Magic Missile (that spell royally saved my ass once. Perhaps I'll have occasion to share how someday); and Slow Monster is actually one of the most potent spells in the game- if I can successfully slow a monster, I basically get extra turns relative to the poor sod.

My character just chilling out. The room around me is a temporary item cache. Here you can see all the physical stats I ended this session on.

All my currently equipped items. I'll field any questions on gear later.

That'll be it for today, folks. This time around, we have a half-decent character going. Perhaps you'll be witness to some really cool stuff.

[Edit: eye-catching stuff]
[Edit2: navigational overhaul]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 10:22:07 am by IronBeer »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Let's Play... some ADOM! (A Roguelike)- UPDATED 5/31
It would be neat if the source code of this were released. I'd love to see this as an isometric RPG.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Re: Let's Play... some ADOM! (A Roguelike)- UPDATED 5/31
Hmm. Maybe I should try ADOM sometime (never played it, I'm more of a NetHack guy). Good LP :)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play... some ADOM! (A Roguelike)- UPDATED 6/7

Quick Navigation:

Part 2: Hey, we're really adventuring now! (You are here)

It's been over a week already? Buuuuh. I bet everybody's chomping at the bit for some moar adventure! ......(silence), ok, maybe not everybody, but here's a short update.

THE EPIC OF LORNA, PART 2: UNDEAD RAMPAGE
I started off today by exploring downstairs a bit. No more than 2 levels pass before I find my downward progress blocked by a badly injured Dying Sage (white @, just a bit down and to the right), sitting right on the down stair. How rude. I don't speak with him (since I happen to know that'll mess with things), so we just work around him until I clear out the floor. To save him, we need a special item which we don't presently have (and I also won't give away to HLP); the Sage will keep for now, so we'll head back up and see if there's any havoc for us to wreak.

Hey, another quest! The Dwarven Elder has yet another job for Lorna- this time he wants us to dispense some vengeance upon a necromancer who's reanimated an ancient Dwarven hero. Sounds good!

Doodley, doo...

The ground floor of the graveyard was absolutely choked with wimpy undead. While they're individually weak, they could potentially swamp Lorna and drag her down to death. But, "potentially" does not mean "they will"; they have all been laid to rest for good.

Pop down a floor into a fiendish labyrinth of twisting corridors, undead freaks, and devious traps. Oh yeah, and a huge-ass room with our necromancer buddy, a boatload of rotting arseholes, and this guy. Primary target locked!

With Griff finally being laid to rest, Lorna faces down moar undead! Bring it, you moldy whoresons!

Well, that closes the tap on the undead rot-fountain. Nonnak wasn't all that tough, but he could ruin an unprepared PC. The worst he had was a pretty good ice blast attack, and the ability to spam ludicrous amounts of undead.

Can haz lewtz? The little room directly above me (requires digging to get into), holds the best gauntlets in the game, the creatively-named Artifact, the Elemental Gauntlets. They provide resistance to basically all elemental attacks, and have another very good hidden property. Also, the grave (a gray + to the left and a bit above Lorna) contains the Sword of Nonnak, an Artifact broadsword with a handy attribute bonus. Of course, gravedigging is technically a Chaotic act, but... eh, what the hell. LEWT!

Next stop on Lorna's Ancardian Asskicking Tour is the Pyramid- a few levels prior, she received an invitation to see the mysterious Rehetep. Of course, it's gonna be a trap. You think we're here to sell cookies? ;7

Ah, here we are at the precipice level of the pyramid, to face down the Mummy Lord Rehetep! He reveals his reasons for inviting us over- to steal our skin to form new wrappings! Asshole! The fight was pretty easy, went invisible to evade the lesser monsters, then quite literally killed Rehetep and his mummy minions with fire. And fireballs. The only creep that gave me pause was the Greater Mimic, cleverly disguised as a aqua "(" up and to the right. Mimics usually stand out even with their disguise as an item (protip: it's because they're off-color), but they have the ability to paralyze a PC on hit (!). Paralysis is generally a death sentence, since you can perform NO ACTIONS WHATSOEVER while paralyzed. Suffice to say, the Greater Mimic was a more exciting fight than Rehetep's crispy ass.

(sigh) Time now to deal with our Dying Sage friend. He needs a ridiculously rare item to save his life, and he is definitely worth saving. The needed item is rare enough to warrant using a wish, which is just what I saved this pool for. I've had games where about 5-7 pools have been drained and all I got for my trouble was some harmful intrinsics.

So, Lorna rolls the dice and takes a few sips. Turns out, it's her lucky day- I get some Stun Resistance, a quest from a strange little Frog, and (thank God) a Wish. I spend the wish on the necessary item, and prepare to move on.

