Author Topic: BtA Bug Report Thread  (Read 79178 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
BtA Bug Report Thread
Report your bugs and issues here! I'll do my best to fix them quickly.  :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Re: BtA Bug Report Thread
Have just reached the start of the mission (see spoiler)...
Spoiler:
'Camp Angel'
. Immensely impressed with it so far! :yes:.

Did find a couple of things in what I've played so far but only one potentially game-breaking (it didn't repeat when I did the mission again). Will put parts in spoilers to prevent leaking mission names or mission info;

Am playing on easy difficulty and running the 24th October Nightly.

In general:
  • Had many situations where enemy fighters randomly fly off into the unknown (seem to recall someone mentioning this in another topic a few weeks ago, so might not be BTA).
    Spoiler:
    I recall one of them had a battlesnail following it so not sure if that's part of the cause?
  • The following ships lacked a tech description though they appear in the tech room;
    Spoiler:
    Naeros, Exos, Acheron, Neta, Aurland

Spoiler:
Mission 'Act of Volition':
  • - I had a bug that meant the mission stopped progressing; it seemed to be the event that has the Intrepid saying the flight deck is now clear never triggered (the cruisers jumped out and we took out all the fighters, then nothing). It did when I re-did the end of the mission though.
  • - One of the freighters, the Beset IIRC, got disabled during the mission. It didn't affect my play through (does it not matter for the mission?) but thought I'd note it just in case.
  • - It may just be me being a crud pilot, but the barracudas in this mission seemed extremely hard to hit; I was unloading flails and avengers like a maniac (even firing missiles at them) and none of them seemed to take hits. Is it just me?

Spoiler:
Mission'Hammer's edict':
  • On my first try my ship got destroyed and I had a ctd with the following error message flashing up a couple of times. Did not stop the game from continuing though;
Code: [Select]
Could not find index 'Target' in type 'object'

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:

stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[string "shipsaveload-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:223: in function 'cpsp'
[string "?"]:1: in main chunk

1: Userdata [object]
2: String [Target]
    Spoiler:
    Mission 'Camp Angel':
    • In the briefing, the model of the Camp Angel says 'Diorama - Camp Angel' as it's class name. Doesn't break the game or anything but thought I'd pass on.

These don't change that fact that is an awesome campaign though. Superbly designed missions and a well thought out storyline to go with it. :yes:[/list]
    « Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 04:31:26 pm by T-Man »
    Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
    • Chopped liver
      • Steam
      • Twitter
    T-Man are you running 3.7.4 for 3.7.5?

Offline T-Man

T-Man are you running 3.7.4 for 3.7.5?

3.7.5. The fs2_open_3_7_5_20161024_c930d1a_x64_SSE2 nightly build.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
    Can you retest with 3.7.4, that's the version that BtA is supporting.
    Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
    ----
    Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
    ----
    m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline T-Man

Will do ASAP. Apologies I missed that note on the release page.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
      • Steam
    SO. MUCH. AWESOME! Except:

1: the HUD does not scale when I set $HUD scaling: to Yes , and with my 1920 x 1080 resolution it is very game-brakingly hard to read anything on the HUD or use the targeting reticle. have you checked to make sure that all the different HUDs scale properly?

2: as said, many things in the Techroom are description-less. / have late-FS2 or other mod descriptions with them.

3: the new Hippocrates model is not used, not impotent, but, still.

sorry for nitpicks,
    « Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 05:43:37 pm by DefCynodont119 »
    My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
    • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
    I feel like ships haring off into nowhere might be some kind of engine bug...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
    yeah, I've seen a few other people report that issue (using nightlies) on IRC, a suitable repro case from a motivated person would be super helpful at tracking it down & squashing it
    Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
    ----
    Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
    ----
    m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
    Were the ships that were "haring of into nowhere" being ordered to enter a Canberra fighter bay?

I had a similar issue recently when I was working on my own mod.  Whenever I told a ship to enter the Canberra's bay, every once in a while it would go on a little sight seeing trip about 10Km behind it first, restricting the return path fixed it. I was going to but I forgot to tell BlackWolf about that. whoopees.

PS: The HUD is unusable without scaling for me, I don't want to be demanding but can you please look into this?
    « Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:40:18 pm by DefCynodont119 »
    My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
    • Chopped liver
      • Steam
      • Twitter
    Can I see a screenshot of your HUD, because I play on 1920x1080 and it's quite usable without altering anything from the mod.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
    Can I see a screenshot of your HUD, because I play on 1920x1080 and it's quite usable without altering anything from the mod.

