Author Topic: MechCommander 2X (wolfman-MC2X) techical problems  (Read 3758 times)

Offline UnknDoomer

MechCommander 2X (wolfman-MC2X) techical problems
Using latest release - http://www.wolfman-x.net/missions/R40/MC2X.exe Released 12.01.18. Version R40. Looks like R41 on it's way.
And http://www.wolfman-x.net/missions/R40/MC2X-CVE-G.exe (Carver V, game original modified plot).

Current techical problems on Windows 10 x64 I've found:

1. Lags, when trying to play full-screen mod with auto-detected screen resolution. Using 16:9, 1920x1080. And also everything is two small - icons, tasks list.
2. In windowed mod I've less lags, using 1280x720, but screen resize a lot, and have glitching black border at the bottom of the screen. 1920x1080 working in windowed working without last problem, but lagged too much, can't play.

So the only playable solution I've found at the moment => 1280x720 in windowed mod, with several lags.

One guy mentioned a possible solution - delete 2 old .xls, BADCARD and VIDCARD files from game folder. Like it's working bad with new videocards or something. Another method - somehow edit specific to your own one videocard... but was no detailes about. Now I can't test it because have two new problems:

1. Game just stop running. Black screen and closing. OR
2. I got an error that not enough memory and one another time about missing mc2xres.dll in folder, but it there...

STOP      : FAILED (0x8007000e - WINERR_Not enough memory resources are available to complete this operation. ) - SetDataFormat(0xc20f64, c_dfDIJoystick)

STOP      : FAILED (0x8007000e - WINERR_Not enough memory resources are available to complete this operation. ) - SetDataFormat(0xc20f64, c_dfDIJoystick)
Address   : 0x64F2C95F
Location  : DINPUT! (+0xB95F)

Call Stack
==========
0x64F2CA63 DINPUT! (+0xBA63)               
0x005EEDA3 MC2XGAME! (+0x1EDDA3)   

Tried reinstall, restart PC and cleaning registry. Same as another way of installation. Doesn't help.

n additional to it game says once:

STOP      : Another application is preventing use of full screen mode.

STOP      : Another application is preventing use of full screen mode.

Processor Registers EAX=0x00000000 EBX=0x00000000 ECX=0x00000000 EDX=0x00000000 Flags=0x00000000
=================== ESI=0x00000000 EDI=0x00000000 EBP=0x0019FD70 ESP=0x0019F820   EIP=0x00000000
EIP (0x00000000) ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??
ESP (0x0019F820) 0019F860 008592E8 00000001 00000000 00000014 FFFFFFFE 0019F85C 00000400
              00000800 0019FD80 00000200 00000053 1ED5EBE8 00000100 00000047 1EE36260
              00010000 0000024A 1CC56DF0 00800800 5276F715 00000000 00000001 00000020

Any ideas how to fix those errors / make it works smooth on such config? DirectPlay is in place, like all distributions. I tried different modes of compatibility, reinstallation, cleaning the registry, other installation paths, restarting - it does not help.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 03:22:27 pm by UnknDoomer »
You don't need any talent to go between the impossible...

Re: MechCommander 2X (wolfman-MC2X) techical problems
The only thing i can say that you have a graphic problem. reinstalling/regediting wont help with that. maybe other drivers / what graphic card do you have and what kind of mainboard / processor?

did u turn off vertical sync?
did u changed color settings?
do you run other 3D apps similar? if so quit them
set all graphic settings for best performance, not quality
It has become appalingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Albert Einstein

I do not use Win 10 and thus can not verify nor test anything for it.
All these issues are unknown/unreported for MC2X  till date.
Some of your issues had been reported  in other content for using laptops with shared graphics memory .
I do not know if this applies to you.
Finally be aware that this forum usually does not cover MC2X topics. FYI

You´re really quaintly, wolfman-x. I will try to help you UnknDoomer - i´m sure somehow it will run without any issues. Did you have already tried to run it via VirtualMachine? On an emulated XP for example?

Albert Einstein

Offline UnknDoomer

what graphic card do you have and what kind of mainboard / processor?
ASUS STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING
Motherboard - ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011
Processor - Intel Core I7-4930K LGA 2011 (3,4 GHZ, 6x)

did u turn off vertical sync?
I suppose It turned off. "Use 3D application settings" was in Nvidia control panel. Checked to off.

do you run other 3D apps similar? if so quit them
Nope.

