Author Topic: A lot of crackling sounds  (Read 4203 times)

A lot of crackling sounds
I just found out today that this mod finally got released and I'm so happy right now! I'm a big fan of the Battlestar Galactica Series and I love the so called "Near Newtonian Physics". IMO, all Freespace mods and the game itself should have this from the start. Because that's just how Space works and it's so fun flying with this.
Thanks for the wonderful work and this awesome game!

--TO THE ISSUE--

So I'm not having any issues right now except I get a lot of crackling sounds. I have completed about 4-5 missions now and in general the sound is great but there is crackling now and then. Not a lot but not to little either. It's enough to make me a little bit annoyed because I think you guys made an excellent with Music, Effects, Voice Acting, and I want to hear it without all the freakin crackling.
No, it's not the Radio Chatter, like something simple as change dual and single fire, the sound it makes when I change, makes a little bit of crackling.

I have a Logitech G35 Headset 7.1. And yes, if you didn't already know about it, this Headset is a little famous for having this crackling sounds in certain games, music, sounds etc, etc.. But some games are completely clean, while others, have crackling sounds. Same with music tracks...

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there any Audio Settings I don't know about? And if you are an owner of the G35 and knows about these issues have a solution, please tell!

Also... When destroying Cylon Raiders i Experience that there isn't much of an explosive sound. Is that because in General I'm much further away now because of the great speeds? Or another issue within the game?

Thanks again for this! It's really awesome, love the mod! And I appreciate the help!

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: A lot of crackling sounds
Are you sure it might not be your hair scratching a folded mic? It happened to me often. :p

Are you sure it might not be your hair scratching a folded mic? It happened to me often. :p

No lol... As I said, this is a common problem for the G35 if you google something in the lines of "G35 crackling issue", you will find a lot of users with this problem. Some, have REALLY BAD crackling. And others say it's just the best headset they have ever had.

As I said as well, it differs from game to game and music to music if I'm in Playback on iTunes, etc.. Some have crackling, some have nothing. Mic is totally fine and I can mute the mic with just a simple button or folding it up on the headset :P

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If not, have you tried updating your audio drivers?  Lowering your volume to something like 80%?  Making sure your headset is plugged all the way into the appropriate jacks?

If not, have you tried updating your audio drivers?  Lowering your volume to something like 80%?  Making sure your headset is plugged all the way into the appropriate jacks?
I have the latest update. Changing volume doesn't remove the crackling, but it does crackle a little in the middle of changing the volume.
Ofcourse, it's a USB Headset which I also have heard, USB headset have crackling issues... But maybe someone knows more about it? Reason why and maybe how to fix it? G35 goes at max 16bit at 44100hz if that helps to know.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
First step to help debugging would be making sure whether the issue is still there if you use something else than your usb headset for sound.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

First step to help debugging would be making sure whether the issue is still there if you use something else than your usb headset for sound.

TBH I doubt it's within the mod. Since I have this issue with other games, and it's a known issue with many users. Not only this headset, but USB Headsets in general.

It seems you guys are not confirming this, so that just proves my point. I'm investigating in the issue right now tho. I will be updating :)

Ok. I tried asking a computer working friend and he suggested that tried I plugged in the Headset in to a USB 3.0 since the USB Headset might not get enough Power and that is what causing the Crackling.

And TBH, I think I still hear the crackling, but the volume of the crackling has considerably gotten less.

Offline newman

Sounds like Logitech got sloppy on this one. Hope you can find a way to eliminate crackling. I used to get it on my own headset, but a driver change fixed that in my case. Different headset, though.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
If it's power related, try using a powered USB hub?

If it's power related, try using a powered USB hub?

Well, we talked about that. (me and my friend)

Most USB slots I have on the back are red and says 3x USB Power. But they all have the same color which in my case is Red.
Then I got 2 USB 3.0. And then 2 USB slots on the front which is from the case and they are white.
How do I know which one is powered?

Edit: Also, when I try the USB 3.0, it reduces the volume a little on the crackling, but from time to time like every 30 seconds or so, the sounds completely dies for 1/4 or 1/2 of a second...

1394 was eSata or somethin else, my bad :P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:35:21 pm by Meatball »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
No, I meant like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817397021

A USB hub takes one port and makes it four (or more).  Which means that all four share the one port's power supply.  To address this issue, many USB hubs have external power adapters, allowing them to supply an abundance of power to the ports.  The USB Hub above (USB-3.0, but take care to plug it into a 3.0 port or it will of course drop down to 2.0 speed) uses a 4 Amp power supply, for a total of 1 Amp per port.  I'm pretty sure that's probably more than even your USB 3.0 ports produce.

As well, you can use the hub as a standalone 4 port USB charging station when not connected to a computer.

No, I meant like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817397021

A USB hub takes one port and makes it four (or more).  Which means that all four share the one port's power supply.  To address this issue, many USB hubs have external power adapters, allowing them to supply an abundance of power to the ports.  The USB Hub above (USB-3.0, but take care to plug it into a 3.0 port or it will of course drop down to 2.0 speed) uses a 4 Amp power supply, for a total of 1 Amp per port.  I'm pretty sure that's probably more than even your USB 3.0 ports produce.

As well, you can use the hub as a standalone 4 port USB charging station when not connected to a computer.

No, I do not own this. I might try it in the future thx. But if there is a different solution, I'm willing to try if now for some reason it isn't a power issue..