Author Topic: Let's talk about the sound code... again.  (Read 27781 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Let's talk about the sound code... again.
I know, I know. I've complained about the sound code so many times now. And I will probably keep doing so until something changes.

Right now the new sound code will do some absolutely horrible things with sound. If you let a wing of 6 fighters warp in close to the player, you had better cover your ears. Because it will not sound like 6 fighters warping in. It will sound like 6 banshee's wailing as they crawl their way out of the deepest pits of the abyss. Battuta actually had to move a wing of fighters away from the player's starting point in WiH R2 exactly because of that. It will absolutely demolish your ears.

Same goes for turrets on salvo mode. As clearly evident here: http://youtu.be/41l9wwBrxrs?hd=1 during the first few seconds you will hear a turret firing 4 shots at once. It's a horrible clipped bgggghhhzz kinda noise. Not pretty at all.

Now I won't claim I know anything about the code or sound terms. But I would really love to see for one of you awesome super cool coders to either make it so that once a sound plays more then once on the same frame it will only play one time. Or that it will simply not be amplified the way it gets now and causes that bad clipping.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Let's talk about the sound code... again.
I know it's dated now but my SB Audigy with Creative Inspire speakers cant cope with it so please can the code be tweaked to fix this if possible.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Same goes for basically any nebula with lightning.
It sounds ridiculous, it's almost completely unplayable, you really only have one option; turn the sound off and play without it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG9arxDnth4&lc=x4DnxsmXjbZxiwERXp81OIObn2e9dsii7V0kie8wW38&feature=inbox

T____________T
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I actually don't remember what the original lightning sounds like anymore...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We'll get back to you once we get someone who knows this stuff.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Well since the new soundcode (1 year ago or more) i eared problem with beam as well.
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Despair :(
Urutorahappī!!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
thats no good you most make an update
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Instead of asking/demanding an update... why not request info on what skills are needed in said person for the sound code...
then start looking around the net for one.

Complaining about the problem when there's no one to fill the need won't make him poof into existence here and fix it any sooner.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think MatthTheGeek was just joking around there.

Indeed he was :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Considering how big issues are presented by current sound code, it might be worth considering reverting taylor's soundcode back to what it used to be. You gain some, you lose some either way.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Considering how big issues are presented by current sound code, it might be worth considering reverting taylor's soundcode back to what it used to be. You gain some, you lose some either way.

I'd be on board with this. It sucks (both from a lose-features and a painful-to-do point of view) but I've had nothing but grief from the sound code ever since it got changed. I've been kicking myself ever since for not paying more attention to Antipodes and not squawking about the problem before it was too late.

I put up some fair resistance to it's addition to trunk before it went in... :<

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I put up some fair resistance to it's addition to trunk before it went in... :<

I remember that, actually.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I wouldn't mind reverting back to the old code.
Yes, on one hand its a shame. But considering the issues the new code has and the fact that nobody understands the code well enough to be able to support and fix these issues...

Also, I complained quite a while when it first went into the nightlies (mostly because how it utterly crapped up the sound on my old pc)
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Sobbsy

Could anyone kindly fill me in on what changed with the sound code (and/or what the supposed benefits were to be from switching to it over the old code?). Just curious.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
People complained about the old sound code, and now they're complaining about the new one.  Seriously guys. :p  Let's see if we can do some intentional debugging instead of standing around complaining.  Can someone go through the recent builds and find out when the particular problem appeared?  Start in six month increments and narrow it down.

Also, try running with the -no_3d_sound command line and see if it fixes anything.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Could anyone kindly fill me in on what changed with the sound code (and/or what the supposed benefits were to be from switching to it over the old code?). Just curious.
Basically the internals of the sound code were rewritten to make better use of OpenALs capabilities rather than the engine having to baby feed the sound code.  The three largest things, from *my* point of view, that were changed, was how the sound code detects sound cards and microphones, the really poor management of the sounds and (this is what is relevant to this discussion) enabling full 3d, multi-source audio.

The problem with the full 3d, multi-source audio is that, there is no cutoff on the volume and the number of sources in a certain point.  The old sound code, implicitly had them because the old sound code would only attempt to play so many sounds a time (the "baby feeding") so it didn't overload the sound cards of the day (afaict, the old sound code is from retail except for being ported to openAL), whereas the new sound code sends every single sound to openAL and lets it figure out what to do. The end result is things like a wing warping in results in 4-6 warp sounds played at the same time, which being an already loud sound results in the extreme clipping everyone is complaining about.

Unfortunately, though I think I know what the problem is, I am not familiar enough with OpenAL to know how to fix it, and I haven't had time look into it.

People complained about the old sound code, and now they're complaining about the new one.  Seriously guys. :p
Isn't that how it works... :P
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
People complained about the old sound code, and now they're complaining about the new one.  Seriously guys. :p  Let's see if we can do some intentional debugging instead of standing around complaining.  Can someone go through the recent builds and find out when the particular problem appeared?  Start in six month increments and narrow it down.

Also, try running with the -no_3d_sound command line and see if it fixes anything.
Durr? When did the problems occure? In the revision in which Taylor commited the sound code of course.  :blah:

Thing is, we've got this sound code that apparantly nobody really understand due to the lack of openal knoweldge. It has these really bad issues that several people have raised complaints about. And its not being supported. This last bit should be enough indication imo to just pull it.
The new code could be great with tweaking and fixing, but since that is apparantly not going to happen anytime soon...

Edit: also no, -no_3d_sound does nothing to fix the clipping.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:15:09 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!