Author Topic: 20041215 build  (Read 9904 times)

Offline Lynx

I tried a similar HUD_gauges configuration and it seems that it doesn't like the #custom gauges entry to be ontop of the list.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
Um... I get 'Out of memory' when I try the first mission of Desperation, and my joystick (X45) isn't recognised for some reason. Ok, ok, people shouldn't be using an X45 anywhere near FS2, but I'm too lazy to mess about with the Wingman Force 3D. :) A funny thing is that when I have my X45-profile enabled, it works (well... I can't STEER and I can't use the throttle, but OTHERWISE, it works :p ).

Now, I haven't had this issue with any other SCP .exe I've tried (I think I last tried some october/november-builds), drivers and RAM are the same. Any ideas?
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Silent Warrior
Um... I get 'Out of memory' when I try the first mission of Desperation

Does just just say "Out of memory" or is there more to it.  Try it with a debug build and see where it's getting this message from.  I assume it's coming from vm_malloc() but we need to know what's calling it if it is a code problem.  I'm not sure if Goober included a debug build or not but if not just use the one from the 3.6.5 beta.  If the 3.6.5 beta doesn't do it then we need to know that too.

I'm getting some odd error:

Okay, first of all I'm not sure how to implement this build. What I did was when I launched the "Launcher", I browsed and pick the fs2_open_r file. Anyway, then I get this problem:

FS2 caused an Access Violation in module FS2.EXE at 023f:004428e5.
Exception handler called in Freespace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 9/7/2004 00:08:36.
D:\INFERNO\FS2.EXE, run by Paul.
1 processor(s), type 586.
384 MBytes physical memory.
Read from location ffffffff caused an access violation.

Which is kinda wierd. I have "Inferno" installed in a directory called D:\INFERNO but the FSOpen and this executable are in another directory, D:\FREESPACEOPEN, so I dunno
       (I've also got two other installs, D:\FREESPACE2 (first install) and D:\FREESPACECAMPAIGN (my campaign stuff), not to mention D:\FREESPACE (:The Great War)).

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
*Phew!* This seems limited to Desperation, so I can play the rest reasonably well.
Right, here's the details.

Call stack:
neb2_level_init()      game_post_level_init()      game_start_mission()     game_enter_state()     gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()     gameseq_process_events()     WinMainSub()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll    7c816d4f()

Debug-spew loads a ton of anis, failing after time1. ( . . . wingman1 -> wingman2 -> wingman3 -> netlag1 -> head1 -> time1 -> HeapAlloc failed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
right...the laest build of FS2_Open seems to work fine for me..I ded get 2 freezes, but now it works OK..

As for the FRED..

I get several utterly stupid errors.

First, it often starts complaining about a shipname allready being used and that error window pops out. If I klick OK 8to revert to the old name) it does nothing. If I manually change hte ships name to something else, it's still reports is allready being used.
There's no way to get that window down without using ctrl+alt+delte to close FRED.

Second, in one mission I'm making it starts complaining about invalid orders for Beta or Gamma wings (when there ARE no orders at all)

Third, iin another mission it starts complaining about Beta 1 and Aplha 4 being player ships...the thing is - they are not player ships...

Fourth - I can't set the personas for ship.  So now I have a hoard of terrans on a vasudan destroyer flying vasudan fighters..AAARGH...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by TrashMan
Fourth - I can't set the personas for ship.  So now I have a hoard of terrans on a vasudan destroyer flying vasudan fighters..AAARGH...

Is this a problem with the 3.6.5 beta too?  The persona code was changed to allow for and unlimited number of personas but the code is this build is a little different that what's in the beta.  I just tried it with the beta and it gave me all of the personas in the list and I could assign them all so if it doesn't work for you please let me know.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
AS I recall, other FRED builds didn't have this problem
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline oohal

big problem weh using D3d with software it crashes with no error and i haven't been able to get anything out of debug i've done a full reinstall and it still crashes but works with openGL(very slow though)

using
HOTU version with the real VP files
TNT2 16MB ram

any suggestions?
I'm not a pirate i'm an unauthorized software distributer

Offline mitac

Originally posted by oohal

using
HOTU version with the real VP files
TNT2 16MB ram

any suggestions?

1. It may not be the only source for trouble, but I'm pretty sure it's a major reason : your graphics card is way too old, it does neither offer the features nor the speed to handle this.
2. :welcome:
marcet sine adversario virtus.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
It may just be software mode....... does that even still work with HTL?

Sorry to say, but a TNT2 just won't pull it. I know from experience. If you want FS2 for multi, grab the old engine client. (Sticky thread in the main SCP forum.). Otherwise, you might have to pay for a new graphics card.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline redmenace

also try the command line arg -nohtl
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline oohal

1. software mode is -nohtl
2. the offical builds work fine(except for a few random crashes, but i can live with that) i'm using that build so i can play STL

as for a new graphics card can't do much about that except for a newer TNT2 with 32MB of ram
I'm not a pirate i'm an unauthorized software distributer