Author Topic: Completed Blue Planet - AoA......wow  (Read 2201 times)

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
Completed Blue Planet - AoA......wow
What can I say that hasn't already been said a million times before?  I know it isn't canon but it damned well should be!  Anyone who doesn't love this has something seriously wrong with them.  This belongs in a retail box!

Campaigns like this one prove something people sometimes forget: Freespace is no more 'just a space combat sim' than the movie "Aliens" is just another action movie.  It's about the characters and the moments that hit you in a soft place.  I'd like to personally thank all the people involved for utterly ripping my guts out more than a few times throughout this adventure.  I'd write them all down now, but those would be spoilers.

This is believable.  It fits.  It belongs.  This one moved me.  it was like playing the first Freespace all over again for the very first time. 

Shut up and take my money.

xxx,
ionia23
"Why does it want me to say my name?"

Offline Snarks

Re: Completed Blue Planet - AoA......wow
If this is your reaction from just playing AoA, then you're in for a real treat for Acts 1-3 of WiH.

If this is your reaction from just playing AoA, then you're in for a real treat for Acts 1-3 of WiH.

TBH I liked AoA better. Mainly because it has more Shivans. And the missions are more straightforward.

Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline ionia23

Just started WiH act 1 after taking a crack at "The Blade". Never in a bazillion years did I think I'd have a chance to try operating a capital ship (which I am terrible at, we learn by doing).  Folks have taken this game 100,000 light years beyond anything even the original developers imagined.  Just......I'm having to resort to duct tape to keep my jaw off the floor.

As for where they are going with the story, I'd like to share my favorite quote from my favorite voice actor from "Derelict" - "Looks like the defecation's about to hit the ventilation".

Offline CT27

TBH I liked AoA better. Mainly because it has more Shivans. And the missions are more straightforward.

I thought the first part of WIH was fairly straightforward and it was Tenebra that had more 'gimmick' missions?

There's still a jump in complexity between AoA & WiH part 1.

Offline ionia23

Still working my way through Act 1 of War in Heaven.  I have to say, this is what i'd expect if Issac Asimov and Larry Niven wrote the storyline, but had the production handled by, I dunno, David Lynch.  Absolutely astounding.  Brain? Eh, who needs 'em.  The folks behind this campaign are nothing short of pure genius.  talk about nailing it.  And not just because it looks pretty.

The quality of the missions and story are amazing. Now you just have to deal with the pain of knowing there's potentially an act IV and V out there... *somewhere*. :P

Still working my way through Act 1 of War in Heaven.  I have to say, this is what i'd expect if Issac Asimov and Larry Niven wrote the storyline, but had the production handled by, I dunno, David Lynch.  Absolutely astounding.  Brain? Eh, who needs 'em.  The folks behind this campaign are nothing short of pure genius.  talk about nailing it.  And not just because it looks pretty.

I'm doing the same, and I couldn't agree more. I can't help but root for the Tevs, though I do feel bad about it.

The Karuna is a thing of beauty. I'll never get tired of flying alongside those ships.