Some of your issues had been reported  in other content for using laptops with shared graphics memory .
Using PC.

Did you have already tried to run it via VirtualMachine? On an emulated XP for example?
Not yet. Has problems with installing. Can't find Hyper-V in components and Windows 10. Same up to can't turn it on via command line. And installer from Microsoft page also don't want to run by some reason... Now trying to install this http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/7/2/B72085AE-0F04-4C6F-9182-BF1EE90F5273/Windows_XP_IE6.exe + need Virtual Machine. Right now don't have an idea where to get it.

Update: looks like my version of windows not support it. Will try Virtual Box + .rar from this manual https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26OQONzwHF0

Update 2: today game starts to run. But lags still here.

I think that possible solution is run it less resolution, like 1024x768 for example in full-screen, but now it'a hardcoded and can be used only in windowed more where controls on the map works bad outside the area - you need to move map.

Update 3: put check on 640x480 compatibility + XP SP3 + fullscreen optimizations off. Game resized few times, running 1280x720. Alt+enter => full-screen. But still lags a lot...

Update 4: Virtual Box + Windows XP SP3 + 1280x1024. No difference at all. Lags on it's place. So. Problem not in operation system. Deleting BADCARD.xls and VIDCARD.xls doesn't help.

Idea - I think problem is somewhere with hardware rastelizer / new videocard support. If first option is off game works little better, but ground and other textures go glitching.

Another idea - probably need to combine it somehow with tool from http://dege.freeweb.hu
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 06:28:10 am by UnknDoomer »

I suppose It turned off. "Use 3D application settings" was in Nvidia control panel. Checked to off.

Well i dunno really but shouldn´t it be "On" and VertSync turned off in its further settings? When i remember right?

Albert Einstein

Offline UnknDoomer

VertSync is off right now.

Offline UnknDoomer

Found the cause of errors. The problem with the allocation of video memory.

In case of MechCommanderOmnitech, this is solved as follows (I run it on Windows 10 x64):

1. Download dgVoodoo 2.55.4. dgVoodooCpl.exe, dgVoodoo.conf, D3D8.dll, D3DImm.dll, DDraw.dll => put in the game folder.
2. Run dgVoodooCpl.exe.
3. Select in the Config folder for example C:\MechCommanderOmnitech
4. In the Videocard list - dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated Card, 1024 Mb. You can choose Geforce4Ti 4800, 256 MB (at least apparently for normal run). 128 MB is not enough. dgVoodoo Watermark - check the box to make sure the program is working + just in case Fast video memory access.

With the MC2X, this trick doesn't work. On all video cards from the list, except for the Virtual SVGA Card, freezes when trying to load a combat zone. In the menu, briefing section, garage - it works. Why - a mystery for me. And, this video card, has a maximum of 128 MB. As a result, the lags remain. Any ideas how to deal with it?

By the way. In the log that occurred spontaneously, I found the following: STOP: FAILED (0x8007000e - WINERR_Not enough memory resources are available to complete this operation.) - CreateSurface (0x3350348: 256x256 0888 SystemMemory Texture) (changed)
c: \ mc2x-cve-g \ assets \ binaries \ blade.dll

What else advise:

1. "C: \ MC2X-CVE-G \ MC2XGame.exe / gosNoJoystick" - add / gosNoJoystick to the launch shortcut.
2. Compatible with Windows XP SP2/3 / 7.
3. Run as administrator.
4. Delete BADCARD.xls and VIDCARD.xls from game folder.

All 4 points do not help me in any way, but the matter, as I found out, is not in them.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:35:22 pm by UnknDoomer »

Offline UnknDoomer

One guy said that possible solution is in adding VenID/DevID of your videocard into VIDCARD.CSV. Probably it's a way to add "universal" dgVooDoo Virtual SVGA Card with 256MB, or, better 1024 MB...

Example - 0x10de, 0x0322, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, nVidia, GeForce FX 5200, RenderEqualZ
The first parameter is Vendor ID, the second is Device ID. Look at them in the device manager. 0x is added to these front IDs.
It was 10DE, in the file write 0x10de

Hardware_ids - 0x10de
Matching device id - 0x1b80

Opened the file, added line 146:

0x10de, 0x1b80, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, Nvidia, 1080, RenderEqualZ

=> the game stopped running. Deleted a line - same effect. After a few starts, it gave a memory error. The real video card in fact does not seem to register in any way. Only dgVooDoo somehow here...

