Author Topic: RELEASE: Ridiculous  (Read 27603 times)

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
This campaign [...] was ridiculously awesome!

Quote-mined for truth!

Spoiler:
I was laughing out of my chair for more than a fair bit of the campaign. This is up there with JAD only less silly (that's a good thing  :P)

No bugs that I can remember, solid fredding, good script, pretty good voice acting. This one's a keeper!

I had one criticism, but I've forgotten, so it can't have been very important.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:54:59 pm by TacOne »

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Um, could someone give me a mirror, because my college has this hatred for mediafire. Megaupload works for me if you need what.

Edit: Nevermind, I have acquired it from a different source. Namely, a certain kitchen utensil.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:28:14 pm by AndrewofDoom »
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
good, something to play with! :D
el hombre vicio...

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Wow. I must say I'm impressed with the positive feedback this campaign's been getting.  :D

Thank you, everybody who's been downloading this nutty little project, I really appreciate it.

Now, on to supar-special author responses!

@Shivan Hunter: I used basic .tbls because I didn't know how to work .tbms when I began developing this mod. When I did figure out .tbms about halfway through the development phase, I decided to just stick with a sure thing. Simple as that.

@Quent: Erm, the custom music is actually implemented as looped sound effects. Maybe there's something with the .13 builds that don't like that. I dunno, again development was exclusively on the .12inf platform.

@Bigchunk:
Spoiler:
-M3 briefing stage 1 has been fixed; the first update was actually posted because of that issue. Good catch!

-Guardianing is clumsy, but I really couldn't come up with a more elegant solution at the time. I mean, even if the threshold is set to a more realistic value, like 23% or summat, most players would get suspicious when seeing your wingmates eat Hornet salvo after Hornet salvo. Guardianing is guardianing in my book.

-M7, durr. Hate to say it, but "avoid the beam, and you won't get hit, pilot!"  :p Ok, serious now. I've only really had issues with friendly-fire beams against the initial 2 corvettes. After that, the mission should pretty much be a cakewalk. Maybe try a different ship- I personally favor a Sekhmet loaded with some Helioses on this mission.

-M8, I actually favor an Ares for this mission! Yeah, the length is a low point, and I was honestly worried that might annoy a lot of people. During development, I just couldn't come up with a way to split the mission without wrecking the pacing, so I opted to make the last half or so really easy- I didn't want to ape players who made it that far with random beamings or vicious dogfights.

@FIZ, and regarding the closing cutscene in general,
Spoiler:
Yes, the tone is supposed to play.

In fact, the cutscene actually has a certain significance. Anybody willing to hazard some theories?

@Hero:
Spoiler:
The voiceacting actually was me just grabbing some of my friends while we were hanging out at my place and me saying, "Hey, you wanna voice act for a small project of mine?"

In no case (except for my own parts) did any of the recording go beyond two sessions. None of us are professionals, we just did it for the hell of it. For future projects, I can beat my underlings friends such that they can emote a bit more. That said, I'd actually be mildly inclined to agree with your comment.

@Anybody else who had something to say that I'm not categorically answering here:
Thanks for the responses, really! I've been fretting about getting this project out the door pretty much ever since completion was drawing near. It really tugs the 'ol heartstrings to see people enjoying it so much!
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
-M8, I actually favor an Ares for this mission! Yeah, the length is a low point, and I was honestly worried that might annoy a lot of people. During development, I just couldn't come up with a way to split the mission without wrecking the pacing, so I opted to make the last half or so really easy- I didn't want to ape players who made it that far with random beamings or vicious dogfights.

How about a checkpoint?  ;7

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
A checkpoint would actually be perfect. How could I go about setting it up?

(Yes, yes. There will be a Director's Cut incorporating various upgrades at some point in the future. Just don't ask when.)
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That actually depends on how complex the mission space is at the time. However, the basics are simple: you need to store player position and health, as well as the health of any mission-critical ships, to player persistent variables. Setting up the load is...slightly more complex.

It works best if there's a bottleneck in mission phase space at which point the only major ships present are capships in predictable locations, with few enemy fighters.

Offline swamper123

• Just call me Swamper
Downloading , I cant wait for play it,  :)
Let's play Blue Planet

This looks interesting.  The campaign title is certainly unique.  We will see if it lives up to its name.   :)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
http://freespacemods.net/download.php?view.657

It's late, I have a test tomorrow.

So I took the time to mirror it. :)
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
Woaaaaaaaah!

This campaign is quite well named :P
If you haven't already, i'd say go play it asap  :nod:

I don't quite agree with some people around though, because honestly... i don't think the campaign was that funny:confused:
It was quite fun so i was smiling 3/4 of time... but i don't think i actually laughted at any point  :nervous:
So i'd recommend it more as a real good campaign than as some JAD/DEM like campaign (i really liked it, i guess it'd go in my personal top5 campaign list o_o)

The story evolved a bit strangely imo, the whole atmosphere of first levels got completely vaporized around the end. (BTW, does the ending means a sequel or something? I didn't really get it :s)

Aside from that, all i can say is...
 :yes: for Mission Design
 :yes: :yes: for ANIs and cool stuff
 :yes: :yes: :yes: for the Music

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: THIS!
 :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: IS!
 :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: THE VOICE ACTING!
I dunno whether you hired idiot monkeys to voice act for the first campaign part or it was simply uber-goodly-good voice actors, but the whole ridiculous feeling sure got through imo. The voices were kindda.... beautifully strange and, uhhh, "tasteless". (All this might sound like it was bad but it was serious good  imo in the campaign context :nervous:)
And in what i consider as the second part, the voices were definitely immersive (probably because i got used to those strange voices too... i mean, i feel like they were polar opposites of the usual freespace voices but i guess that was the point)

Mewantsanupgradedversion!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Quite an amusing campaign, the voice acting was a charming touch.
Gave me a few smiles and a few laughs.
FRED wise could use some polishing (a male voice but a female .ani? Fighter wings without orders, several missions play themselves etc)

But overal, good effort  :nod: :yes:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Nuclear1

Spoiler:
Favorite moment: 
Wingman: The Nav Buoy seems to indicate we're in the Sparta system
Me:  ...oh Jesus.

This made me laugh.  And, as advertised, I felt ridiculous while playing it.  :)  Well done :yes:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline -Sara-

Giving it a try, parodies aren't often my thing with FS campaigns but I'll give it a go.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Spoiler:
Favorite moment: 
Wingman: The Nav Buoy seems to indicate we're in the Sparta system
Me:  ...oh Jesus.

This made me laugh.  And, as advertised, I felt ridiculous while playing it.  :)  Well done :yes:
That would be why this campaign is ridiculous. :D
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Excellent campaign. Was very fun.

Some really good witty banter there, congrats.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline -Sara-

Just finished it, had fun! Love the VA'ing.  :yes:
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Infamus

i know rite?

[attachment deleted by admin]
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
This is incredibly silly!
There needs to be more campaigns like this.

Offline Kolgena

I haven't had time to play this yet, but I was digging thru the VPs for kicks and discovered that the Apollo model seems to be the old version that has single thrusters in each of the side pods instead of triple thrusters. Intentional modification, or actually outdated model?

Edit: closer inspection reveals that the Apollo lacks normal maps and has a weird shine map. Again, I'm not sure if this is intentional (played for jks at some point?) or some sort of mistake.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 11:00:46 am by Kolgena »