Author Topic: How to get joystick working??  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Jodet

How to get joystick working??
Ok, I've looked in the manual, and the readme.  I have a CH combatstick with X, Y, and Z axis.

I cannot for the life of me get this to work.  I go into the controls, select ship, select a function like, 'bank left' and hit bind, then move my joystick.  Nothing. 

It says x + y for pitch and banking, but that doesn't work.   Also, I see several selections for throttle, but don't know which one to pick.  And I've tried just picking one, but can't get the binding to work.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.   I wish there was a 'quick flight' so you could check your calibration rather than listening to the plot stuff and having someone else 'control your ship for now'.   

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Offline Jodet

Re: How to get joystick working??
Yes, the operating system sees my joystick, sorry, that's the first thing I should have mentioned.  It works fine in the XP control panel.

-M

In the launcher, joystick tab, your joystick should show up. If that's selected and doesn't work, you can try Force 0 or Force 1.

To developers: there's a typo in launcher 5.5a, it says "reslove" instead of "resolve".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 01:26:18 am by Huggybaby »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
To developers: there's a typo in launcher 5.5a, it says "reslove" instead of "resolve".
Thanks.  It will be fixed in the next release. :)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
What's wrong with reslove? :p
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Thanks.  It will be fixed in the next release. :)

Speaking of Typo's in the Launcher, on the Speech tab it say's "Get Aditional Voices" and it should read "Additional"
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

I too had a problem getting my joystick to work, and only got it to work via the 'Force 1' option in the launcher, despite the fact that my Logitech Windman Force 3D DID show up as an option. Everything seems to work using the 'Force 1' option, except the rudder control.

Other than that... GREAT FRIGGIN GAME!!   :D

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Something is a little fishy with the joystick selection. I have a USB Sidewinder  and a Standard gameport MS Force Feedback pro.

While I see both in the launcher, I have to select the sidewinder so that the force feedback will work :wtf:   But at least, it works :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

In Control Panel/Game Controllers/Advanced Settings, Select the device you want to use with older programs, which is your preferred device? Does changing it to the other controller make a difference?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Interesting, didn't new this setting even exist :) You can learn something new in windows each day :)
That really fixed the "problem".
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Raven15

Before anything else, thank you very much everyone for releasing the excellent prologue, and for putting many hours of blood, sweat, and tears into this thing.  Like others, I've been following you guys and the Saga project for many years now, and was extremely happy to see the release of the wonderful prologue.  The day the main Saga campaign is released - that will truely be a wonderful day for all of us.  Again, great job to everyone on the Saga team, and thank you for all your hard work!  :yes:

On the issue of game controllers - My joystick and I are separated for another week, until I get back to college.  In the meantime, I have only my mouse to guide me through space.  However, I can't get the mouse to work in the game at all.

I've tried every one of the Force settings, but there's no change.

It is something stupid that I'm missing, or is it intentional that you can't fly with the mouse?  It may sound stupid especially if others can use their mouse, but damn it, my wireless Logitech mouse just won't work.  It's even more upsetting to see that Mouse x and y axis seem to be labelled under the controls...  What's going on here?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Run the game and log in. Press F2. Turn on the mouse.

Bet you feel a little silly now :p

Actually quite a few people miss that one :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]