Author Topic: So... Who here likes big tanks?  (Read 13626 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
So... Who here likes big tanks?
That sensor alone scares me...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

May i ask what program you use? I could never go above 10000 polys on any model with TS, without having it slow to a crawl and die on me...
But that´s some awesome model work!
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Swamp_Thing
May i ask what program you use? I could never go above 10000 polys on any model with TS, without having it slow to a crawl and die on me...
But that´s some awesome model work!

He uses 3ds max.  Version 5, IIRC.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by aldo_14
He uses 3ds max.  Version 5, IIRC.

Yup. Itching to upgrade, too.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Styxx

Welcome to my world............up to v7 or 8 now, innit?

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
I always wanted to learn how to model but I just don't have the patience :p

Anyway, that thing is awesome ;)
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by Tiara
I always wanted to learn how to model but I just don't have the patience :p

Anyway, that thing is awesome ;)

ditto on both counts.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Very Good! The Cap-ship of tanks.:yes: :yes: :yes:  Three thumbs way up, wait I only have two.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by aldo_14

Welcome to my world............up to v7 or 8 now, innit?

They're up to 7...

*sigh* I remember when my 6 was the latest and the greatest... :p

Oh well... *loads Shareaza for completely legal reasons...*
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 08:57:58 am by 273 »

HOLY F-U-C-K!

I SAY MAKE THE TREADS FULLY GONE AND TURN THAT BASTARD INTO A SHIP!

I have version 6 myself, along with an older 3 version. But 3DS Max scares me, the menus are all hidden. Unless we have a 24 inch monitor, most menus remain hidden, and those that are not occupy a too big percentage of the screen. The viewports are terribly small. That´s why i like TS, like 95% of the screen in used for the viewports.
Plus TS has the "ring" tool, that 3DS Max doesn´t. Using the ring alone, i can shape a primitive a million diferent ways, with just a move of the mouse.
But i realize i have to learn 3DS Max, because TS doesn´t cut it anymore. I guess i´ll have to force myself to learn.
Btw, does Max have a multi- monitor capability? I mean, can i use it with 2 monitors at the same time? If i could plug in a second monitor to display the menus, and use the main monitor to display the viewports, that would be great!

That´s some awesome work.
:yes:
Now if only you could do the same with a spaceship...
;7 ;7

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Tiny update...

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
And started work on some anti-tank turrets. I hadn't planned to add these, figured it should have at least some defense...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Anti tank turrets?

What in hell are the stonking great cannons for, then?  Levelling mountains?  Incinerating small moons?

Offline Cyker

Holy smeg... the detail of the model alone is simply amazing!

Jeez man, you won't NEED textures at this rate :P

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
And started work on some anti-tank turrets. I hadn't planned to add these, figured it should have at least some defense...

LOL - I love how you show that the AT turrets can point downwards at a significant angle. :lol:

BTW, could you do a simple draft render or something with a modern MBT and a 747 in there for scale? ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Ya´know, i liked that tank so much that i started making one myself!:drevil:
Not nearly as big in size or detail, but it´s still the most detailed and high poly model i have ever made! Count is now at 18000, just about what TS can handle.
If Styxx doesn´t mind me tankjacking his thread, i might post a screen or two of it, maybe tomorrow.
Who knows, maybe someone starts a tank MOD for FS!
;7 ;7

As promised, the first shots of my little tank (miniscule in comparison to Styxx´s), still a long way from finished. The problem is that TS has given me all that it could, and now refuses to handle so many polys...
I still need to greeble most flat surfaces and the entire front, and finish the inside. My idea is making it a walk-in model.

Hope you don´t mind Styxx. If so, i will take them down, no prob. I just think these shots don´t warrant a thread of their own.
Anyway, can you tell me what´s the poly count on yours? Just to compare TS´s performance (or lack of it) with 3DS Max. I know i should change, but i tried a few minutes ago and i just can´t make out anything...

EDIT:
I´ve taken out the pics, leaving just one, because i opened a dedicated thread. That way i don´t hogg anybody´s thread.Go check it out.
;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 04:53:19 am by 2050 »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

I think someone dropped a brick on your tank...