Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 306614 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Am waiting for one punchbag s2e9 to drop on that one website that you can watch them on.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Me too. The ending of ep8 was awesome. But I think it only airs next week, no episode this week. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Unfortunately no episode this week by the looks of it. I'm also waiting with bated breath.

Spoiler:
Suiryu's realisation that he needed heroes after all, was great. And Saitama's appearance gave me a "You're so ****ed now" moment that I desperately need to see resolved. But I still think my favourite moment of the season was when while hunting for a wig so that he can enter the martial arts tournament and learn how to beat Garou, Saitama stumbles across and defeats him without knowing it. I absolutely love that they didn't keep teasing us about whether Garou might actually be a challenge and just flat out showed us that he's no challenge at all.

Offline Luis Dias

Jesus Christ, OPM has fallen from a 9.5/10 anime to a 2.5/10 anime. I had never witnessed such a drop.

For all of you guys who are actually curious about the actual story, just read the manga, which at least has really goddamn good art, unlike the animated version. I couldn't facepalm any harder when they don't even bother to explain how Saitama just vanished in episode 8 from the stadium when the monsters arrive. It's so godawful it becomes somewhat interesting per se just for the cringe factor.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
EDIT: That earlier answer was needlessly harsh

To be honest, I really don't understand what the hell you're complaining about. The show makes it pretty clear why Saitama isn't there when the monsters turn up.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 06:23:56 am by karajorma »

Offline Luis Dias

huh you're right, I confused myself over that.

I hereby raise its score to 3/10, probably on par with Super then.

Just gave the new dub of Evangelion on Netflix a spin.  Only watched episode one so far.

Firstly, its the HD version.  There have been a few small alterations here and there (or my memory is starting to fade).  No edits, rather touch ups of existing material in places... Unit 01's eyes blinking out then back again and a slight upward scroll during the section where the coolant is drained out.

There's been some tinkering with the music as well, again most noticeable during the launch sequence.  Originally the music only started when Misato calls out to start launch sequence, now the music starts as soon as they begin the entry plug insertion like in Eva 1.11.  It's also a bit quieter now which is a shame as Eva 01's theme is one of my favourites... sigh.

The new dub?  Just in episode one?  Hearing new voices saying new words when I'm so used to hearing the old ones...  It's both odd and a little refreshing.  There seem to be little of the old embellishments that ADV added to their dub.  If you've watched the old dub as much as I have then you'll instantly pick out the differences.  It could be that they are trying to be a little more faithful, but I don't know how to speak Japanese, so what do I know?  (/me shrugs)

Going by the cast shown after the next ep preview, there seems to be mainly experienced VA's here, with only one or two showing up with Eva being their only work (according to the ANN encyclopedia).  As well known as the original dub is, I won't fault anybody who subconsciously adds some of the old performances to their own....  Especially Casey Mongillo's Shinji.  Like I said, it's only the first episode but I'm not disliking Ray Chase as Gendo.

Oh, and one last thing...
Spoiler:
By the looks of things, Netflix didn't want to pay the royalties...  So no more 'Fly me to the Moon'...  Eh...

Edit:  At epidsode 3 now...  Seems like Mr Mongillo knows how to scream good.  He's not doing a bad job so far of the part.  Also, Jonny Young (Mr Vash the Stampede) Bosch takes the role of Toji Suzuhara.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 06:58:21 pm by butter_pat_head »
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Just gave the new dub of Evangelion on Netflix a spin.  Only watched episode one so far.

Firstly, its the HD version.  There have been a few small alterations here and there (or my memory is starting to fade).  No edits, rather touch ups of existing material in places... Unit 01's eyes blinking out then back again and a slight upward scroll during the section where the coolant is drained out.

There's been some tinkering with the music as well, again most noticeable during the launch sequence.  Originally the music only started when Misato calls out to start launch sequence, now the music starts as soon as they begin the entry plug insertion like in Eva 1.11.  It's also a bit quieter now which is a shame as Eva 01's theme is one of my favourites... sigh.

The new dub?  Just in episode one?  Hearing new voices saying new words when I'm so used to hearing the old ones...  It's both odd and a little refreshing.  There seem to be little of the old embellishments that ADV added to their dub.  If you've watched the old dub as much as I have then you'll instantly pick out the differences.  It could be that they are trying to be a little more faithful, but I don't know how to speak Japanese, so what do I know?  (/me shrugs)

Going by the cast shown after the next ep preview, there seems to be mainly experienced VA's here, with only one or two showing up with Eva being their only work (according to the ANN encyclopedia).  As well known as the original dub is, I won't fault anybody who subconsciously adds some of the old performances to their own....  Especially Casey Mongillo's Shinji.  Like I said, it's only the first episode but I'm not disliking Ray Chase as Gendo.

Oh, and one last thing...
Spoiler:
By the looks of things, Netflix didn't want to pay the royalties...  So no more 'Fly me to the Moon'...  Eh...

