Author Topic: Reporting bugs in Starshatter Open  (Read 29569 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Reporting bugs in Starshatter Open
IfWhen you come across a bug, here's what you do to get it noticed:

1. Post about it. Either here, or on the Google Code bugtracker.
2. To give developers as much information as possible, please describe the steps needed to reproduce the bug, and try to reproduce it using the provided Debug build (Starshatter_D.exe). This build will generate two log files in your Starshatter directory, called errlog.txt and memdbg.txt. Please include both in your bug report.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline braddw25

Re: Reporting bugs in Starshatter Open
The magic2 file included with this build seems to have trouble rendering texturs on the 3d models. When I loaded a .mag file, it just appeared solid black. I tried to add a texture file to the materials, but the program would not accept it. The next time I reopened the materials page it was blank again.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The magic2 file included with this build seems to have trouble rendering texturs on the 3d models. When I loaded a .mag file, it just appeared solid black. I tried to add a texture file to the materials, but the program would not accept it. The next time I reopened the materials page it was blank again.

I tested this a bit, and it seems there's an issue where Magic tries to load textures from its own directory. So, until this is fixed, you need to place your textures in the same directory the Magic exe is in.

Offline braddw25

Thanks. Tried it, and it worked.

Offline braddw25

Another bug to report (or at least I think it's a bug) is that during the campaign when the player chooses to command a carrier there does not seem to be a way to send attack craft on a planetary strike mission through the flight ops screen. This does not get noticed much because most players do not choose to command the carriers and opt for cruisers instead when they reach high enough rank. It does seem to be  real problem though for those who choose to take charge of flight ops in campaign mode.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I _think_ that's more of an oversight or feature request than a bug. Not that it matters, I'll add it to the bug list.

Offline braddw25

I _think_ that's more of an oversight or feature request than a bug. Not that it matters, I'll add it to the bug list.

Agreed. I wasn't sure where to post it though and this seemed like the best match. Thank you for adding it to your list. One particular member over at SSC seems to really like being in charge of flight ops and this flaw is particularly bothersome for him. I told him I would refer it to the coding team for consideration.

Offline braddw25

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I'm having some graphics problems. I am now on my home gaming system instead of my laptop. When I first ran Starshatter this morning it was running at the native resolution setting of my computer which is 1920X1080. I realised that I did not have SSreborn enabled so I enabled it in the mods config section. For some reason my screen resolution changed to 800X600 and now I am completely unable to get it back to 1920X1080. I copied the SSreborn.dat from my laptop which has a max resolution of1024X768 which is what SS now keeps reverting to on my other system. I disabled and then deleted Ssreborn.dat and then reinstalled the newest version of Starshatter, but that did not fix the problem. I thought that Starshatter was now supposed to automatically match the setting of the computer it was installed on, but mine is not doing that for some reason. Any suggestions??

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Did you run the debug executable by accident? Because that one is hardcoded to only run in 800x600.

Offline braddw25

No, I'm running the correct exe. Just double checked. I'm running Starshatter.exe not the Starshatter_D.exe. I just used an old trick to get my resolution back where I want it. I manually edited the video.cfg and then set it to read only. That appears to have gotten me back to 1920X1080 even though on the config screen it says the game is running in 1024X768. I verified the res by taking a snapshot in game and when I loaded it up in irfanview it did indeed say that the screen shot was 1920X1080. Here is the strange part though. Any time I make ANY changes now in any of the options screens it immediately changes to 800X600 res and I can tell it has actually change just by looking at teh screen. When I exit and restart though it is back where it should be. Is this how it is supposed to run or do I have somethign screwed up? When I go to the video options, the highest res available is 1600X1050 or somethign like that. I know that in a previous version I could select 1920X1080. It's not a big deal because I am able to get it running at the res I want, butit might be a pain for new players to have to go through the video.cfg manual edit.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmm.

Gonna try and see if I can replicate this.

It was that mystery version that fixed this problem but the guy didn't use the SVN. I asked wdboyd if he could get the code from the guy but nothing ever came of it. :(
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline braddw25

Was that version 5.05 by any chance?

It was called 5.0.5 but it was different from the one available at starshatter-open. Wdboyd released it through starshattermods, kind of negating the reason of having a centralized hub for builds.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I've encountered this as well.  Additionally, the bottom bar of the screen makes my cursor hang up, and I can't move my cursor past that point without exiting the actual game if I click.  Makes it a pain to click the Accept, Save, Cancel, etc buttons since only about half of the button is in the part of the screen I can reach.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Yeah, the GUI needs a bit of help at extreme limits of the screen. As a temporary workaround, usually holding the cursor over a button, and then pressing enter once the button lights up works, though I think this only tends to work with certain buttons. When you can't get to the cancel, quit, or exit buttons, pressing escape on the keyboard will work sufficiently well also.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

If you disable desktop compositions it fixes that issue.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I think my carrier started shooting itself with its guns. I was playing the carrier vs carrier single mission. I started hearing weapon impacts (but not shots fired), and it looked like the area around my guns were flashing, and I saw that my hull was lower than I remembered it. I couldn't see any enemies nearby that might have been shooting me. Switching guns and pdb from DEF to MAN didn't change anything. Unfortunately the enemy carrier chose that moment to bug out, which automatically ended the mission.

I'd report it as a bug, but I haven't reproduced it yet, and I'm not even sure that's what was happening.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Right!

Got the game, grabbed the "new" version of the .exe, set up compatibility mode...

And the game immediately says,
Starshatter cannot open up the file shatter.dat.
And it asks me to do a fresh install.

What should I do?

Edit: Hey guys, ran the debug build, and I've attached what it shot out. Any solutions?

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:28:39 pm by HeliosRX »

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Ok, heres the dear which pisses me off.

Whenever i complete my mission, i signal Archon to return to base, i get clearing, i get out my landing gear, and confirm my landing.
When im in the fighter bay, camera turns like it was about to finish the mission, but it doesnt, i still controll the ship, and if i don't stop, i just crash into the carrier, dying and failing the mission.

Really bad thing....
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--