Author Topic: Error :(  (Read 6520 times)

Offline MC_Kejml

• Drinks Kool-aid
Hello, my friend can't connect. He has a Wi-fi, and in the launcher, he had chosen the T1/ISDN/ etc option, and Direct connect one.
He registered in PXO and everything else like a ordinary player, but it didnt worked. When he clicked on the entry door, there is that ''connection failed'' and this is it.  :shaking:

I am copying his multi. dat file here:

FreeSpace Multi Log - Opened Sat, Oct 13, 2007  at 10:10PM
----
----
----

10/13 22:10:53~   psnet_init() detected lan connection
10/13 22:10:53~   psnet_get_ip() reports IP : 0.0.0.0

10/13 22:10:53~   Receive buffer set to 4096

10/13 22:10:53~   Send buffer set to 4096

10/13 22:10:53~   Error on IPX startup 10047

10/13 22:10:53~   Network
10/13 22:10:53~   Found no RAS connections
10/13 22:11:02~   In psnet_use_protocol()
10/13 22:11:02~   Psnet : TCP broadcast

10/13 22:11:02~   Psnet using - NET_TCP

10/13 22:11:02~   multi_level_init()
10/13 22:11:02~   Invalid socket id passed to nw_NewCloseSocket() -- -1

----
----
----
FreeSpace Multi Log - Closing on Sat, Oct 13, 2007  at 10:11PM

It would be great if somebody helps.
Thanks in advance :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Where did he get his FS Open?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MC_Kejml

• Drinks Kool-aid
karajorma: He has the code written in the file, there is no problem with that..

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Does he have his multi settings set like this?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
karajorma: He has the code written in the file, there is no problem with that..

BOTH files?

The most common cause of the problem is that while the one in FS2\Data is correct the one in fs2\mediavps\data isn't (or doesn't exist) and overrides it.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
i currently cannot play FS2 multiplayer too, but every TC works !!!

files are correct, no typing errors in the passwort, options are correct too, I am out of ideas...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 07:49:59 am by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm.  Is your firewall allowing the fs2_open .exe?

Offline Vidmaster

just use the standart windows firewall and yes, it allows FS_open.exe  . I also tried to connect with the firewall deactivated, still no connection.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Here:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,49793.0.html

In the second post, download the UDP port tester.  Tell it to test port 7808.  What does it say?

Offline Vidmaster

it fails ! but why the heck does it fail ?  :mad: :mad: :mad: it even fails when I disable the firewall :no:
execptions in the firewall options say C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe is allowed !
there are also two entries for 7808 in that list, one for TCP and one for UDP ?

what did I done wrong ?  :confused:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 12:43:15 pm by Vidmaster »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
www.portforward.com -> forward port 7808 UDP in your router setup.  You may need to set up a static IP, Port Forward has tutorials on that, too.

What is your network setup like?  eg, do you have :

Cable TV line -> Cable Modem -> Router -> Single Computer?
Cable TV line -> Cable Modem -> Router -> Multiple Computers?  (better get a static IP from your Router if this is the case *not* the same as a static IP from your ISP company)
Cable TV line -> Cable Modem -> Single Computer?
DSL line -> DSL Modem/Router -> Single Computer?
What?  XD

Offline Vidmaster

DSL line -> DSL Modem/Router -> Single Computer?

that one

www.portforward.com -> forward port 7808 UDP in your router setup.  You may need to set up a static IP, Port Forward has tutorials on that, too.

that side is a monster of information. I am not sure if I managed to open the ports, since pftwin still says they are closed. At least, Freespace does something different now. Instead of giving me a "connection failed" about 20 secs after I try to log on, it gives it to me right away.

why the hell do the TCs work proplerly ?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You're wasting your time checking port 7808 unless you intend to host games (and even then your problems will appear only once you can log on). FS2NetD used port 12000 TCP for the log on (for FS2 at least. BtRL uses 12001 and WCS uses 12003). Which TC can you log on with? TBP? WCS? (I'd expect WCS to crash since they said they hadn't done the interface art).

If TBP will log on I'd be hugely surprised as I don't think they included a fs2open_pxo.cfg file.

And what does it actually say in both the ones you have in your Freespace2\Data and Freespace2\mediavps\Data folders?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
@karajorma:  Just so I can understand this:

Where the heck does FS2 *recieve* connections from when you're not hosting?  You can't convince me that it's all a one-way information flow to the host.  The client has to recieve, too... now I'm sure there's an explanation, and I can't wait to hear it.. this has been a bit confusing for me for awhile.  :confused:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
@karajorma:  Just so I can understand this:

Where the heck does FS2 *recieve* connections from when you're not hosting?  You can't convince me that it's all a one-way information flow to the host.  The client has to recieve, too... now I'm sure there's an explanation, and I can't wait to hear it.. this has been a bit confusing for me for awhile.  :confused:

All connections are initiated by the client. Once a connection is established, data can flow in both directions. The problem is creating the connection. The receiver of the connection attempt must have their ports open, or the connection can't be created.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
So, the outgoing port on the client is open because the client initiated it, and once it is established, it just stays open; the problem is the host must have the port open or it won't even recognize the attempt.  Correct?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The problem is not your firewall (as most people assume) but another feature of the router called NAT (Network Address Translation). What happens is that when you set up your router you let it have the public IP address. and your PC takes its own IP address (usually from the 192.168.x.x range).

When you want to connect to a computer over the internet you send the packet to your router with the IP Address of your machine and the port you sent it from. The router then replaces your IP address with the public IP address it holds. It then also changes the port number as well. It notes down this change of IP address and port number internally. So if it changes the port from 7808 to 13521 then when it receives a packet from the internet which is going to port 13521 it knows that the packet is actually meant to go to your PC on port 7808.

That works fine for connections like the one to FS2NetD since your PC initiates the connection. It also works if you try to connect to someone's game because it is your computer that initiates contact with the game server so when a reply comes from the server with a destination port of 13521 your router knows exactly what to do with it.

The problem comes with the server. you start up your game, connect to FS2NetD which advertises your IP address to anyone else who wants to play. A client decides to connect. He knows your IP address and the destination port is 7808 (or whatever you set force local port to if you were silly enough to fiddle with that). The packet reaches your router. It has the IP address of the router and port 7808 as the destination port. The router thinks "What the **** am I supposed to do with this!?" because it has no way of knowing which PC on your network the packet is meant to go to. So the router discards the packet.

If you've been following this you can probably see what port forwarding does now. It tells the router anything that arrives at port 7808 is for my PC. So now it knows where to send those packets.

I've simplified what's going on but that should show you why you need to port forward if you're hosting but not to play games. It's all about who initiates the contact.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Got it.  :D  Thanks!

Offline Vidmaster

I can log on with WCS and BtrL (TBP not, of course, since there is no file), but not with FS2. You are right with the hosting, my games cannot be seen on the server because of that frakking port thing. But to log in should be possible for FS2, BUT IT ISNT!!!

the files in the mediavps and data folders both say:

fs2netd.game-warden.com

like in your faq.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 08:54:43 am by Vidmaster »