Author Topic: BETA RELEASE: Revenge Final Conflict  (Read 33938 times)

Re: BETA RELEASE: Revenge Final Conflict
im too he doing great
i only mis chapter 2
progress

Hey everyone,

Many thanks to everyone who has so far contributed to the Beta of Revenge and working on restoring this mod for FS2 SCP.

I have to say I am totally amazed people still remember this mod and try to restore it. Almost 20 years have gone since I developed this when I was a teenager aged 15 / 16 (I took me indeed over a year... sadly I had none of the great modding tools that are available today when I lived in my parents home in the "no internet" era).

Now I am 34 and have two kids at home - and course they both like Freespace ;) It is amazing to see this project having survived my entire lifetime since then. That's really crazy - in a positive sense.

When digging out my earliest archives and backups, I indeed tried to make Revenge FC run on my current Freespace 2 SCP built which did not work. Downloading now a version few days ago that actually works is incredible. It's like a time machine, having not played this for I think 10 or 12 years and now suddenly the missions, the story, everything that was part of my life for over a year at times when I went to high school is back. As I said, amazing... I am really grateful to all the people having contributed to this.

Actually, I am looking from a somewhat more skeptical perspective now on the mission design but nevertheless, its kind of real fun to play these missions even though I am sometimes shaking my own head when looking what I did back in the past :)

Whilst it is far away from the almost perfection of some newer mods such as Blue Planet (my favorite mod by the way) I am really delighted to see that some people still play and have fun with this mods. Many thanks for this - this is really great.

It would be indeed awesome if the modders who have taken ownership on this mod today will continue finalizing the Beta - It looks really great, just few typos I sometimes note :D. Again, really much appreciate the effort put into this.

Best regards,

DarkwarriorSFN

PS: New account on HLP was unfortunately inevitable - could not remember password after such a long time and no surprise, e-mail account does no longer exit :blah:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 01:24:43 pm by DarkwarriorSFN »

hello maker
welcame back
is this supposed as over 100 missions long or longer

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Since this campaign is still in Beta, may I make two suggestions.

Well, i missed that message due to the hacked account i had.

So far i actually still did not really began any bigger enhancement of this. But after my Awakenings upgrade and translation is done, which is already in Release Candidate state. This project will one of my next Freespace projects finally.

First of all, i actually thought about to replacing the Andro-Terran fleet with different ships. Even it is unlikely, that the GTVA still uses FS2 tech only in 238X it is not a big issue that have to be change. However i actually totally dislikes that the AT are still using FS2 ships after thousands of years. I think they should use ships, that look different, but still terran, though. In 2018 i am actually very confident, that i find something suitable in other Mods for this... (or i simply reuse my models from my DMCA take downed Colony Wars: Remastered project to give them a good use finally after all these years. Andro-Terran Grappling Hook Power! :lol: )

These are fairly plot important missions  so most of my message will in in spoiler text.

1-
Spoiler:
  There is a mission in I believe chapter two where you destroy a Lucifer in Andro space for the first time.  It has the Marco Polo and an Andro destroyer present.  Basically there's no gamebreaking errors, however it just feels very tedious because it's just those ships firing on the Lucifer (while you destroy a bunch of fighters) for around 15 minutes.  If the structure of the mission is going to be simple, could the time of it be reduced?

2-
Spoiler:
One of the final parts of chapter 3 involved you and the MP chasing down five Lucifers.  That stretch of four missions is virtually identical and playing basically the same mission four times in a row is kind of boring.  Could that be lessened any? 
How about this: reduce it to three missions by having the Lucifers decide they need to get to Earth much quicker?  After you destroy the second Lucifer, the three remaining Lucifers decide to make a longer jump to Earth but this crash jump destroys one of the remaining three in the process.  That would remove one of the missions that's a mirror image of the others and you could still get that 'last' mission with the two Lucifers at one time near Earth.
Again, this isn't a gamebreaking error, but it could make the campaign more concise.