Not the most epic of LP sessions today, but they can't all be crazy awesome. Assuming I come up with some time this week, perhaps Lorna will carve her place in legend!

[Edit: eye-catching stuff]
[Edit2: navigational overhaul]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 10:28:11 am by IronBeer »

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I'm impressed... I honestly don't see how anyone can get this far without save-scumming.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Could someone explain what save-scumming is for the uninitiated?

Interesting read, IronBeer. I'll be keeping an eye on this.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Shade

ADOM uses only one save, and saves only when you exit the game - the intent is that if you die, you die. Save-scumming is if you exit earlier to keep a fairly recent save handy, and then back up that save to keep multiple saves so you can revert to an earlier one if something doesn't go as planned.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
ADOM uses only one save, and saves only when you exit the game - the intent is that if you die, you die. Save-scumming is if you exit earlier to keep a fairly recent save handy, and then back up that save to keep multiple saves so you can revert to an earlier one if something doesn't go as planned.
It's a little more in-depth than that: you actually need to make a copy of your savegame file and plop it somewhere that the game can't eat it if you mess up.

In a related story, I intend to play another session later today. Anticipation!

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play... some ADOM! (A Roguelike)- UPDATED 6/16

Quick Navigation:

Part 2: Hey, we're really adventuring now
Part 3: The plot (such as it is) revealed; Miracles all around (You are here)

Update!

THE EPIC OF LORNA, PART 3: CHAOS COUNTERSTIRKE

Right, so we pick up where we left off: right on the heels of some exceptionally stupid good luck. Lorna's got her supar-rare item to save our dying Sage buddy, so we race on down to deliver the trinket. No longer on death's doorstep, indeed, just having "Gotten Betta", the sage fills us in on what we must do to stop the forces of Chaos from overrunning Ancardia. The Five Elements have been thrown out of whack by the Chaotic invasion, and there are five magic orbs that are corrupting each element: Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and Mana.

Just before disappearing, the sage leaves some stuff behind. This is all kick-ass equipment, the dagger is of Eternium (the best metal in the game), the potions are Potions of Ultra Healing, the scrolls are immensely valuable Scrolls of Chaos Resistance (they actually cleanse you of corruption, not make you more resilient. Go figure), and the spellbooks are good, too. Enlightenment is equivalent to Identify, and Ethereal Bridge is a teleportation spell. If I teleport now, I'll just bounce around randomly, but there are ways to control it.... later.

Weren't we done with the undead party!? Not quite, apparently. Welcome to the Graveyard. Enjoy your stay.

Well, that kinda sucked. But at least Lorna's still on course, and this level will be MUCH easier to traverse in the future.

HERE WE GO! Lorna is now bravely assaulting the Water Temple, home of the first Chaos Orb. The blue stuff towards the bottom of the screen is a river- I have never seen a river on this floor, ever. First time for everything, but in this case, it's a massive complication. You'll see why in a minute.

:( Poor Lorna has just accumulated enough corruption points to manifest her first physical corruption- antennae. There is a maximum amount of corruption points a PC can absorb before being transformed, body and soul, into a hideous servant of Chaos. Thankfully, Lorna's nowhere near that limit (yet), but her journey will be paved with much cringe-worthy alteration. Even if she succeeds, will Lorna ever be able to cleanse herself of Chaos' vile stain? Only time will tell.

Meet the Water Guardian, the Snake From Beyond. There are no sneaky tricks to getting the Water Orb- the Snake carries it, and Lorna must slay the snake to liberate the Orb. Fortunately, she came into the fight prepared: the Snake and all its aquatic cronies are vulnerable to fire. Our plucky paladin happens to have a good bit of fire magic memorized, along with some wands of fire on hand. Let's RUMBLE!

Oh, God! OH, GOD! IT HURTS! Unbelievable as it may seem, the situation is mostly under control. Lorna's got plenty of healing items handy (as in, items that can bring her right back to full health and/or deal with the poison), but it's never pleasant to see your PC a mere 1 HP from death... kinda puts things into perspective, y'know, the fragility of life... Wait, that Snake's still waiting to finish me off, eh? We shall see about that! Lorna prays fervently to her benevolent Goddess, who bestows divine healing upon the holy warrior. No longer in immediate danger of death, Lorna charges back into the fray!

Scratch one Orb Guardian! Following this fight, I direct Lorna to mop up any remaining water minions, then I have her pimp-strut right along. By the way, for those of you following along at home- the Water Orb is equippable as a tool, and confers a constant +10 bonus to your Willpower (that's great for Ball spells!), and when 'u'sed, it heals you to full HP, but forces some corruption points onto your character.

