Author Topic: Welcome, MechCommander  (Read 8954 times)

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
My biggest problem with MC1(Gold): Weird, weird fog of war system. You're telling me that as long as I've visited a location once, I get to see everything that goes on there, forever? Also, you can't reveal any farther than short-medium range(unless you get up on a hill). There are sensors on every 'Mech, but you still can't designate targets until you can actually see them.

The more BT-like ammo limits on the (non-LBX)autocannons were also kind of annoying, especially without much limitation on energy weapons. Ten turns of AC20 fire will probably last most of a standard lance v. lance engagement in CBT, but goes a little too fast in most MC or MW games.

"" MC2: AI. Seemingly, unless units are guarding or following waypoints, they will forever attack the first target they see until it dies, to the exclusion of everything else. Sending a fast scout 'Mech to pop into enemy LOS, then drag them right through your main forces' guns is a virtually painless way to cheese 90% of the campaign.

Even if you don't try to exploit they system, it's pretty ridiculous that the AI won't pay any attention to the pair of Hunchbacks that just jumped in behind its units and is now ripping them apart. MC1 AI units did very much respond to newcomers closing and firing on them.

The loss of ability to purchase/deploy major combat vehicles was kind of sad, too(Alacorns! :lol:). Fixed artillery and Scout 'Copters with MGs don't count.

At any rate, any kind of development on MC2 is definitely welcome news. :D

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Hm, hard to tell. To a certain degree, I also liked MC 2 more than MC1, but mostly because it has an editor and I could play in more than 1024 resolution. Besides that, it was ok, but it didn't get me as exited as once MC 1 did. It had better story (taking place in OP Bulldog), and the missions somehow even "looked" better, though it was only 640 resolution, and had a few nice animations. (I remember the cool breaking down building probs :) ) MC2 missions and engine always were quite ugly and lowres, sort of like mission areas in MW4. And that I bought the german version, sucked twice as much :) The mechs and vehicles didn't blew me away either. It's now better because there are so many more models available right now.

Unfortunately I never could play the MC1 addon, it wasn't published in Germany. But one of my team mates wants to rebuild both MC1 campaigns, so with a little patient....... :)

First of all: Welcome, MC over... Warlords!

Regarding the MC1 addon:

I bought the MW3/ MC1 combo on Kaufhof years back and later ordered a US copy of MW3/ MC1+addon for 50 DM.
It was totally overpriced, considering that i payed for the former only 15DM.
But i have to say, it's awesome!!
The difficulty level is higher, but it's more satisfying. One mission in particular is a serious PITA, a mission where you have to attack a base guarded by heavy weaponry ( long Toms and similar ).

If you get the chance, buy the MC1 pack / addon.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Oh well, look at that!
Our first non-fs mod hosted, welcome guys to HLP community  :yes:

Nuh uh, that was back with Independence War. :p

*is old*

Still, welcome to the community. :)

I can't wait to see what comes out of this!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
One mission in particular is a serious PITA, a mission where you have to attack a base guarded by heavy weaponry ( long Toms and similar ).

There are a few of those, but most of them are actually quite manageable. If it's the HPG mission, just remember: the generators are outside the walls. If it's Base Ogre, you can pick off the turret controls from outside the range of the turrets, or rush a Cougar in to turn them on those pesky Hunchies.

Mind you, I have the strategy guide. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Its been quite some time since I played both games and from what I remember...I prefered MC1.
The missions where much more interesting to me. My favorite was pretty much at the beginning where you have just a bunch of light Mechs and can fight a MadCat. I can't remember how often I restarted the mission just to get the MadCat as intact as possible.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Its been quite some time since I played both games and from what I remember...I prefered MC1.
The missions where much more interesting to me. My favorite was pretty much at the beginning where you have just a bunch of light Mechs and can fight a MadCat. I can't remember how often I restarted the mission just to get the MadCat as intact as possible.

that's a "relatively" easy one. Just lure the Mad Cat near the gas tanks, make sure it's at the outer range, then blow them up.

Quote from:  NGTM-1R
Quote from: Angelus on 06-12-2010, 22:54:51
One mission in particular is a serious PITA, a mission where you have to attack a base guarded by heavy weaponry ( long Toms and similar ).

There are a few of those, but most of them are actually quite manageable. If it's the HPG mission, just remember: the generators are outside the walls. If it's Base Ogre, you can pick off the turret controls from outside the range of the turrets, or rush a Cougar in to turn them on those pesky Hunchies.

Mind you, I have the strategy guide.

Never bothered to aquire the Strategy guide, as i mostly managed to finish most missions on the first run, except those with the long range Base defense, which shredded my light lance within seconds. But then i changed tactics from "use light lance as combat unit" to "use light mechs as distraction".

Offline Karl

for those who want to know (or who care) I am the one (unless Starman knows of someone else) who is doing the MC1 redux for MC2, I have most of the first operation complete, luckly the MC1 maps are 60 quads by 60 quads and MC2 offers a 120 by 120 triangle map size so its been an easy conversion of the maps with the exception the roads (Roads in MC2 can only run north/south and east/west but the orthographic perspective of MC1 means that all roads (or at least the vast majority) run diagionally, so hopefully we can fix that by increasing the base texture resolution and just having the roads painted directly)

I will complete the missions once some of the code changes have been done because there are some issues regarding the number of polys on screen, the dense and extensive forests of MC1 cant be reproduced in vanilla MC2

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Couldn't you just rotate the perspective of the MC1 mission by 45 degrees for the transfer?  Then all roads would be East/West/North/South.  All the buildings in MC2 can rotate AFAIK, so you can just adjust from there.

Offline Arcalane

• Wait, I'm supposed to use evasive maneuvers?
    • Wyrdysm Games Forums

that's a "relatively" easy one. Just lure the Mad Cat near the gas tanks, make sure it's at the outer range, then blow them up.

Oh jeez, I remember one time that happened and I got the luckiest airstrike you would not believe if you saw it with your own eyes. The strike hit the gas tanks, which blew up and nuked only the Cockpit. The entire rest of the 'Cat wasn't touched in the slightest. So not only did I have a Mad Cat, but I had an intact, fully-armed and fully-capable Mad Cat.
Don't think, Mechwarrior. Find out.

Offline Karl

Rotating 45 has the effect of also cutting off the top left and bottom right corners of the map, I have experimented with it but for missions where there are areas of interest in the corners of the map its not really acceptable (If someone can implement a larger mission size (Wolfman is looking at implementing a 200*200 size) you could rotate plan the map in a 120*120 space within the 200*200 boundary and "fill in" the rest)

There is a mission in operation 3 I think of MC1 where you have to extract at the top of the hill at the opposite end of the map, at the top of the hill is a madcat W and some bulldogs plus a hunchback IIC (from memory), I use to use the camera prob to see the madcat and the a well placed large air-strike with a small air strike on top at the tip of the cockpit would regularly result in a fully salvaged madcat W

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Rotating 45 has the effect of also cutting off the top left and bottom right corners of the map,

If you're porting the campaign missions over, just make the map a little bit taller than it is wide (if you can, never really messed around with the editor and I don't have it on this comp) and fill the bits that don't normally exist with random filler stuff.

Already covered.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Uh, guys. They're artillery. Clans get airstrikes. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I'll be eagerly awaiting this. I knew there was a reason to keep my MC2 discs around!
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I can hardly wait myself :) Though you will not need your disks anymore :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.