I am using 3.7.4 as recommended.

1st Attachment: BtA HUD
    2nd Attachment: Unification war HUD with scaling on

[attachment deleted by admin]
    « Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:22:17 pm by DefCynodont119 »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
    • Chopped liver
      • Steam
      • Twitter
    so what do you think is wrong with it?

I ran a test with $scale_gauges turned on and things more or less scaled correctly on all HUDs. The only issue was that some headanis become slightly too big and are overlapped by the message box. (Which is not something that can be easily fixed because that message box is not technically a HUD gauge and doesn't follow quite the same rules. I did set scaling to No for a reason. I am certainly willing to help you, but I need to get an understanding of what you think is game-breaking about the HUD when scaled or not scaled.
    « Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:24:25 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
    Sorry, I edited my previous post.

See the comparison in the two attachments: both the same type of HUD at the same res both with $Scale Gauges: on; but the BtA one is smaller for some reason.

I tried to mess with the scaling myself and BtA did not scale the HUD. The 1st image did not change with scaling on or off for me.

Getting the targeting reticle, radar, and everything other then the messages to be about the size in the 2nd image would be perfect, It's not so much that their "too small" It's that their "out of perception."

I hate to be a nitpicker and I get that "game-braking" is a bit exaggerated here, but not everyone has 20-20 vision, (I'm not gonna lie, I actually do have good eyesight, so this is more subjective but you get the point)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:46:46 pm by DefCynodont119 »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
    • Chopped liver
      • Steam
      • Twitter
    Well that's working exactly as intended. If you're talking about the messages, those are not run by the HUD system in FSO. Those are powered by a special script that Axem made and thus would not be affected by Scale Gauges. I'll have to discuss with Axem if there's an easy way to scale it in the script itself.

Otherwise, the rest of the HUD will scale. I just did so myself. It just won't look exactly the same as UWar because, while it uses the same elements, they have been modified.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
    darn, my edits keep getting ninja'ed.
    to prevent this from getting any longer can I just PM you?

both images are from different mods yes, but the point was that both of them had scaling on. so they should have been the same size, but are not. the Uwar shot was en example of what It should look like in terms of size

I feel like something was misunderstood- screen 0109 is from BtA, your mod. This is an image of a HUD with scaling on.

the other one, was from the Uwar, It also had scaling on. I used that image as an example of what it should look like and to show that scaling was not working in BtA. I used Uwar because It had more-or-less the same HUD elements.

I care not for the message gauge's scaling.

sorry language is hard.  :sigh:
    « Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:59:43 pm by DefCynodont119 »

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
    OKAY, UPDATE: I fiddled around and found that just adding a tbm with $Scale_Gauges does not work. It has to be in the full .tbl

I have to put in the entire HUD .tbl and change the line for the game to register the difference, I was seeing no change between scaling on vs off because the .tbm I made was wrong apparently.
    That's why we had trouble communicating, We saw different things.

It looks like something about the gauges only lets scaling work if It's in the .tbl and not a .tbm, strange. at least It's working now.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
    • Chopped liver
      • Steam
      • Twitter
    That was going to be my next question. I'm glad you got it figured out. :)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
      • Twitter
    It looks like something about the gauges only lets scaling work if It's in the .tbl and not a .tbm, strange.
    That's not how tables work, but without knowing the exact contents of the TBM you tried to make, the exact filename you gave it, and which data folder you placed it in, I couldn't possibly tell you why it wasn't working before.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
    <MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
    (the very next day)
    <MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
    <MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
    <MageKing17> **** ME
    <MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
    <MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
    <MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
    <MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
    (...)
    <MageKing17> so
    <MageKing17> more than two hours
    <MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
    <MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
    * z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
    It looks like something about the gauges only lets scaling work if It's in the .tbl and not a .tbm, strange.
    That's not how tables work, but without knowing the exact contents of the TBM you tried to make, the exact filename you gave it, and which data folder you placed it in, I couldn't possibly tell you why it wasn't working before.
    I could have mistyped something, It's happened before.  :rolleyes: likewise I came back to this thread because I had yet another HUD issue:

EDIT: for posterity, this was the exact contents of the TBM:
    Code: [Select]
    ;General Shenanigans

$Scale Gauges: yes
    It was put in /BtA SOC/data/tables , It's name was mv_root-hdg and it was a TBM

The Mustang/Uwar HUD scales now, but the FS1 HUD does not and it's still distorted.

I can attach some images if you want.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:08:00 am by DefCynodont119 »