This was a rather unremarkable Vault filled with a mix of Berserkers and summoned spiders. Naturally, once Lorna's defeated everything within aside from a lone Berserker King, Duel of the Fates pops right onto my Pandora rotation. A barbarian king, his people scattered, disgraced, and broken, faces the agent of his downfall, a holy paladin from beneath the earth. Weapons clang, blood is drawn, but in the end, only one stands tall, Lorna, the paladin destined for greatness. She regards the mortally-wounded king with what could be empathy, possibly even pity, but in her heart she knows there can be no turning back, no mercy. Spear pierces flesh one last time, then all is silent.

HO-LEE ****.
I don't remember picking this up, but it is indeed very real. Once I'm able to, I have my paladin squirrel it away in the little item hidey-hole that's steadily been growing throughout the game. Unfortunately, wands of wishing cannot be recharged, but 5 wishes is unbelievable. Yes, 5- you can use wands that are at zero charges by trying repeatedly, and the last cast will destroy the wand. I don't know what I can use those wishes on at the moment, but they will certainly have value in the late game.

Well, getting down was kind of a bastard, but the fight should be simp.... wait, why is the water red? Yeah, if you intend to try and follow in my footsteps, DON'T GET IN THE WATER. Evar. Those little fishes are Chaos Piranhas, and are easily capable of dealing about 200 points of damage per step. Yeah. So, we're gonna need a way to get across without becoming chum.

Fortunately, its still normal water in all other respects, and freezes just fine. Early in her adventures, Lorna picked up a spellbook of Freezing Fury (aka Ice Ball). Ice spells can freeze water if they pass over it. Couple-a castings later, viola- a brilliant, and nice wide ice bridge to that suspicious island in the middle. And Lorna's nice and safe from the bastard fish.

Prepare to be deposed, o foul regent!

That'll be it for today. I leave you with some basic updates on Lorna's status.

Currently equipped gear.

Present spell knowledge.

Until next time! And I need to get some sleep now....

[Edit: navigational overhaul]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 10:34:45 am by IronBeer »

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play... some ADOM! - UPDATED 7/8, See First Post!

Quick Navigation:

Part 2: Hey, we're really adventuring now
Part 4: Exorcist, Holy Champion, Firebrand (You are here)

THE EPIC OF LORNA, PART 4: EXORCIST, HOLY CHAMPION, FIREBRAND

Hope y'all like the extra stuff I threw in. When even I have trouble navigating the thread, you know things are kinda silly. Yeah, it's been a while, but what can I say? IRL can be a bigger foe than anything Lorna's gotta face, but Fate conspired to allow her my guidance for an afternoon, and I am pleased to present our hero's latest accomplishments!

Wait, why are we outside? Shouldn't we be in the Caverns of Chaos rippin' on the baddies? Short answer: yes. Full answer: yes, but Lorna needs to powerlevel a bit if we want her to have a good chance at what awaits her today. Thus, we head over to Darkforge, the first level of which is a rather boring and nondescript dungeon floor.

Don't go here as a new character. For the most part, the dungeon is pretty harmless, but the stair down to Darkforge proper is defended by a mighty Steel Golem. Novice characters will pretty much get crushed to paste after breaking their weapons on the Golem's indomitable metallic hide. And it gets better.

Darkforge proper, pictured above, is just lousy with metallic monstrosities, including about 20 Steel Golems. Lorna was able to destroy them all, but even her most vicious strikes barely hurt the stalwart automatons. But, once the floor was secured, the spoils go to the victor: the artifact Crown of Science, a modest pile of gold, rooms full of randomized weapons and armor (there's a pretty good chance of getting at least one good item), and a room with a lot of magic pools. There's also a secret staircase to a pretty low floor in the Caverns of Chaos, but we can't use it yet.

Also here is the evil chaotic Dwarven Artificer Kherab. He's got some quests for characters who are willing to do some really evil things, but the rewards aren't worth the trouble. He's also a lot stronger than Lorna at the moment, but he's definitely on my "to kill" list for later.

Head back to Dwarftown for one last quest from the town's elder. A Greater Demon that's been troubling the town has gotta go. Sure, sure, whatever. Easy fight was easy- once I found my mark, the foul creature succumbed within a just a few smacks from Lorna's blessed spear.

Upon reporting my triumph to the Dwarven elder, he rewards me with the leaden artifact mace "Big Punch". As you can guess by the fact that I'm offering it to Lorna's goddess, the mace's usefulness is limited; the fact that the mace weighs in at an absurd 800 stones really counts against it.

