Author Topic: Official new people thread!  (Read 229814 times)

Re: Official new people thread!
Hi, This is my first post. for a week or to i have been playing fs2 (with fso). I'm hear to enjoy some of the campaigns in the form.

Offline xYama

• Twitter
-anxious breathing-
-gulp-

Well... here it goes. Hey everyone, this is my first post here. Ive been lurking these forums for about 2 years now since finding this godsend of a modding community. Thanks all for further developing the game that gave me anxiety and nightmares as a child. While my freinds all embarked into gaming with the light-hearted giggles provided by Mariokart, I sat there and shuddered coldly as Vasuda Prime was torched and the Galatea hulled by the Lucifer. Freespace has defined my perspective of gaming since I first sat in the cockpit of the Apollo in training simulator 1 at the battle ready age of 9 years old.  So to have all of these new campaigns and stories to follow is like a dream (albeit often a dark one) come true.

Hey guys. Name's Phil "BlueAlchemy". Just thought I'd introduce myself. Have loved FS since it came out. So happy that the code has been made open source so that all this could happen. I wish the Homeworld revival community was this comprehensive, they're only working on HW2, completely ignoring HW and Cataclysm. But that's another game. Wanted to offer that I have the original retail disks for FS1, FS-ST and FS2. So if anyone needs some of the original files I'd be happy to help as best I can. My biggest issue is Internet. Doing everything through my phone. And for everyone who hates the Microsoft simulated voice (either the sound or horrible pronunciation), I found the original voice files on my FS1 disk, extracted them from the VP files, since no one really provided a Stu VP for FSPort like there is for FSO/FS2. Anyway, hello.

PS- I'm also ecstatic that you guys are also working on Linux versions. Linux is sadly ignored usually. And if I knew more code I would gladly lend my help to the Linux team. Plus debugging Linux is a lot easier than Windows.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
since no one really provided a Stu VP for FSPort like there is for FSO/FS2.

There certainly is a stu VP for FSPort.  How did you install it?

Also, please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Offline Kerfy

hi kerfy here :) been playing this fer a while . thought it was pretty much dead. just recovering all the stuff i lost when my laptop died last spring . it was a lot. done sum fredding but only i ever saw or played it lol.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hello hello and welcome welcome.  :)
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

greetings HLP community! i've been enjoying freespace open for a long time, just thought I'd make the effort to post here. I love the modding projects from HLP, keep the awesomeness alive.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
:welcomeblue:

Glad to see you around!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Greetings, everyone!

Having FreeSpace 2 back in my life again is literally a wish come true (I have never played the first one, nor have I tried to - FreeSpace 2 gives me absolutely everything I want in a game). I don't remember how long it has been since I last played it, but I would guess that it's been close to 7 years. I don't remember when I began playing it, but I'd say that I probably played it for a handful of years (anywhere from like 2-3 years to 4-6 years - I'm really not sure). During the time I played it though, it was my most favorite game EVER. I couldn't get enough of it, and I always played the retail SP campaign (I don't like MP or user-made campaigns for some reason).

Then in March of 2008, I replaced my dinosaur computer with one that Overclock.net helped me build (and I was referred to OCN by an online friend that I met in the game called Subspace!) I had Windows XP on this new computer, but the video card was fairly modern. When I tried FreeSpace 2 on this new computer, the graphics just didn't look quite right - they looked degraded or something. It was much too distracting for me to enjoy the game, and it broke my heart. I blamed the video card, saying "it's just too new. I need to think about building a legacy machine for FreeSpace 2". lol I came close to doing it, too! I never did, so I honestly believed that my days of playing FreeSpace 2 were over. It was like the death of a really good friend - perhaps like the loss of a BEST friend. :(

2-3 years ago or so, a friend introduced me to Freelancer (he is also the one who introduced me to FreeSpace 2). Naturally, I loved it, but I still wanted to play FreeSpace 2 again. Don't get me wrong: Freelancer is great (!!!), but to me, nothing can beat FreeSpace 2. Nothing! So, I began using Freelancer to satisfy my hunger and desire for FreeSpace 2. Fortunately, it did an OK job, but I was never 100% satisfied. I'd say that I was perhaps 75-90% satisfied at all times, depending on the day. Again, retail SP campaign only - that's just how I am with video games.

Finally, yesterday happened. lol Yep, I couldn't take it anymore. I reached a point where I desperately needed to get my FreeSpace 2 fix, and I needed it NOW. lol So, I Googled "freespace 2 in windows 7 64-bit", and that lead me to FSO! I was blown away, and I still am. So, here I am, trying to remember how I used to ride this extremely awesome proverbial bike and having an absolute BLAST doing so! Like I said, I "knew" that I'd NEVER play FreeSpace 2 ever again, and it broke my heart. So, when I went through the first part of the first training module yesterday, every last bit of it was EXTREMELY fun. I was having so much fun and I was so happy that I would've been extremely embarrassed if someone had walked in on me. I mean, like I said, I was all super giddy and super happy while just running through that first part of the first training module! LOL I've never been this excited and happy about getting something back in my life. Ever. To be honest, this is really the only video game that I have ever wanted ever since I stopped playing it due to upgrading to a modern computer. It has been a challenge to fill that void, and I've spent a LOT of money on games in a feeble attempt to do so. Sure, I acquired some games that I really love playing, but nothing leaves me feeling 100% satisfied except for FreeSpace 2.