I have to say, i still did not replayed this campaign so far and only played the missions that were addressed for bugs. But i still remember about all the Lucifer things you are talking about. Well, at least i have already thought about "how to destroy a Lucifer in five different ways" thing to change the course of the missions.
But actually i came to the question, if you need five Lucifers at all in Chapter 3... i came to belief, that two or three could also be sufficent for this plot already. The previously two Lucifer destroying missions could be used for slightly changed filler missions instead which should loose up things, especially that you only have three missions then, where you have to destroy a Lucifer. And it should not be a problem to create missions, where you manage the destruction of the Lucifer in different ways.

I think it will take some time before i will reach these missions. Until then i will have new ideas for that, for sure.

It would be indeed awesome if the modders who have taken ownership on this mod today will continue finalizing the Beta - It looks really great, just few typos I sometimes note :D. Again, really much appreciate the effort put into this.

Yes, the translation could be better in some missions, but i am not an english native speaker as well. So i will be able to correct only the most obvious spelling and grammar errors, because i have check all texts anyway for the inclusion of the original german text aswell. And that one also has some strange grammar in most of the campaigns (which will actually combined into one campaign file for the full rerelease)... but well, it is just like that how someone would write if s/he is still a Teenager ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 06:18:19 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

HI I AM using the knossos and i want to play the first chapter but in the campain its only chapter 2 and 3 and final were chapter one

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Because this campaign has three chapters only and you have three campaigns.. i would say, if Chapter 2 is Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 is Chapter 3... you do not have many options left to find out, which is Chapter 1  :D
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Novachen, I am afraid that you might be right.

I'm going back to work on it shortly.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Novachen, I am afraid that you might be right.

What do you mean?  :confused:

Wait... what?

The main reason i got dragged into this is, that you and woutersmits were unable to release a version that does not crash with 3.8.0 builds, which was the main purpose of this initial release (thread) at all... and i am not talking about the bugs, that made it impossible to solve several missions in it. I still do not have an idea what both of you were working on here actually :D.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:27:11 am by Novachen »

What about fixing Shattered Stars to minimum playability instead, especially if there's a competent person working on this here?

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
I have to annouce, that i will take the current version down during the next couple of days.

The reason is, that this "rereleased" mod is still in very bad shape and never came to its full glory as i released only hotfixes to ensure, that this mod is playable at all.
I actually have much better quality standards to any of my releases than this mess.

It was online in this state for way too long. So download it and even reupload it if you wish. But i do not want to be responsible for a release like this.

I know that there are people who are extremely critical of my releases and are even very mad about them. I never intended to harm someone with them, i only tried to improve the gaming experience.
But well, in this case, i can not fulfill my own claim for a properly working bugfreed release, that was atleast playthroughed by me once. And because this one is in Beta since two years, I'm gonna take that offline for now.

My life has been derailed due to a tragedy during the pandemic and so i did not had any motivation to work on it during the last couple of months. Even before the pandemic i pushed this in front of me for many months.
So a real "remake" with an own Andro-Terran Fleet and new GTVA stuff and also new or heavenly changed missions will not happen anytime soon anyway. Atleast by myself.

But i still want to finish a multi-language (EN/DE) release with bugfixed and properly working missions however. :).
Even the "properly working missions" is sometimes already a task of rebuilding due to the chaotic SEXP-Chains.

But even that will not likely happen in 2020  :(.
Freespace does not have a very high priority right now, but i still do smaller things and still hope to launch another phase of my localization efforts until the end of this horror year.

My goal is to rerelease a better version of this in late 2021... unless someone is faster.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:53:23 pm by Novachen »

Well I think it'd be more helpful to have this version available, even if there are known issues in it; atleast I've heard several complains that LCW and VeniceMirror were entirely unavailable on Knossos. If you don't like the idea that you're being associated with any kind of bugs (which are actually the original devs fault anyway) you can remove your username from the version number and leave a sentencelong statement in the mod description, that should be enough.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Well I think it'd be more helpful to have this version available, even if there are known issues in it; atleast I've heard several complains that LCW and VeniceMirror were entirely unavailable on Knossos.

