Author Topic: UW Act I Demo Release  (Read 127120 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hm? I never got into MT, just sent them a sample mission and never got a reply...  (wonder why) :p

Yunnowhy?

Because I knew exactly what you did. You opened up sm1-01a.fsm from FreeSpace 1 and then altered it so it would work in FreeSpace 2. Then you added some stuff, changed it around a bit and thought that you could get away with it.

Well guess what? You didn't!! Ahahahaha!! I am so smrat!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
TVWP anti-fighter armament is relatively weak. Think of the difference between FS1 blob turrets and FS2 AAA beams. There's a similar technological gap here. Also remember that the Damocles is the oldest warship in the game. You don't get a chance to do so in this mod, but later you can make bombing runs on an Atropos (the Fenris-looking "frigate")... you'll notice the difference.

Regardless of weakness or not, it doesn't seem to make sense for it to be shooting itself more than the enemy.  That just seems absurd.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Well guess what? You didn't!! Ahahahaha!! I am so smrat!

IDK whether to just ROFL, or to ROFL and siggify that.

Regardless of weakness or not, it doesn't seem to make sense for it to be shooting itself more than the enemy.  That just seems absurd.

Yes, it's a problem that we've talked about on the internal. Just one of those hot potato things that noone's got around to. We figured that it wasn't much of a problem during the initial release as none of the missions make this bug too noticeable. But sharp eyes, Chief.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
IDK whether to just ROFL, or to ROFL and siggify that.

The misspelling was intentional.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
TVWP-missions and models fixed and reuploaded to solve Mustang texture issue and the shielded super fighter problem in mission 2.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Random note; TVWP capital ships have the same insane spin inducing engine wash thing going that some of the Inferno R1 ships did. Might want to look at the fighter moment of inertia stuff and the engine wash values.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

It's not a bug, it's a feature... TVWP era fighters are supposed to be very light, puny, and difficult to handle compared to later technology.

Actually, I never heard of the exact reason for this change, but I prefer it that way. Even with engine wash introduced in FreeSpace 2, it feels odd to be just slightly buffetted by those massive-looking engines. It should throw you around somewhat.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The problem is it can really, seriously screw with the player. I don't mind getting tossed around like all get out, but when you get caught in an engine wash that's turning you end for end every two seconds you're just ****ed. There has to be a way to make you shake without trapping you in a spin, which is its own form of silliness.

A Feddie Story

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It should flip you end over end like it does now unless you have a very firm hand on the stick and counter it, IMHO ;)  In which case you should be buffeted like an ultralight aircraft in a gale.

There's really no way to get out of the exhaust buffeting other than simply letting the stick go dead and let the ship pass you by. The idea is that you're not supposed to get in the exhaust in the first place.

There has to be a way to make you shake without trapping you in a spin, which is its own form of silliness.

I'm sure there is. Just like everything else has a mass value, the ammount of "whack" you get from thrust is determined by something similar. But I like it this way.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
There's really no way to get out of the exhaust buffeting other than simply letting the stick go dead and let the ship pass you by. The idea is that you're not supposed to get in the exhaust in the first place.

Hitting your burners normally gets you out fairly quickly, though doing it under normal power is an exercise in futility. Which is part of why this is A Bad Thing in TVWP; your burners don't recharge.

A Feddie Story

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Since when has it been necessary to fly in to huge engines. Common sense tells you that's a bad idea. Stay off the engine burn and you'll be fine. It's really that simple... :rolleyes:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I liked the engine wash ****ing you up.

Personally I would've preffered that and intense hull degradation, really punish people for flying near the stuff.

It would have made more sense if retail had it like that - I know I usually attack any big ship when I'm bombing from its engine side because there are usually no turrets or counter bomber mechanisms there which makes it easy to slip past a few cy's or helios'. I would have preferred it if the engines ripped you to pieces for trying to attack from there, and also nuke any incoming missiles coming from that direction.

I mean if you're losing hull, it should be damn sure the missiles lost theirs and pretty much disintegrated on their path if they were exposed to it enough.

But that's all... academic. The engine wash is great in TVWP IMO.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 08:53:10 am by BlackDove »

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
What?  New builds don't give warnings?  Dang, I guess that means I do have a problem with the tables I've been working on.  Thought it was just a problem with 3.6.9.
But as Taylor has pointed, newest XT debug builds don't give pop-up warnings yet, but you can see all of them in fs2_open.log. REALLY, REALLY handy.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If only windows had a function like tail for *nix...
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
 :jaw:

... ... ... ... ... ... ...
(Downloads files)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Gah, I never did post in here after playing through this.  I freakin' love this thing, guys.  Just like WCS and BTRL, you've managed to create a completely different combat feel that's a hell of a lot of fun.  The lack of sensors was a great call; for the first time, I felt like I had to seriously pay attention to everything that was going on.  The fishtailing style of flight was awesome, too; between that and the ballistic weapons, it had a very WWII-ish feel to it for some reason.  I'm digging the storyline and character work; I can't wait to see what you guys have lined up next. :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks for the comments. :)

Lightspeed spent a lot of time tweaking the flight characteristics of all the fighters and bombers, saying that people would appreciate the fresh approach to dogfighting.  And he was right. :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The thing is, it's not that fresh, and this a good thing. If you play Earth Defence or BtRL, it's totally different dynamics and it just doesn't feel like FreeSpace at all. Here you kind of skated the line, but it was still enough like Freespace that you could reasonably claim to be a FreeSpace mod instead of a TC.

A Feddie Story