Author Topic: Cat's ships weapons  (Read 7554 times)

Well there was some disagreement about some cat's fighters gun in wc3, and data provided in the net and in manuals is somehow erratic.

Now i have recently (few days ago) replayed Wc3, as i made KS version to run, and i've made some observations, and came out with this little list, that just might prove usefull,

STRAKHA has two meson and two lasers, im absolutly sure now

SORTHAK has SIX ion guns in the front (they may be reapers, but i'm pretty sure they are ions) and the same amount of mesons in the rear

the others are not controvertsial (i think) but i can post the whole list if you wish

« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 12:15:50 pm by Tolwyn »

:edit: thanks for correction
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 12:58:42 pm by Mancubus »

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga

Good to know this. I would have really angered me when I had to make that fighter with only 2 meson guns.

What's with your second post ?  :nervous:
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

i made a spelling mistake iin the thrad name and someone watching (ome mod probably) corrected it

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
yes, I am watching over everything :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

And hiding from pepople, like the big brother, i must add

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
This isn't Burger King.  You can't have it your way. :D

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Sure we can. Once we get ahold of the tables anyways. <,< >,>
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Well there was some disagreement about some cat's fighters gun in wc3, and data provided in the net and in manuals is somehow erratic.

Now i have recently (few days ago) replayed Wc3, as i made KS version to run, and i've made some observations, and came out with this little list, that just might prove usefull,

SORTHAK has SIX ion guns in the front (they may be reapers, but i'm pretty sure they are ions) and the same amount of mesons in the rear

the others are not controvertsial (i think) but i can post the whole list if you wish

Definately Reapers in the front.  The sound is the same as the Reaper and not like the Ion.  My guess is that they just use one entry for each weapon type Confed or otherwise.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline starlord

I agree, besides there fire rate is WAY too fast for ion guns: They must be reapers.

Definately Reapers in the front.  The sound is the same as the Reaper and not like the Ion.  My guess is that they just use one entry for each weapon type Confed or otherwise.

Hmmm thats odd. I thought the reaper was only found on the Excalibur and therefore a newly developed confederation weapon.
On a second note though I never really understood why origin chose the guns they did for the confed fighters; neutron guns, photon cannons and the ion gun? They were the most obsolete of the guns available. The kilrathi had the right idea using meson guns - very high damage: energy ratio although they did use ions as well. As for the ion gun why not just use partcile cannons? They do much more damage and use a lot less energy than the ion whilst the range and refire delay are almost equal.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I'd definately create a seperate set for Kilrathi weapons, having properties similar to the ones seen in the original in-game loadouts. (the manuals are inconsistent often with what's actually in-game)

So while the original might be a reaper cannon, the Kilrathi version has similar properties but a different effect and name that would fit with their technologies.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Hmmm thats odd. I thought the reaper was only found on the Excalibur and therefore a newly developed confederation weapon.
On a second note though I never really understood why origin chose the guns they did for the confed fighters; neutron guns, photon cannons and the ion gun? They were the most obsolete of the guns available. The kilrathi had the right idea using meson guns - very high damage: energy ratio although they did use ions as well. As for the ion gun why not just use partcile cannons? They do much more damage and use a lot less energy than the ion whilst the range and refire delay are almost equal.

One might also ask the same question about the US military, we still use the 5.56 mm round but its been proven that the 6.7 spc is many times more effective. Its simple there are enough 5.56 rounds in stock that changing would be too expensive. Maybe they had crates and crates of cannons coming out of their ears so they spent all their resources building ships and used weapons they had hanging about.

After all when playing WC3 most of the kills i racked up in that game I was flying an Arrow, one of weakest gun arrays in the game; but they were in a tight group so it was easy to punch holes in shields on the first pass, then you hit auto slide spin around and launch a FF missile to seal the deal. Its not a question of guns its tactics.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

This is where clinging to the games fictional canon and the actual in game content becomes problematic.  Its quite simple...the guys at Origin, when they put the ship together, probably felt that the forward guns were too weak being Ion cannons (for the intended effect) and felt that the Reaper cannon was the best solution.  Its just programming.  And since few even noticed this their mission was accomplished by achieving intended effect while maintaining other appearances.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

This is where clinging to the games fictional canon and the actual in game content becomes problematic.  Its quite simple...the guys at Origin, when they put the ship together, probably felt that the forward guns were too weak being Ion cannons (for the intended effect) and felt that the Reaper cannon was the best solution.  Its just programming.  And since few even noticed this their mission was accomplished by achieving intended effect while maintaining other appearances.

We have a winner! Playablility + Ability of engine > canon
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

After all when playing WC3 most of the kills i racked up in that game I was flying an Arrow, one of weakest gun arrays in the game; but they were in a tight group so it was easy to punch holes in shields on the first pass, then you hit auto slide spin around and launch a FF missile to seal the deal. Its not a question of guns its tactics.

Well that is true the arrow did rock and it was because of its awesome dog-fighting capabilities and the auto-slide which i confess that i have never actually used yet (cause my attempts at running WC3 on winXP are unsuccessful). The thunderbolt was great as well especially against corvettes - that was always the downside with the arrow). But anything except a hellcat - I really hate flying those and they truly suck in my opinion but on the whole even they are still more than a match for their kilrathi counterparts.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I like Hellcats. Probably one of the few people who does :D

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I also like the hellcat very much. It looks very good and is well balanced (could have a few more missiles though) :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I would prefere the Arrow or Thunderbold over the Hellcat. Normaly I prefer the well balanced designs but in this case I prefere the speed and agility of the Arrow or the raw power of the Thunderbold.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

I'd take a rapier 2 over a hellcat, but they no longer exist in wc3  :sigh:
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"