Mh? They should be available? I disabled them only temporarily sometime ago out of protest. It was in 2019(?), i think (maybe it was even 2018). But after that, i reactivated them.

Only mods i really took down were my old german translations due they did not work on Knossos how i had in mind. And shortly after that i brought that whole translation project back to the drawing board.
Other releases were only took down by request of the original developer, which is only Storm Front right now. But that will come back after i have finished the next update.

If you don't like the idea that you're being associated with any kind of bugs (which are actually the original devs fault anyway) you can remove your username from the version number and leave a sentencelong statement in the mod description, that should be enough.

Well, i do not like that idea. Because after that i would still feeling responsible for the release and after i got a bug report in this thread there would be the inner demand to take care of it... that wouldn't be as effective.
I still prefer to put this release on hold completely  :doubt:

The problem is that having a version that might be optimized but frequently disappears is bad as you neither have this one nor would somebody upload the original version as the updated one might resurface any time. In case of LCW there are now 2 mods and VM is missing entirely, according to this list ( https://fsnebula.org/mods ).

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
The problem is that having a version that might be optimized but frequently disappears is bad as you neither have this one nor would somebody upload the original version as the updated one might resurface any time. In case of LCW there are now 2 mods and VM is missing entirely, according to this list ( https://fsnebula.org/mods ).

Revenge is not very optimized at all. That is the main problem and that is the reason why i want to take it down.

Well, this list was never fully reliable, at least back then.
For a long time i could download Relentless, even that did not showed up on that list.
Now it does.. but for example Deep Blood is still missing, but i can download it via Knossos itself.  :confused:

VeniceMirror should be still there.

I never changed a thing about the visibility after the temporary shutdown. And back then, there was definitely only one LCW available. No clue what happened in the mean time, as LCW is one of the regular maintained releases as it got update for MVP4.1 aswell 4.3, too. Most other releases still have only a MVP 4.0 or even a 3.8 version. VM is one of these examples. Its last update was as MVP 3.8 were released.

Revenge was also not very maintained. BETA8 is also only a 3.8 MVP campaign.

Spoiler:
I do not have a problem with transparency. Let's check out all mods from my developer tab that should be online in one way or another.

2335: Nova - Extended Playable Prototype - Private, but online for selected users who asked me about it after my YouTube video, as a public release is planned at least.
2367: Supernova BETA - Private, but online for selected users as this one is still in closed development.
Das Gizeh-Projekt - Online
The Deuterium Connection - Online
Dimensional Eclipse - Online, but i only uploaded it. Original Developers have full control of it, now.
FreiRaum: FreeSpace 2 - Online. The old Pre-Alpha 2 is still online, as this one only ensures, that Retail FS2 can properly be played in German.
Friends and Foes: Retribution - Online. Only uploaded it and made the first updates. But since a few months i gave the full control to other Community members who asked me about that. That was shortly after the tradegy in my personal life happened.
Into the Halls of Valhalla - Online.
Luyten Civil War - Online and updated recently.
Mantle - Online, but i only uploaded it. Original Developer has full control of it, now.
Out of the Shadow: Nova Safiya Edition - Online, even it is one of the other releases i maybe shut down or set on private at least. The open development never paid off. It is still incomplete, WIP and also there were very limited developing progress over the course of the year as i never fully decided if this want to be a 2335: Nova or a What If like Freespace campaign.
Renegade Resurgence - Online.
Revenge: Final Conflict - Online.
Rogues! - Online.
Shadow Genesis - Online and updated recently.
Storm Front: Classic Saga Remastered - Still offline. But is being prepared for a rerelease.
VeniceMirror - Online.
A Walk in the Sun - Online.
What If: Another Great War - Classic Remastered - Online, reuploaded recently.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 04:41:05 am by Novachen »