Author Topic: RELEASE: HadNyxified... Rough Fenris  (Read 9036 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: RELEASE: HadNyxified Shiny Fenris
I think you misunderstood our conversation about the Leviathan. The big issues with the Levi textures are artifacts introduced by DXT compression and some minor issues with reflectance values being somewhat off from the intended values. For what it's worth, fightermedic intended the Leviathan to be painted with some edge wear that exposed bits of metal, he said so himself.
Perhaps. I admit I often feel dizzy, and some conclusions of conversations like that sometimes escape my attention. My short-term memory suffer from some issues I don't want to explain. Still my artistic freedom is valid in this case and any other. As Nightmare stated, my ships are "shiny" so they follow my distinctive style of modelling and texturing. MVPs are a healthy mix of Mixael's rough and specular-focused texturing, Oddgrim's pastel, digital-painted vasudans, VA's over-greebling, Sab0o's simplicity and Hades' tricky shapes. My shiny-ness contribute to the family.

In addition, I don't understand your conclusion that the Fenris is so metallic. Volition did not establish any ships as being metallic and it clashes with every other ship in the GTVA that others have worked on.
Which ships? Leviathan is the only PBR terran ship in current MVPs. I read Fenris as bare-metallic and in my opinion it fits to this ship. I added gray painting as you requested and I think it works. I will listen to your feedback as I used to listen others but I follow no guidelines when there are none. And there is nobody to give me such.

I don't want sound rude. I value your opinion, I value community feedback and I respect you personally for everything you do here. Anyway FSU is community project and Fenris is my contribution. I want to contribute more and I have power to do it, but I don't want to be limited by anything at all.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:22:15 pm by Nyctaeus »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Hey, someone will always get finicky when new MVP assets are made,   :p  For the record, I really love your metallic shiny stuff, I just did not think it was consistent for the Fenris with the rest of the MVPs. Feedback is just one of those things everyone has to deal with in life.  :warp:
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Perhaps. I admit I often feel dizzy, and some conclusions of conversations like that sometimes escape my attention. My short-term memory suffer from some issues I don't want to explain. Still my artistic freedom is valid in this case and any other. As Nightmare stated, my ships are "shiny" so they follow my distinctive style of modelling and texturing. MVPs are a healthy mix of Mixael's rough and specular-focused texturing, Oddgrim's pastel, digital-painted vasudans, VA's over-greebling, Sab0o's simplicity and Hades' tricky shapes. My shiny-ness contribute to the family.
While I agree that you should have some artistic freedom, what you have made here doesn't contribute so much as add noise to everything. All the Terran ships look verifiably Terran when lined up together except your Fenris. It's basically grungy gray, brown, green, and blue paint for everything else then the Fenris comes in looking like a mirror.

Which ships? Leviathan is the only PBR terran ship in current MVPs. I read Fenris as bare-metallic and in my opinion it fits to this ship. I added gray painting as you requested and I think it works. I will listen to your feedback as I used to listen others but I follow no guidelines when there are none. And there is nobody to give me such.
Ships being PBR or not isn't what matters, there's an aesthetic that each faction in FreeSpace have. For Terrans, it's the aforementioned grungy paint, Vasudans have semi-organic shapes with lots of yellows, oranges, and some browns, Shivans are dark, mechanical yet insectoid with red glows.

I really didn't want to be that guy, but I just don't think your style as is works for the Fenris. I want to see the surface detailing properly and actually get a good idea of the ships overall appearance, you've basically gone and masked any beauty it had with mirror-like surfaces.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Why hasn't this been highlighted yet?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Yeah it's a cracking ship.  The shininess is authors preference and I for one am grateful for the effort.    It's not a hard correction for anyone wishing to include it in a mod.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Why hasn't this been highlighted yet?

It's so shiny it can highlight itself. :D

Offline Aesaar

If you don't like how mirror-shiny this ship is (which I don't), you guy understand that changing that only takes a couple of minutes and a free paint.net plugin, yes?  It's really not hard.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, about the shiny-ness... well, for me it look more that this ship was wrapped in aluminum foil, do not see any metal in it.  :nervous:

But nevertheless, i have some small other nitpicking with it: I think the nameplate is placed too much to the left, because even short ship names begin at the join instead on the empty area of the hull.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Someone's been polishing these Fenrises, I see. :P
They may explode when looked at, but at least they'll look shiny when doing so goddammit!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

After quite a while its nice to see progress. I just wish Demon gets some love like this too.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
If you don't like how mirror-shiny this ship is (which I don't), you guy understand that changing that only takes a couple of minutes and a free paint.net plugin, yes?  It's really not hard.

What filter would that be? I went into Photoshop, blended a battleship gray into the diffuse map, darkened the reflectance map massively, and did this to the main map only. The result:

Unfortunately, FenrisGreeb is not neatly separated into painted and dark parts so I left it completely untouched.

The diffuse map looks kind of rough but it has a real presence that no non-PBR ships possess. I think a real artist would be required to "paint" it properly, adding a sense of physicality and weathering to the paint, etc. Perhaps one could have easily gotten the impression that Terran ships were shiny metal from the way :v: textures designed without specularity in mind tended to get adapted to specularity. They "should" have been redrawn from scratch, but unfortunately the dev time and resources did not exist and especially capship tiles tended to end up at the bottom of the food chain in this regard. Instead, people twiddled with some sliders or applied crude blending techniques (sort of like what I just did ;) ) to get it looking mostly acceptable. The TEI fleet in Blue Planet seems like it was always meant to be silvery metal instead of gray, so that's another possible source for the shiny Terrans brain bug.

Even in its damaged state, this is the best-looking FSU model that's ever been released. Perhaps the bare metal skin could even be kept and made a GTI variant or something.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:13:10 pm by Woolie Wool »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
There's a face on the side of it above the red glowing thing.

This also looks pretty good too!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: RELEASE: HadNyxified... Rough Fenris
:bump: I completely forgot about it's existence o__O

Download in the first posted is now updated with FS1 variant + significantly rougher textures to match the Levy and get rid of this nasty glittering effect.

Edit: Aaaand now with much better normalmaps.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:15:41 pm by Nyctaeus »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.