Author Topic: 2009-06-23 - A Much Closer Look At The Battlestar Theseus  (Read 56064 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: 09-06-23 - A Much Closer Look At The Battlestar Theseus
There's still no comparison, Enker. Even with its fancy tech CryEngine can't render anything like what we're looking at here.

Sure it can.

It just needs a Cray.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Don't be silly! You can't run Crysis on a Cray! The video card isn't powerful enough!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Make another Cray into the video card?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Now it runs on everything but Very High.

We need to get Vista for DX10.  :(

ANYWAY! Sorry for the derail, Kara. I just wanted to register again how excited I am for this product. The quality of the assets coming out of here, as well as the skill of the FREDders (between you and Axem alone you have an all-star team) are enough to get me excited. Between the thrill of the BSG-style dogfights (so much more dynamic than regular FS2) and the opportunities for mature storytelling the universe presents, I really think this is going to be a superior product.

Yeah, BP with all its excellent storytelling had great FREDding with its almost-impossible beam cannon objectives. :D
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh hush. That was...two missions! Just two! And we're supposed to be un-derailing this thread anyway.

Offline Enker

There's still no comparison, Enker. Even with its fancy tech CryEngine can't render anything like what we're looking at here.
I realize that, I was just trying to help.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It is a very neat concept. I wish it'd been implemented, though. CryEngine is not exactly optimized well.

Offline -Norbert-

I have a question about the model.
Aren't the "fighter-pods" (or however they are called) supposed to be retracted into the main hull during a jump.
With this model, they wouldn't fit into the gap in the hull.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:39:54 am by -Norbert- »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
They are on the Galactica. Ever seen the Pegasus retract pods?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

We've seen 3 canon battlestars - the Galactica, the Pegasus, and the Valkyrie. Of the 3, only the oldest of the bunch - the Galactica - has to retract her pods to jump, so obviously the colonials figured out how to jump a big ship without the need for pod retraction later on. The Theseus is a newer class then the Galactica, being comissioned near the end of the 1st war, and one of the improvements to the design was that she doesn't need to retract her pods to jump.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Morwen

It is a very neat concept. I wish it'd been implemented, though. CryEngine is not exactly optimized well.

From experience, I know that Crysis can handle some ridiculously large polycount at a decent FPS as long as you have today's average computer. I had 3 million tris on screen once and it still played at 30ish FPS. The real-time lighting and physicalized particle effects are also pretty fancy. The robot screenshot someone posted here looked like a really lowpoly model and really doens't do justice to the engine.

Offline -Norbert-

They are on the Galactica. Ever seen the Pegasus retract pods?
The only episode I remember, were the Pegasus was shown jumping, was the one in which the chief engineer (Garner?) was it's commander. And there was so much other action going on on the screen that I didn't pay attention to the pods.

Too bad actually, since I rather liked the fact, that they could retract the hangars during jumps or firefights, since they are a rather vulnerable place.
Do the Pegasus, Valkyrie and the Theseus have some kind heavily armored doors for the hangar entrances?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
None of the Battlestars has armored doors, Galacticas hangar entrance is closed by the hull when the ship is ready to jump.
Pegasus and Theseus have heavy/ medium cannons to protect the hangar from uninvited guests.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, there are big weapons platforms covering those entrances. Not to mention the massive amounts of flak a battlestar routinely puts out.
Anyway, Pegasus' pods are not retractable, and never have been. Razor, which features at least one jump by her, does not show it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
As I said before, Tan.J has not even started the REAL detailing. :D These are his latest WIP shots.
The threads, where he keeps posting his updates are shown below. Please visit these sites, and comment his work. More you like it, more he will work on it. That's how it works.

F3D thread: http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6605

SFM thread: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/65161-battlestar-theseus-high-poly-diaspora.html

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:53:15 am by Meleardil »
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
:jaw: The amount of detail is nearing "insane". He's slowly closing the gap to the meshes used in the show.
Awesome work :yes:

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

Nice ... the red glows have proper shadows.

Make sure the shadows from the movable turret don't get baked into the glowmap, or anything

So, can we get a mockup (maybe the low-poly original) of how this is going to look as far as color? I mean, where the glows are, where the grays are, where the shiny is, et cetera.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I expect it will look like Galactica when skinned
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well duh, but...  :(