Author Topic: NEWS : Our second Alphabuild Release, Vers. 0.66  (Read 15156 times)

Offline Patriot

Re: NEWS : Our second Alphabuild Release, Vers. 0.66
I actually found a nice few .fit files that have a list of components in them

called purchase - original mechs, expansion mechs and so forth

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yep, that's the one. Best would be "purchase_All".Fit, but I think it's also missing a few of the very new mechs.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Patriot

indeed, that list stops at Mech93, so 94 mechs in all.

Also, trying to give myself an extra mech(in the savegame's .fit file through [InventoryX])

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Also, trying to give myself an extra mech(in the savegame's .fit file through [InventoryX])
To add a 'Mech to your inventory:
[General]
l InventoryCount = 15
Add 1 to your current InventoryCount. If you fail to do this, the game will simply ignore any added Mechs beyond that number.

And then add something like this:
[Inventory11]
st Chassis = "data\objects\bloodkite.csv"
st Variant = "Blood Kite Prime"
b Designer = TRUE
toward the end, just after the other 'Mechs. Obviously, the Inventory number should be one higher than the previous 'Mech.

IS Mechs, though, make this slightly harder. Anything you can find on the Mech page of the in-game Encyclopedia should be able to be obtained by calling the st Variant "x Prime"(pay close attention to spelling and spaces in the Mech's name, or lack thereof; the "Mad Cat MkII Prime" for example), but many of the IS Mechs have specific named Variants(check the Vehicle page for some), and you'll have to enter the proper Variant name instead of just 'Prime' ("Awesome AWS-9").

Offline Patriot

I actually looked in the mech's own .csv files to see what variants it had and which one i wanted of course xD

Now about weapons, since i haven't tried it yet, is there a Component Count of sorts?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Not that I know. To be honest, it has been years since i played with the csv files, but afaik as long as you don't do something that is incompatible with the X,Y values of the logistic slots, it would be fine. If you place something in there, that has no room, it either does skip the weapon, or more logically, it will crash the game :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Patriot

In the csv files i've noticed that, regardless of where you put the weapon, weapons are fired from pre-determined positions on a mech(arms, torsos)

Changing these won't really harm the game would they?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Nope. But I meant you cannot put 4 large AC's into a mech that has a logistic capacity from 3x4 field, that will most seriously result into a crash
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Patriot

Yeah, i got that :)

By adding weapons i actually meant for in me inventory so i don't have to screw around with what is going to be in the store.

Also, is there anything you can show me as to how the new logistics is going to work or look like?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
It's still in early Development, but it will be similar to the way it worked in MW4. Also we plan to add more inventory to increase the micromanagement part for your force. But I will not spoil any details right now :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Patriot

Ah, that is good news(remember that quote? :P)

I'm loving this project - kudos to all involved. MC2 was one of my alltime favourite games and you folks have breathed new life into it.

Sir, I salute you.

Offline Karl

@Patriot

How the weapon animations work is like this...
when the model is created there are these non mesh elements added called helpers, they are placed at each weapon location and have a unique name. In the mech.ini file these helper objects are linked to a weapon type(s) that can fire from this location, e.g. madcat has 5 "weapon nodes" (actually this is true for all original MC2 mechs, the most I have put on a MCO mech I think is 8-10ish from memory) left/right arm (one each) left/right torso (one each, corresponds to the missile pods) and center torso (just one here), in the ini file the torso weapon nodes are allocated a weapon type value of 5 which means missile weapons only, while left/right arm as assigned the value 5 which means any direct fire weapon (basically anything thats a not missile) and torso is assigned the value of 2 which is ballistic weapons only.

So!
If you add a non missile weapon to the left/right torso in mech.csv the same will still allocate its animation to either the left/right arm or center torso. Similarly you will NEVER EVER!!! get a non missile weapon firing from the missile pods (remember they are left and right torso) no matter how many weapons you cram into the left and right torso entries in the mech.csv.

I have never bothered to test so I am not sure if when a mech part is destroyed if the game looks a the mech.csv or where it has allocated the weapon animations to in deciding what weapons are destroyed (e.g for the madcat if an AC is placed in the right torso of the mech.csv I am not sure if the AC dies when the right missile pod is destroyed or if the left arm to which the weapons fire animation is allocated to dies)

Offline Timerlane

I decided to go through all the main Carver 5 Purchase files and edited them to add multiple items for purchase.

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I renamed the last purchase file to an earlier mission, and everything seemed to come up fine.

Put these .FITs in the data\missions folder, overwriting the files already in there. Also included is a backup folder of the original missions, so one can easily restore if things aren't working right.

As a general rule, I gave two of all 2-block(or larger) weapons and four of most 1-block weapons for the first few missions, and then stepped it up to four and six, respectively. I gave 8 Swarm LRM racks on the bonus file, since very few designs mount them to begin with, and they'd be relatively hard to get elsewhere.

I've also worked on the purchase.fit file(not included), which would add stuff for Solo Mission play, but either I messed up somewhere, or there's some sort of hard display limit I've bumped into(over 300 items, not all of which are showing up).

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Patriot

This might sound a bit silly, but who in their right mind uses Swarm LRMs? xD

Offline Timerlane

Bored people? :lol:

I used to rely on them mounted on a pair of Catapults for one mission(indirect fire from behind a wall, using a turret tower for LoS/spotting), but later switched to a pair of regularly-armed Highlanders.

Swarm LRM's are the bane of my existence. They either kill my Mech's horribly or break the game when the enemy uses them, or break the game when I use them. They are evil, and must be punished.

Offline Karl

Yeah I think they are crap too but I guess the were included so that later in the MC2 campaign people would still have to deploy light/med mechs to take out Swarm launchers before they munched the slower heavy and assault mechs

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I never liked them. I don't know all BT Canon stuff, but the only Area-Effect weapon I know of , is artillery based. That's why I created the Arrow IV turret, and also a mobile variant. Because this one is mentioned quite often.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Timerlane

Swarm LRMs are supposed to make a second attempt at hitting nearby targets if they miss(unfortunately, the original version has no IFF discrimination, so friendly units in the vicinity can also be at risk). Probably a little complex/unnecessary to program as written.

Back to the game: Thinking about it, they really are for the computer, rather than the player.

They definitely do discourage sending formations of slow 'Mechs into their vicinity, but I probably wouldn't fret about sending a lone 4/6(64kph) Mech to deal with 1-2 Swarm LRM trucks, provided I can run right at them; also, 'Mechs in mid-jump can't be hit, much as they do no damage to helicopters.

The one perk is that, AFAIK, gunnery skill doesn't matter at all, since it's purely an AoE weapon, and thus none of the ammo fired 'misses', at least not in the same way other weapons work; every Swarm LRM detonates on the ground where the target was at the moment of launch, and thus can potentially do damage, but whether anything is actually there when it arrives is another matter.