So yeah, I'm EXTREMELY happy to have FreeSpace 2 back in my life, and I owe it all to everyone who helped create FSO and to everyone who helps maintain it and keep it alive! THANK YOU!!

If I am dreaming, then let me never wake. If I'm awake, then let me never sleep. I'm so happy right now that I could probably cry tears of joy. I know, I know: it's just a video game. However, I trust that many of you understand and would (or do) feel the same way. I mean, otherwise, FSO wouldn't exist - or at least continue to be so passionately maintained.

This is awesome (and a bit surreal)!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:40:44 am by TwoCables »
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
:welcomered:

Glad to see that you're enjoying FSO so much :)  Once you've run through the SP campaign again I'd encourage you to have a look at a few of the user made campaigns.  There's some top quality work from our modders that you haven't seen yet.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

:welcomered:

Glad to see that you're enjoying FSO so much :)  Once you've run through the SP campaign again I'd encourage you to have a look at a few of the user made campaigns.  There's some top quality work from our modders that you haven't seen yet.
Thank you!

I admit that I'm kind of planning to. I downloaded and installed absolutely everything right from the start (except for unnecessary things for my system), so I'm ready.  Is there a recommended chronological order to play the user-made campaigns? Or, is it good to just pick one and go?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The link in my previous post is a good place to find a suggested order to play stuff, depending on what you're looking for. My pick would be all the campaigns under the 1st two "questions in red" to start with.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

The link in my previous post is a good place to find a suggested order to play stuff, depending on what you're looking for. My pick would be all the campaigns under the 1st two "questions in red" to start with.
Oh wow, yeah I didn't click it. I'm sorry about that. In my defense though, I was more interested in getting back to FS2. lol :)

Thank you for showing me that thread! I can see that it will be very helpful when I'm ready!

Hey. I've actually been on this forum for a while now. Uhhh, hey. Hello. All that stuff.

Hi guys. I've been coming to this site for quite some time now, and thought I'd finally pull the trigger and officially join the community. I've owned Freespace 2 for a long time now, but I just got Freespace Open about a week ago. I've really been enjoying the updated models and all the work that went into making a great game even more beautiful. The first mod I played through was Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius. It was great! I'm working through War in Heaven now. Do any of you guys have suggestions for other high quality campaigns I should check out?  Thanks a lot! I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys!  :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This thread is a great resource for answering that question. :)

Awesome!! Thanks!

Hello Ive been a Fs2 player since fall 2013 but I stopped playing after finishing the Fs1 port. That screwed up my files so I gave up for a few months then got into minecraft. Today I just did a clean install and theres a new and easier installer to use for mods so I grabbed that. I decided that I should join the forums too since I was thinking of doing a freespace RP on some other forums but there arent many Freespace fans outside of here.(not sure if this place has an RP forum though. Oh well.) 

Anyway I was planning on replaying Fs2 with mediaVPs since I forgot those until the end when I first played. Whoever made those did a beautiful job! After that Im not sure what to play next. I was thinking of Diaspora since I recently got into BSG. Previously I have played BP and WIH along with Derelict and the search for Bosch. I played a few other mods but I cant recall. I tried inferno but I could never get that to install correctly. Some suggestions would be nice. Also I was wondering how interesting is Freespace multiplayer? I have never used it before.

Hello Ive been a Fs2 player since fall 2013 but I stopped playing after finishing the Fs1 port. That screwed up my files so I gave up for a few months then got into minecraft. Today I just did a clean install and theres a new and easier installer to use for mods so I grabbed that. I decided that I should join the forums too since I was thinking of doing a freespace RP on some other forums but there arent many Freespace fans outside of here.(not sure if this place has an RP forum though. Oh well.) 

Anyway I was planning on replaying Fs2 with mediaVPs since I forgot those until the end when I first played. Whoever made those did a beautiful job! After that Im not sure what to play next. I was thinking of Diaspora since I recently got into BSG. Previously I have played BP and WIH along with Derelict and the search for Bosch. I played a few other mods but I cant recall. I tried inferno but I could never get that to install correctly. Some suggestions would be nice. Also I was wondering how interesting is Freespace multiplayer? I have never used it before.

Welcome, mosshadow!

The only thing that I have to say is, use FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 so that you can use MediaVPs 2014. FSO 3.7.2 RC4 is just as stable as a "final" release, and it's the only version that MediaVPs 2014 is compatible with.

Welcome, mosshadow!

The only thing that I have to say is, use FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 so that you can use MediaVPs 2014. FSO 3.7.2 RC4 is just as stable as a "final" release, and it's the only version that MediaVPs 2014 is compatible with.
'

Thanks I installed that version. I cant tell any difference from the previous I used before though.