However, perhaps instead of 0x0000000, it was necessary to specify something else.

Checked original game - it's not running at all in any format.

.rar added - actual for old videocards. May be the is the way to combine this stuff with cards from VooDoo list. But I don't know how.

Another suggestion - may be I can move some files from MechCommanderOmnitech (because it works just fine with) folder to original MC2 and MC2-X to force it work with VooDoo, but, again, don't know which one to pick.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:45:38 pm by UnknDoomer »

Offline UnknDoomer

Another suggestion - may be I can move some files from MechCommanderOmnitech (because it works just fine with) folder to original MC2 and MC2-X to force it work with VooDoo, but, again, don't know which one to pick.

Update. Found solution MC2X in windowed mode.

1. I've copied files from assets\Binaries MechCommanderOmnitech to assets\Binaries to MC2X (attached).
2. dgVooDoo. Same files. Same Virtual 3D Card. 1024 MB Vram. Force vSync. Fast video memory. Resolution - 1366x768.
3. Game - windowed mode, same 1366x768.

Less/more - game freezes on battlefield loading / or displays pixelated. If you will find a way to run in full-screen - let me know. Probably need some another files from MechCommanderOmnitech.

Under original MC2 - this method doesn't work. No solutions to run it yet.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:42:05 am by UnknDoomer »

Offline UnknDoomer

Solution found for MC2X (1920x1080, 240 Hz, 16:9, Windows 10 x64, GTX 1080):

0. First of all get an clear installation. For example MC2X-CVE-G.exe (original modified campaign). If you have old onces and experiments with them - delete all folders, VooDoo, etc.

1. Copy binaries as I've said before.

2. Copy VooDoo files to folder.

3. Settings - Virtual 3D Accelerated Card, 1024 MB, Force vSync, Fast video memory. General, by default must be - "Keep window aspect ratio", "Capture mouse" (depends on your PC specifics; it can give less lags, or more lags; you also can try to experiment with DPI settings of your mouse if it's "hardcore" one variation).

4. Windows task bar settings => "Hide taskbar in desktop mode" (it will give you a little more space).

5. Run the mission. Press alt+enter. Then press rectangle icon on the right corner to fix additional left lags.

6. Abort mission. You will see, that menu was resized to 1280x720 and looks pixaleted.

(!) (read below before use) 7. If you don't like it - press menu. Window mode. Accept. Options again. Your resolution. For me 1920x1080, 16:9.

8. Abort mission again.

9. Now you will see the menu, garage, etc. windowed, but not pixaleted. By the same it working in RizZ's MechCommander Gold. Main menu => Exit. Run MC2XGame.exe to check that all set up fine.

Now, if you used #7, new problem appears. On next run game will freeze on battefield loading. To prevent it - turn off windowed mod. If it not work - complete all steps from zero, before it - delete everything.

Left "bugs":

(!) To prevent this bug DO NOT complete #7. Here depends want you want more. Install game each time when you want to continue it and not "extended" menu resolution. Or "extended" menu using without reistalling game each time. I don't have idea have to fix it.

(!) Possible small mouse lags can left. You can go around with "Capture mouse" settings / DPI. I didn't check second option. If I remember right, several years ago, when I've run MC2 last time, with one Razer mouse with changed DPI it changed things much. So. Probably with some experiments we can find specific "optimal" DPI setting to use for MC2.

Also. I didn't use any of

1. "C: \ MC2X-CVE-G \ MC2XGame.exe / gosNoJoystick" - add / gosNoJoystick to the launch shortcut.
2. Compatible with Windows XP SP2/3 / 7.
3. Run as administrator.
4. Delete BADCARD.xls and VIDCARD.xls from game folder.

things from this list at all. And not recommend for you to use it without reason and if all running smooth according to things above. Also. If you are using 240 Hz, 75 Hz, and any kind of Nvidia settings and etc. - then don't touch it! 240 then put it 240 Hz. Do not use 60 Hz because: "hm, this game is old and it need..." and stuff like that. Not need. It can give you additional set up problems and ruin whole config.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:47:54 am by UnknDoomer »