The coolest part of finishing the demon "quest" and scoring another artifact is how I can offer up those useless artifacts to my deity and score lots of piety. Forking over Big Punch, the Crown of Science, Moon Sickle (remember that?) and a bunch of other useful stuff, I finally reach maximum piety with Anssaria. Maximum piety allows me to pray one more time and be crowned Anssaria's holy Champion!

Becoming Champion bestows several significant advantages to my character. First, Lorna will be permanently Blessed, so essentially, all her dice rolls will be "nudged" to be a bit better. Next, she gains an elemental resistance intrinsic, in this case the elusive Shock resistance. Also, the metabolism penalty for equipping artifacts is reduced (normally your charater will have to eat more frequently per artifact, stacking). Finally, being Crowned will reward you with an artifact; what you get is dictated by your character's race and class. In this case, Lorna scored the Paladin-only longsword Justifier, which does massive damage against Demons and Undead.

Eggggh. Background corruption is simply a fact of life below Floor 10 of the Caverns of Chaos. Lorna's new corruption actually has no side effects, but it's still a bad sign.

Plop on down a few floors and enter a room filled with "emotions of despair and sorrow". And there are corpses everywhere. Hm. Seems kinda bad.

Not just "kinda bad", "potentially character-ending". Lorna's got to face down the Banshee. Hearing the Banshee's wail will instantly kill ANY character. Simple solution? Ensure Lorna doesn't hear the Banshee's scream- a little beeswax later, and Lorna is safe and deaf.

Aside from her fearsome wail, the Banshee is a pretty frail customer.

See? Easy.

Wall of fire? Bah. Lorna's got so many fire-resist items equipped, plus her natural fire resistance, that this pansy-ass wall should be no trouble at all.

:hopping: what. Eh, I was gonna have to deal with this eventually. Time to stroll on over to the delightful Tower of Eternal Flames and fetch the Elemental Orb of Fire.

The Tower of Eternal Flames is pretty much exactly what it sounds like: a tower-type dungeon that's constantly on fire. Obviously, there's a problem from fire damage (which isn't an issue for our increasingly beastly Paladin), but there is another issue- item destruction. Lorna's got a fireproof blanket to protect items in her pack, but it isn't 100% foolproof and it won't cover items that Lorna has equipped. To minimize the odds of losing something fragile and valuable, we're only going to take the bare essentials and only equip gear that won't burn or melt.

Doodley doodley doo...

Sweet Anssaria, everything is on fire. Luckily, Lorna doesn't really give a toss- she's pretty much immune to fire. Excellent news, since she'll be cooked a bit basically every turn.

Sweet Anssaria, everything IS fire now! Top level of the Tower of Eternal Flames, and.... wait.... ...the ****? There's a room full of WATER ELEMENTALS to my left. RNG, go figure. Anyhow, easy XP hiyo!

Because knowledge is power, I zap a Wand of Monster Detection to see what else I'm up against. Lovely. Nobody ever said saving the world would be easy, I suppose?

Ah, my nemesis, the Ancient Chaos Wyrm. In my multiple attempts at beating ADOM, this beastly chaotic mother****er has killed more aspiring heroes than any other foe in my career. I'll let the beast's description speak for itself.

I think all the nasty fire beasties need to chill out. With a bunch of buff's to Lorna's Willpower stat, the blast for Ice Ball can be expanded to cover a deliciously large area. Best of all, ball spells will always harm monsters if they're vulnerable to that type of damage, so a good Ball can wreck a lot of mobs in short order. Most importantly, Ice Ball gives me a way to hurt the Ancient Chaos Wyrm without chancing melee combat.

Dead, dead! DEAD! DEAAAAAD MADAFAKAAAA!!! ...(ahem) You'll have to excuse my zeal- Tower of Eternal Flames has historically been a very tough dungeon, and this is the easiest victory I've had over the Chaos Wyrm thus far. No damage!

(Whew!) ...and that's the last of 'em. Plus yet another level-up to boot? Yes, please!

Back to the the hideout for now.

Spell list is getting pretty impressive now.... Which is excellent news. Lorna's only going to become a more potent mage as she keeps levelling up.

Boasty equipment setup. Black Dragon Scale Armor grants Lorna yet another elemental invincibility, Acid this time. The Elemental Orb of Fire is my personal favorite, granting a healthy buff of +10 Strength for as long as the Orb is equipped; the Orb can also cast Fireball for no cost other than some corruption.

Where will Lorna's quest to save Ancardia take her next? Tune in next time I bother to poast an update!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 10:45:56 am by IronBeer »