Author Topic: "Testing, Testing, One, Two ..." (new sound code)  (Read 66677 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: "Testing, Testing, One, Two ..." (new sound code)
Well, it's just sound related, you could probably test with a mod that's a little less intense :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
BP2 has several new sound effects which are truly awesome with this audio code. I don't want to miss out the aural sensation it gives. :(

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
BP2 has several new sound effects which are truly awesome with this audio code. I don't want to miss out the aural sensation it gives. :(
Here are SSE2 release build versions: http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/testing/20100216-win32_sse2.7z

Offline Axem

Yeah some of the doppler shifting is sort of funky on the beams and warp in and outs. But the rest, oh god, the rest. Fly bys sound awesome and the sound beams make when they impact a hull? Ultra-satisfying.

My only... not really a complaint but something I noticed. The some music seems to be a lot quieter, maybe its just me or maybe its just that the sounds are a lot louder now. But I had a harder time hearing music if a play-sound-from-file is being used. I checked with a retail mission and music played through the music.tbl sounds about right.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Yeah some of the doppler shifting is sort of funky on the beams and warp in and outs.
If anyone has any ideas on how to deal with this I'd be interested in hearing about them.  I can make some tweaks, but I'm basically just flying blind on this since I don't really know how manipulating the settings will actually affect sounds.

My only... not really a complaint but something I noticed. The some music seems to be a lot quieter, maybe its just me or maybe its just that the sounds are a lot louder now. But I had a harder time hearing music if a play-sound-from-file is being used. I checked with a retail mission and music played through the music.tbl sounds about right.
I'll give it a look, but I'm not sure that any changes were made which would affect that (unless it's a bug of course).  If anyone else notices this same thing please let me know.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Had a test with beta version of Age of Aquarius, "Universal Truth".

Apart from the obvious improvement in sound quality, not much else to report except music playback from play-sound-from-file doesn't loop when previously it did, and heard a slight delay between the battle tracks when switching from one track to the next.

Confirming this. It is really most annoying.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
O hai, DarthGeek from IRC here. Been testing this for a few minutes and I've already noticed a bug: Doppler effects seem to be reversed. When I'm flying towards them, they're lower-pitched, and when I'm flying away, they're higher pitched.

Also, it may be just me but the doppler shifting seems way too pronounced. IMO it should be a bit more subtle, so it sounds more immersive but you don't really notice it unless you're listening for it.

Other than that, great addition to the codebase! I never noticed just how outdated the sound engine is until now. :)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
O hai, DarthGeek from IRC here. Been testing this for a few minutes and I've already noticed a bug: Doppler effects seem to be reversed. When I'm flying towards them, they're lower-pitched, and when I'm flying away, they're higher pitched.

Yeah, I get that too. I still like the countermeasure sound though.

I also forgot to mention that in one of my later playthroughs I noticed that while there was a LOT of stuff going on, a fighter that exploded right next to me was either completely drowned out or the sound didn't play at all. Just throwing that out there.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Axem

To add to my previous comment, it seems that the 3d sounds aren't attenuating like they should. If I turn Effects volume to the 2nd lowest, (since lowest mutes it), the effects my own fighter makes are as clear as day but and effects from something like switching weapons are near silent. Other 3d sound effects also seem to ramp up a lot as I get close to them. They can be real quiet but then get real loud if I approach them.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
a slight delay between the battle tracks when switching from one track to the next.
I've always had this problem (I'm on a Mac) with the music for SWC--a small (maybe 1/4-1/2 second) halt both before the music cuts in at mission outset and between every transition.  I just assumed it was the way the engine worked and the reason why all FS music fades out every normal and battle track instead of using direct segues.  Getting seamless transitions to work on all platforms would be huge.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
First post updated with new build.  And with any luck that will be the last build before it hits SVN. :)

Changes from 20100216 build:
  • Sync with RC1
  • fix buffer leak
  • fix reverse doppler (maybe)
  • fix looping for streaming audio
  • fix fade/cutoff for steaming audio (should fix the gap between music tracks)
  • voice capture disabled in code
  • various minor fixes and improvements

To add to my previous comment, it seems that the 3d sounds aren't attenuating like they should. If I turn Effects volume to the 2nd lowest, (since lowest mutes it), the effects my own fighter makes are as clear as day but and effects from something like switching weapons are near silent. Other 3d sound effects also seem to ramp up a lot as I get close to them. They can be real quiet but then get real loud if I approach them.
I wasn't able to reproduce this with the updated build, but I didn't try to reproduce it with the old build either.  Give it a try with the updated build and see if it's any better.

Some of that may just be how the code works though.  Distance culling is done in the code for 3d effects based on what is specified in the tables.  If a sound is further away than that distance then it will not play.  Unfortunately, when it is within that distance it can just suddenly be loud.  That stuff is just set in the tables, so if the tables are off then there isn't a whole lot that I can do with the code.  I'll see if I can tweak the settings a bit more to try and compensate better for it though.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Awesome, will test this as soon as I get home from work. :D

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
And for those who don't want to manually apply the patch that are using TortoiseSVN:
AudioCode.patch
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Also, it may be just me but the doppler shifting seems way too pronounced.
I noticed this too, when flying along the hull of a capship while rolling around the forward axis. As I roll on, the sound from the capship engines wobbles a lot more than one would expect.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Well, pronounced doppler effects might be MORE realistic.  The reason being:

I figure that since there is no sound in space, your fighter must be playing the audio for you, sort of like an in-cockpit surround system, in order for you to get a tactical advantage.  It would turn its scanner/sensor findings into sounds that the pilot would hear and recognize.  In the case of scanners failing, optical sensors would perform the task as well.  I'm sure by the time we have giant lazor beams of death, we'll have computers capable of handling this.  An increased doppler effect would make it easier to judge the velocity of sounds relative to you, increasing your tactical awareness.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And for those who don't want to manually apply the patch that are using TortoiseSVN:
AudioCode.patch

Applying the patch works, but the resulting code breaks FRED building:

Code: [Select]
2>..\..\code\fred2\management.cpp(382) : error C2660: 'snd_init' : function does not take 4 arguments
That line probably needs to be changed from
snd_init(0, 0, 44100, 16);
to

snd_init(0, 44100);
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
But we do have lasers of death, and they're _airborne_.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I was playing a very intense mission and halfway through it many sounds became garbled. Didn't happen on the older build.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Well, pronounced doppler effects might be MORE realistic.  The reason being:

I figure that since there is no sound in space, your fighter must be playing the audio for you, sort of like an in-cockpit surround system, in order for you to get a tactical advantage.  It would turn its scanner/sensor findings into sounds that the pilot would hear and recognize.  In the case of scanners failing, optical sensors would perform the task as well.  I'm sure by the time we have giant lazor beams of death, we'll have computers capable of handling this.  An increased doppler effect would make it easier to judge the velocity of sounds relative to you, increasing your tactical awareness.
You really want to go there!? :p
Anyway, its not a big issue, and in the end, having pronounced effects is better than getting no effects at all.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I noticed this too, when flying along the hull of a capship while rolling around the forward axis. As I roll on, the sound from the capship engines wobbles a lot more than one would expect.
Doppler is supposed to be disabled for capship engine sounds.  If it's not then it's a bug.  I'll give it a check to make sure it's set properly.

Applying the patch works, but the resulting code breaks FRED building:
I can't build FRED, so that's not surprising. :)  I'll be sure and fix it before the code ends up in SVN though.

I was playing a very intense mission and halfway through it many sounds became garbled. Didn't happen on the older build.
A debug log from when it does that would be very helpful.