Author Topic: Help with .csv editing  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Cipher

• Target verified, commencing hostilities!
Help with .csv editing
well, i was editing the direwolf csv to add a favorite (canon) variant of mine, and after i finished and went to solo mission to make sure it works, this happened.

so, now i'm looking through the csv to find what i did wrong, and because i'm not really experienced in this, i'm totally stumped

p.s. i edited it with ms excel 03, and i'll put it here to see if someone could try and help me

[attachment deleted by ninja]
What sad world do we live in, where we turn a serious post about a threatening virus into a free-for-all lol pic convention?

Re: Help with .csv editing
First mistake, using Excel or some  other DB type program to edit.  Made that one myself.     :confused:

Your best bet is to use NotePad.  You can change the values between the commas without losing any.

Just from looking at the first few lines I see missing commas at the end of the line.  The code expects them to be there, and if not, will throw off positions for other values in the data.

Go to my web site.   http://members.cox.net/morkover/

Download the CSV Weapons coding file, it's in Rich Text Format.  It explains how to make what changes you want.  Plus a little hysterical background on the files.  :nod:
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, profundum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin appears profound)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
There is also a tool available to edit csv files, but having the same good look as excel. It's called "CSVed". However, while it supports a good and organized view, I find it quite unhandy in editing. You can try, but your best bet is as TheOldman said, using notepad. In time you get used where each value is stored
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Isn't a csv just a file of Comma Separated Values?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yep.

But Excel is messing it up when you try to save it :(
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Cipher

• Target verified, commencing hostilities!
i've done it before (2 other times), but for some reason it's always the direwolf that i mess up :lol:
What sad world do we live in, where we turn a serious post about a threatening virus into a free-for-all lol pic convention?

Hi "TheOldMan",

I went to your site to download the CSV Weapons Coding document and got a "File Not Found Message".  Please help.

Can't upload .RTF as attachment.  So, I ZIPped it.

or

Try :http://cid-15efb07473c65248.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents/CSV%20Weapons%20Codng.rtf

Name messed up on server.  Trying to update.   :banghead:

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Web Site should be working now.  Damn server! :mad:
First it doesn't like spaces in file names, then it doesn't like Upper/Lower case mismatch.  :confused:
Now I can't even delete the file with spaces in the name!  :banghead:
It's now 9:45 am Sunday. I'm going to bed.  :mad:

Thanks "OldMan"!!   Now my question to you is how did Wolfman, Magic et al manage to put an entirely NEW weapon into the game and have a description of it show up.  The reason I ask this is that the compbas.csv file that comes with the Omnitech download does not have the RAC2 or the RAC5.  When I took the data from Wolfman and tried to make an entry into the OT compbas.csv file, the gun shows up in the game, but the description is "undefined".  Your thoughts/comments??

Tried the same thing myself.  Just so I could use a Rail Gun.
I'm pretty sure, just like many other things in the game. that they are hard coded in the source somewhere.

It might take a while, but check out Wolfman's Forum and Dropship Command Forum.  I remember seeing a discussion thread somewhere that talks about Weapons Upgrades to the game, and compbas.csv.

Thanks "OM" for the quick follow-up.  Will do; will report back if I come up with anything.