Author Topic: Multiplayer Compatible Inferno Build  (Read 5193 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Multiplayer Compatible Inferno Build
Here's something I've been meaning to get around to for a while. I did a lot of the groundwork for this a long while ago but it's been languishing in the unstable branch (previously known as HEAD) since then. I figured it was time to brush the dust off and get things working.

This build is based on my branch and not trunk, therefore it has several features which you won't find in trunk until after 3.6.10 comes out. Use FRED with caution for that reason. Make sure you back up anything before using it unless you're just playing about with it.

*Other Features*
---------------

• Advanced Team Loadout Functions
  • Ability to play cutscenes before Fiction, Command Brief, Brief, Game Start and Debrief.
  • Ability to chat to team mates only in TvT games briefings using /f:
  • Various new SEXPs

The build will save the pilot file to Multi/Inferno instead of Multi so it shouldn't endanger your existing pilots. It can be tested by anyone but I especially need to hear back from people with tables beyond the FS2 limits (i.e +130 ships and +200 weapons). If anyone has over 256 weapon types I'd particularly like them to test as :v: had a habit of using bytes rather than shorts for the weapons indexes and those impose a limit on the number of weapons while inferno builds allow you up to 300 different weapon types.

If this stuff gets tested heavily I'll be adding the Inferno stuff to 3.6.10, otherwise it will only appear after the 3.6.10 release. You can find the build here.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:33:44 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Multiplayer Compatible Inferno Build
One thing I noticed with inferno builds is an inabilty to create the saves folder if they don't exist.  I should probably mantis it but I'm usually busy every time I run into it.  Is that still likely an issue?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well it created the folder for me. Maybe I got lucky. :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Who's going to test this one in Multiplayer? :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
 :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Ability to play cutscenes before Fiction, Command Brief, Brief, Game Start and Debrief.

I think some mods could make good use of that. :yes:
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Theoretically you could completely replace all of them with cutscenes.

* karajorma doesn't want to think about the file size of that mod!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I'd give for sure that Diaspora will be using that feature to represent Viper launch/landing sequences and even pre-briefing/debriefing activities inside a Battlestar... :rolleyes:

:p
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Theoretically you could completely replace all of them with cutscenes.

* karajorma doesn't want to think about the file size of that mod!

I'd give for sure that Diaspora will be using that feature to represent Viper launch/landing sequences and even pre-briefing/debriefing activities inside a Battlestar... :rolleyes:

:p

Although this feature can be really cool, please remember that a lot of FS2 users, (like myself), are not native English speakers, and we usually have a harder time understanding spoken English than written one. So fully cinematic briefings/debriefings could make them lose the background story if these movies are not designed with this issue in mind.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:08:25 pm by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I said it was theoretically possible. I didn't say I was insane enough to do it. :p

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Although this feature can be really cool, please remember that a lot of FS2 users, (like myself), are not native English speakers which usually have a harder time understanding spoken English than written one. So fully cinematic briefings/debriefings could make them lose the background story if these movies are not designed with this issue in mind.

Creating cutscenes for each briefing and debriefing (don't forget about multiple endings!!!) would be nearly impossible. By pre-briefing/debriefing sequence I meant something very simple showing pilots entering the briefing room. True briefings should be in pure FS style... ;)

In any case, those cutscenes should be short or they'd become both annoying and too difficult to create, assuming that the team can't re-use parts seen in the show.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
thanks kara testing it now and it works.........

all i can say is

spank me
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."