Author Topic: HTL Athena and Athena MK2 - COMPLETED!  (Read 35349 times)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Re: HTL Athena and Athena MK2 - COMPLETED!
I played around with the names in the POF and managed to fix that red light issue. Whether it works or not, I don't know (it does on my computer), but I can upload it if anyone's interested.

IIRC I only fixed the original though.

Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Yes, please. It gets agrivating after a while not seeing one side of the ship unlit. :D

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Grrr, FileFront is really acting up today.

And I think I have a fixed Mk2 version somewhere... I just don't feel like extracting it out and recompiling my VP's right now. :blah:

<--- Click the smiley

Just chuck it into your Port folder - the TBM's already in there. :) I didn't really bother about what was inside the TBM though... just that +nocreate and a bunch of entries for trails.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Also, more of a consistancy nit pick than anything else.....
Every other model in the game has the red lights on the models left side (when facing the rear) and the green lights on the right.

The Athena lights in this model are reverse of that.

If the lights for the Athena are actually correct, (which I do not think they are, but not being a pilot, I have no idea) that is going to be alot of work, so should the ones on the Athena be switched to match the rest of the models?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Even though I never decided to say anything about that, yes, the red lights are supposed to be on the left side, the green on the right. The tail light is also red (although I don't know why), and there's white lights under the nose.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Actually, presuming that current aerial light marking conventions still apply in FS1&2 era, the lights should be as follows:

-green static lights on starboard side (right when looking forwards), red static lights on port side (left when facing forwards) as already explained

-bright (or yellow) strobos aka blinking lights on centerline (nose, tail, upside and downside)

And of course landing lights, taxiing lights and... umm... nevermind that. :nervous:

;7

Although it should be noted that in Freespace, navigational lights do not really serve their purpose like they do on atmospheric flight or at sea, because crafts can roll so that there's no way of knowing the ship's attitude just by observing the lights.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
But still, all terran vessels (as a hold over) are still possessing of them in both FS1 and FS2, so they should all still be on the correct sides. And you can tell with the lights a ships attitude, that's another reason why they are present. Airplanes can roll too.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
But still, all terran vessels (as a hold over) are still possessing of them in both FS1 and FS2, so they should all still be on the correct sides.

Agreed.

And you can tell with the lights a ships attitude, that's another reason why they are present. Airplanes can roll too.

In fact, no. Airplanes can roll, yes, but they are still bound to be upright most of the time, unlike spacecraft.

In space, ships can be at any attitude with no limitations. So, let's assume that there's a ship which has two red lights on the left side and two green lights on the right side. You see two red lights horizontally in front of you. All else is dark and the ship is stationary. There's no way you can tell for sure from this information alone, which way the ship is sipposedly headed. IT could be heading left, if its upside happens to point at the same direction as yours; but it could also be pointing to your right side if it happens to be stationed inverted in relation to you.

Obviously, separately cycled front and rear strobos would provide sufficent additional information to completely define the ship's attitude by navigational lights.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
That's what the top and bottom lights would dictate to you in your above example. Most undercarriage lights would differ in type or orientation than the topside running lights.

Supposing the ship in your example was light-correct Athena, the tail strobe/amber tail light on the top would provide the final clue as to bearing and orientation.

¤[D+¬>

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
:nervous: Wow...

:lol: I didn't think about the lights really. I only had the thought of getting the lights working so that it's not as visible a nitpick in-game, didn't really care about the lights themselves. I'm fine with the way I'm using them now. Light show :nervous: :lol: :nervous: Funny how sometimes I'm so overly picky, and other times I'm not...

It may have been TrashMan's mistake since all I did was a rename job to his POF. That, or maybe I inadvertently added my own lights to it or something and somehow screwed up the order...

(sorry TrashMan for accusing you.)

I'll take a look. :)

edit:

:wtf: <---- click smiley
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
What is "k1_cRO_WoE_January_27th.wmv" ???

Does not look to be the actual file after all?

**EDIT: N/M, I reload the page and it finally sends the "Athena_HTL_CL.vp".

Thank you.

¤[D+¬>

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
:wtf:

Sure, no problem. Anything wrong, let me know. :)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
That light problem still persists?????

I might have to look into this mistery.. TO THE MISTERY MACHINE!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline CaptJosh

Or even the Mystery Machine. :P
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
That light problem still persists?????

Well it'd be appreciated if Zacam or Commander Zane reply back to verify if the fixed POF works okay. My guess is they were among the downloaders. :)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
For which one, the normal Athena or the Mk II variant? The first one works but still not the second.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
The first one works

Alright, thanks. :)

I dunno, I'm just not in the mood to upload another file right now. In the car mood. :lol: Not to mention that it uses its own table and stuff, and with me playing with the SCP's offerings, I usually ditch it straightaway for my own table, or adapt it to fit.

(Plus I think mine is modified in other ways apart from the lights, which btw are probably still the reversed set - have to scour my folders for an original copy again.)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
:doubt: <---- click the smiley

New file uploaded, but I haven't tested it yet. Any volunteers? I don't want to screw up my mediavps folder anymore for fear of breaking multi.

As usual, credits to TrashMan, not me. :) It's not in a VP this time though, being a non-canon craft.

EDIT: Damn, I shouldn't have suggested the mediavps for a directory. Deleting that part of the extended description now... (alas, I'm too late, one guest already downloaded the file. Crap... if that guest comes back here, I wanna apologise to him/her...)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 09:45:11 am by asyikarea51 »
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
The one I grabbed worked perfectly well, though I as well simply extracted the contents out of the VP and put in the dir (renaming to bomber01.pof.)

¤[D+¬>