Author Topic: Ordering support ship to repair and rearm wingmen?  (Read 196 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Ordering support ship to repair and rearm wingmen?
Hi there. Is there a way to instruct a support ship to repair and rearm a specific fighter/bomber? And if not - can I feature request this please, and if so how?

I ask as I was playtesting the other night and several of my wingmen had taken some damage, and one was below 10% hull. I got them to follow me to a safe area and called in the support ship. What does it do? Goes to the craft with say 95% hull first and only fixes the ‘10% hull and on fire’ fighter last - after repairing about four other only slightly damaged fighters. 😂 Grrrr…

A ‘rearm my target’ option on the comms menu would be ideal, especially if issuing the order pushes the craft to the head of the queue.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Kie99

Re: Ordering support ship to repair and rearm wingmen?
There never has been as far as I can remember.  I think you could order a repair with cheats, but I've never seen the usefulness of it. 

Friendlies call for rearm when their missiles are depleted anyway, you can't see how many missiles they've got left.  On the repair side, subsystems are self repairing if not completely destroyed, and a friendly fighter that's taken so much damage that it's lost a subsystem altogether will probably be dead before the support ship gets to it.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
In the normal game it is only possible with cheat codes.

so www.freespace2.com and ~+R on the target.
Saved me many restarts of missions, when mission critical ships were disabled by accident.

There are very few mods which add a "Rearm/Repair my target" order in the comm menu for the support ship. But i ever saw that only in one or two occasions.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 12:43:40 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
There never has been as far as I can remember.  I think you could order a repair with cheats, but I've never seen the usefulness of it. 

Friendlies call for rearm when their missiles are depleted anyway, you can't see how many missiles they've got left.  On the repair side, subsystems are self repairing if not completely destroyed, and a friendly fighter that's taken so much damage that it's lost a subsystem altogether will probably be dead before the support ship gets to it.

Fair point but my mod has support ship hull repair too, so there is a second reason for calling in support ships. I’m guessing that since retail doesn’t use support ship hull repair V never thought about how it might be used, or how to get the AI to use it properly.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
In the normal game it is only possible with cheat codes.

so www.freespace2.com and ~+R on the target.
Saved me many restarts of missions, when mission critical ships were disabled by accident.

There are very few mods which add a "Rearm/Repair my target" order in the comm menu for the support ship. But i ever saw that only in one or two occasions.

Thank you, that sounds promising. Any idea what mods that was in?

Also - how does one feature-request things, since this would be handy to add to future FSO builds, if possible. Cheers.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
There is a SEXP called "good-rearm-time" that overrides the AI's reluctance to rearm for any reason.

You could tie an events that uses it to a button press for an immediate fix. I would also recommend to increase the number of support ships at the same time if you do that.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I always wanted this feature for those occasions when one of my poor bastard wingmen would end the mission disabled and with their comms destroyed, so they couldn't even call for help to fix their engines.