Author Topic: Just another Valkyrie WIP  (Read 26606 times)

Offline Water

Just another Valkyrie WIP
The textures are still in progress

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Just another Valkyrie WIP
Anudder one? Or is this VA's one? Err, me is confused.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Looks a little stubby.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Water

Looks a little stubby.
Ortho mode rather than perspective.
Anudder one? Or is this VA's one? Err, me is confused.
The nose on VA's one is more polygonal

Offline Snail

• SC 5
But why do we need to make another one?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Well it looks very nice, but errm....why a Valkyrie when there are loads of other untouched ships?

Or was it just one of those 'I wanna do the X!' moments? ;)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Scorpion please

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Scorpion please
Yeah, the Scorpion ruled.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Is anyone actually sure that VA's working on one... the only place I've seen where anyone mentions VA working on a Valkyrie is that thread that Goober locked. "Is there an HTL..."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Is anyone actually sure that VA's working on one... the only place I've seen where anyone mentions VA working on a Valkyrie is that thread that Goober locked. "Is there an HTL..."
I'm sure he is. If he wasn't he would've said so by now.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I am, yeah. It got put on hold for media VP things when the FSU team was formed, and has remained on hold due to subsequent projects. I'm around 1/3 of the way through texturing.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Why does nobody want to round off those corners? We've had what, four iterations now, and still the same low-poly engine blocks with accents and greebles. *sulks*

On the plus side, the ambient occlusion maps look wonderful. The seams on the armor are a bit too high contrast with the rest of the hull, however.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Topgun

can we see a perspective view? it looks nice but va's looks more like an interceptor, this looks too "heavy". good for a valk spin-of tho.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Offline Water

Well it looks very nice, but errm....why a Valkyrie when there are loads of other untouched ships?

Or was it just one of those 'I wanna do the X!' moments? ;)
It's on the BWO list and has no htl version  ;)
Why does nobody want to round off those corners? We've had what, four iterations now, and still the same low-poly engine blocks with accents and greebles. *sulks*
That has been bugging me, but was hoping to get away with it. Looks like it needs more work. Is it just the engine block? as I'm mostly happy with the rest.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
It could use a few more greebles, but other than that and the engine blocks it's great

Offline Solatar

It's torture...so many unfinished Valkyries, not one released. It should be a race.

....GO!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
That has been bugging me, but was hoping to get away with it. Looks like it needs more work. Is it just the engine block? as I'm mostly happy with the rest.

I shall post an image to illustrate.

Basically what you did to the neck and the cockpit, but to the rest of the hull as well.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Water

Basically what you did to the neck and the cockpit, but to the rest of the hull as well.
It's at 5k now excluding pilot. So that may add a bit extra. I'll give it a shot.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name

I shall post an image to illustrate.

Not necessarily so simple...

Where's all the smooth! :p

Some of the "blockyness" could be interpreted as design feature and/or overall shape of the ship, some not so much.

I would say the real trick is in determining what's supposed to be there and what should be changed from angled to curved, from blocky to smooth, adding small detail in overall, and retain the overall look of the original so that it's instantly recognizeable as a new version of the old one (and there isn't too great a change between LOD's).
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.