They also redid the Italian dub and people are throwing a fit on Italian sci-fi Facebook groups so even I got wind of it even if I don't watch anime now (and even at the time MTV Italy wasn't available where I lived because small island), apparently the translator worked on Ghibli movies redubs and apparently is notorious to make everyone talk in a VERY old-fashioned or clunky way for the sake of a supposedly more faithful translation and while is always been thoroughly mocked for it he somehow managed to still work and apparently he got worse over the years.
Considering some choice quotes posted on social media it's more than understandable.
And the weird thing is that the dialogues on the Italian subtitles apparently are much more acceptable.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:21:26 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've heard that Netflix's subtitles pretty much massacred some pivotal lines between Shinji and Kaworu.  Honestly I don't give a **** about streaming, I just want a freaking Blu-ray release already.

Even if you got a Blu-ray set at an affordable cost over seas, knowing modern Gainax they'd have their own set of imperfections. But here's hoping.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

I still don't see what your problem with this season is. I'm absolutely loving the show. And episode 9 made me laugh so hard at one point that I had to stop the video for a minute until I was back in control.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've heard that Netflix's subtitles pretty much massacred some pivotal lines between Shinji and Kaworu.  Honestly I don't give a **** about streaming, I just want a freaking Blu-ray release already.
Keep in mind that the Italian dub straight up doesn't make sense most of the time, many are watching it in japanese with either Italian or English subs.
Imagine if the english dub was made with the Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe trope in full force with heavy doses of Delusions of Eloquence, that's what the Netflix Italian dub sounds like.

So you don't know how lucky you are.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 04:38:09 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

I still don't see what your problem with this season is. I'm absolutely loving the show. And episode 9 made me laugh so hard at one point that I had to stop the video for a minute until I was back in control.

The thing about the Sub/Dub is that they've changed the translations to a more meaning closer to the original work. But I do think it lost some of the charm of the original.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I finally finished Transformers: Robots in Disguise and my first impressions have been confirmed, I basically finished it only because it's not completely unwatchable but it's far from being good. The series is supposed to be a sequel to Transformers Prime but it does almost nothing with it and what little it does feels half-baked. Basically it's all uninteresting monster of the week stuff then one or two episodes when stuff happens then back to status quo. And even when they go into fanservice territory bringing back characters from Prime we get all the main ones minus Arcee for some reason, also they completely ignore Megatron's decision of disbanding the Decepticons at the end of Prime so we get hundreds of 'Cons around without really an explanation. And said Decepticons all have animal forms for some reason, was it because of some form of fantastic racism? Who knows? The series does nothing with it! They are just the bad guys who take turns at being the bad guy. The main arc of the Autobot government being corrupt? Some lip service here and there until the last two-three episodes.
Also supposedly Bumblebee was really friends with Raf (teary-eyed goodbye and so on) so why didn't he try to contact him, at least in one episode just to say hello? After all the band he became fan of while he was on Earth the first time is still performing so it's not that much of a time skip from Prime, right? NOPE.
But hey, the story editor of this thing is the one who killed off Nyssa Al Ghul whithin a few panels in the Robin series so he could make Batgirl Cassandra Cain the new leader of the League of Assassins so I guess it's just a coincidence. [Yes, I know I probably mentioned it before and I sound like a broken record but GODDAMIT, what were the editors thinking!?]

Amphibia is off to a good start at least. Is it me or Disney TV animators all have quite a dark sense of humor?

Good Omens has been a fun romp with Sheen and Tennant acting the **** out of every scene.

OK K.O. Let's Be Heroes is basically a fighting game or martial arts movie on acid, the owner of the shop is visibly a riff on Mayor Haggar from Final Fight for example. I don't like the art style and animation very much but I'll probably get used to it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:34:39 pm by Det. Bullock »

Offline Luis Dias

Appalling directing style, non-existent choreography, terrible framing, derivative and meaningless soundtrack, awful animation, all points that were just superb in the first season are now just horrible shenanigans.

I think the main reason why you don't see things the way I am seeing is that you're still interested and curious about the stories themselves, while I have been reading the manga ever since season 1 and so I already know what is happening and about to happen next. Without "looking forward to see what happens next", all I'm left with is execution. And boy, is the execution terrible. It looks like a fanfic of the original show.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
OK K.O. Let's Be Heroes
There is an episode about level grinding in JRPGs (or uses it as a metaphor, both work) and another where Cupid is Rated M for Manly to a comical level. I'm quite liking it thus far.

EDIT

Also Captain Planet returns! There is even the PSA at the end with everyone drawn in the old art style!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 02:34:24 pm by Det. Bullock »

Darling in the Franxx

I don't know it looked cool   :lol:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Binging my way through FMA:Brotherhood and its.... nearly over. Olivier Armstrong reminds me of a Corporal I knew once.  She was gorgeous!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've caught up with all the released episodes of OK K.O. Let's Be Heroes.
It's very much in the vein of early Adventure Time in many respects (deranged animation, heavy doses of slapstick, kiddy kid idiot hero protagonist and fondness for bizzarro episodes) but applied to a parody of Dragon Ball style anime, superheroes and beat 'em up/fighting games with heavy doses of meta references and humor. Another difference from AT is that it has a coherent story arc and narrative from the start and probably due to being directed at a younger target audience it doesn't do the spoof aesop thing early AT was very fond of doing. In that regard if anything it's a less tacked-on version of an 80s cartoon, and I think part of the overt nature of the aesops is due to nostalgia for that kind of shows and it usually works with at least one exception.
I don't like the art style too much, it's fine but very rough around the edges with a sometimes excessive use of off models for expressionistic purposes so if you didn't like that in Steven Universe beware because there is much more of that here.