Author Topic: Our first News Posting  (Read 6944 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Our first News Posting
But the most iconic features of the Champion are still there. The unique shape of the torso (like the front of a jet-fighter) and the wings. If it would look exactly like the original, why bother making it in the first place?

That looks far more like tinyMarauder than it does any sort of Champion, man. The wings have been nearly deleted, the torso is in no way aircraft-shaped unless your aircraft is a very overfed Concorde.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Awesome. Just wanted to say I've always loved commanding little mechs around in MC2, sure the gameplay and graphics have always been a bit simplified by it flows very well.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

I need to know how to make these mechs look MC2-ish. Anybody here have some sort of "tutorial"? Don't give that kind of "hey, here's a tutorial, change the whole thing!" I'm only going to make the wings a bit wider and change the legs.   

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
What exactly do you mean with "making them MC2 ish ?" Despite the fact, that the original MC2 mechs were quite low on polygons, they are very close to the canon design, and to be honest, I do not really want any "made up" stuff in there also, no offend :) Besides that, the original texture were RGB coded. Karl can tell you more how to create those type of texturemaps. I don't think that there is already some sort of tutorial, except the text that magic posted over at DSC

If you aim for the champion mech, well, if you build the mech for the retail game, you should keep it below 1500 polies. We aim for something around 3K for mechs in the new engine, once it will be functionial. So if you stay close to the original maybe you already want to build it with a little more detail (though I have learned, that you can create reallly good looking mechs with around 2500 polygons)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

I'm already making the origional Champion. The thing is, I can't calculate how many polys i alredy have. I'm using Blender 2.56 and i can't afford any expensive 3D modeling programs like 3DS Max.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
If you wish, you can upload your model, and I check it. Or you get yourself the 3D explorer, you can view quite a lot of formates with it, and it also tells you the polycount. Despite that, you can use it to transform some file types :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.